RPG Predictions for 2018

So Scummvm support is now confirmed for World of Xeen. Thats one for me. Time to make those Gold Box remakes Wizards of the Coast!

CelticFrost looks likely to be spot on about a Cyberpunk trailer. Hastar will be happy to learn a Kickstarter is planned for this November regarding Knights of the Chalice 2.

My problems with these old games are the graphics just don't scale well to modern large monitors. scummvm doens't help with that - it just makes them easier to run on linux (my preferred platform). Graphics aren't everything and i'm not one to complain about high fidelity that some folks argue over with modern games but i don't want graphics to hinder the play....

Most Triple AAA RPG's transition to the GaaS model.

Crowdfunding continues for Indies RPGs, but with more skepticism.

More Indies RPGs fill the void left from large publishers.

Kinda just my three predictions so say Late 2018-2019.:)

*Copper Dreams will be loved by virtually every Watcher who plays it, but won't win GOTY 2018 because many won't play it, as they find the retro graphics too off-putting.

*Other indie RPGs like Sacred Fire, Disco Elysium, etc. will also have a high love to play ratio, yet also won't win GOTY because relatively few will play them.

*GOTY 2018 will go to some mediocre overhyped AAA / AA / Mainstream console RPG presumably in large part because it is played by the most Watchers.

*People who don't even play Disco Elysium will continue to insist that it is not a real RPG because it lacks a combat system (in the traditional sense), despite having deeper RPG mechanics than many RPGs that center around combat.

*After the disappointment of PoEII & Pathfinder, CRPG developers and fans will finally realize once and for all that RTwP combat is hopelessly inferior in every way to turn-based tactical combat and henceforth there will only be TB CRPGs (OK, that is just wishful thinking on my part, not a prediction… unfortunately..:p).

*After the disappointment of PoEII, CRPG developers and fans will finally realize once and for all that RTwP combat is hopelessly inferior in every way to turn-based tactical combat and henceforth there will only be TB CRPGs (OK, that is just wishful thinking on my part, not a prediction… unfortunately..:p).

Corrected it for you ;)

2018 will see yet more news for Skyrim in the form of patches, mods and other things in these forums. This will in turn attract anti-Bethesda trolls who will respond in these posts with something along the lines of "Yous be wankers for likin' dat shite game, innit?". I also predict similar negative responses to this prediction, however people may hold off as to avoid fulfilling prophecies attributed to themselves.

Chris Avellone climbs onto the roof of Obsidian headquarters, and demands Feargus Urquhart surrender himself in exchange for his hostage.

Sawyer takes to Twitter, and describes him as "unbalanced".

For Bethesda fans: Todd Howard announces Elder Scrolls VI is in development and they've finally done away with all those pesky numbers. No more esoteric stats! Your character is just instantly awesome at everything they do. Also, the game world is so big that it will take you until the release of Elders Scrolls VII to walk from edge to the other.

For Bethesda fans: Todd Howard announces Elder Scrolls VI is in development and they've finally done away with all those pesky numbers. No more esoteric stats! Your character is just instantly awesome at everything they do. Also, the game world is so big that it will take you until the release of Elders Scrolls VII to walk from edge to the other.
Close prediction but that would be Fallout 76 instead.:biggrin:

ES6 is still in pre-production after a short teaser trailer with no information.

He may yet announce he's begun work on Grimoire 2 and just think of all the years of fun that would create!! :)

Actually, He will have three more patches for Grimoire first, each announcing that the manual for Grimoire will appear in 2 weeks. It won't.

-The next Dragon Age game will not be a single player RPG but boring like always since Origins. ;-)

Actually it will be an online RPG/Dating simulator where you can pair up with Bioware's trademark companions or other players.

Jon Van Canegham will do a Kickstarter that takes us back to the days of Might and Magic. The final battle you will fight with the great Werdna. Try and make a better prediction then that :)

Knights of the Chalice 2 will be released.

Dark Heart of Uukrul will get remade my Bethesda.

New Dungeons and Dragons MMO based in Greyhawk will be made. This will use AD&D rule set. Starting area will be Keep on the Borderlands and In Search of the Unknown. Will go all the way thru Against the Giants and Queen of the Demon Web pits.

Skywind will finally be released.

JVC gets the rights back to the HoMM series.

Goldbox games will be remade using the Kingmaker engine.

Fallout 5 will be made using the Fallout 1 engine.

Battle Brothers will get mod support.

Eador Genesis 2 will be made.

While you're at it, why not wish that Electronic Arts and Ubisoft are abandoned by their customers and go bankrupt, and all their IPS return to the people who actually developed them, so they can create great games again?

Last edited:
Actually it will be an online RPG/Dating simulator where you can pair up with Bioware's trademark companions or other players.
Four years ago I would of called this crazy talk but not after Anthem.:uneasy:

Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries will be RPG of the year. :celebrate:

Bards Tale….that just may be where I'm resting all my hopes that the rest of this year isn't simply a snore-fest.

All your hopes? Not Copper Dreams? Disco Elysium? Odd Gods? Vigilantes? Sacred Fire? Hero-U?

Back
Top Bottom