Exp:Conq Expeditions: Conquistador - Review @ CPUGAmer

Expeditions: Conquistador

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A rather low score of 6 out of 10 for Expeditions: Conquistador was handed out by CPU Gamer, of which the reviewer also thinks that Kickstarter will never work for computer games.

Expeditions: Conquistador is a Kickstarter funded game. Kickstarter is a neat idea and I totally respect it as a way to fundraise, but I don’t think it will ever work for computer games. Blizzard got where it is today by releasing games “when they’re done”, but Kickstarter games are released on a tight schedule, and generally have to match what they said they were going to be in the Kickstarter campaign, with little room for improvement or refinements that would make a better game than what was advertised. The campaign in this case reached the $70,000 goal with a few bucks to spare, and they did release the game quickly. Props for that… past that, I wish they’d refined the game.
The summary of the game is brief.

There’s just barely enough here to make a passable game, but it’s a near thing, and only those who can handle the short-sightedness of the design will likely get the most out of it.
More information.

What tight schedule and whatnot is that guy talking about?

Expeditions on initial release had (a few annoyances aside) NO BUGS.
I'm the person who likes games when they have no bugs and I really don't care if those were made by Blizzard or not.

Passable design? Okay I guess ppl have different tastes. To me Expeditions is a great small gem and in fact a proof that Kickstarter can give out good games.

The world map camera does feel a bit constrained, I agree on that. But I consider that a relatively minor complaint. It seems this reviewer generally struggled with the rather slow pace of a turn-based game.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Lets assume that Expeditions is a 6/10 game. To now judge the whole Kickstarter concept on one game, is rather daft. Have this guy ever heard of Indie games? So if a game wasnt produced by blizzard or some other big corporation its not finished. I would say this game was Finished, period. If he doesnt like the game it doesnt mean its full of bugs or unfinished. And another thing for a game with a $70 000 budget and from an unknown developer I'm very impressed. I want to hear what this dude has to say when one of the big budget kickstarters (>$1million) from some of the more well known developers come rolling in. The industry really needs to get hold of people that know something about computer games to do reviews, not some guy thats cut his teeth on tablets and ipods.

Totally agree with joxter. I think the reviewer doesn't like TBS or maybe the game was too hard for him or whatever. And Kickstarer works well with computer games - that's a fact (or maybe this guy thinks that Wasteland 2 or Project Eternity is 6/10 game as well.... Anyway I like Expeditions: Conquistador it is unique in its design and execution and thumbs up for that!!
And BTW: if this reviewer thinks that Blizzard is the best - well think again - do you REALLY want to wait 10 years for a Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2? And in the meantime play nothing....?

Ah here we go with the relative grading scale… 6/10 means (or at least it should mean if you're using the full scale) that it's a slightly above average game. I kind of agree. I enjoyed it, but all things considered it was an above average game to me.

"There’s just barely enough here to make a passable game" = this is a bit harsh, though.

"Kickstarter games are released on a tight schedule"? Guy seems clueless. There's no real requirement to stick to your schedule. Not to mention, Banner Saga and Double Fine Adventure are both almost a year late already; and Blizzard didn't get where it is today by releasing crap like Diablo 3.

I haves played it for a few hours and based on their budget I think they did a great job with this game.

This guy will sure be embarrassed once these bigger KS games will start coming out. 10 years from now, this review will be posted by trolls whenever he pisses someone off.

Back
Top Bottom