Dark Souls - Steam, extra content on consoles

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Eurogamer reveals there will be a Steam version of Dark Souls and the implication seems to be that version will use Steamworks, rather than GFWL. It looks like the retail box edition, however, will use GFWL.
The extra content developed for the PC-only Prepare to Die Edition will be released as DLC for consoles, according to IGN.
More information.

The Eurogamer article does not say that the Steam version will use Steamworks. I think that the Steam version, like all other Capcom games and games that require GFWL, will still require subscription and login to GFWL to activate the game and access its multiplayer features. Japanese developers mainly develop for consoles (Xbox) and therefore more familiar with GFWL netcode. It does not make sense for them to make two separate versions with GFWL and Steamworks (their previous comments prove that).

well, I'm not gonna preorder until I get a clear picture. Thanks for killing the inadequate buzz SpoonFULL. I was really excited for a few seconds there

The EG article is somewhat equivocal. It states that 'there will be a GFWL Live version' available in shops. This appears to be distinguishing the GFWL version from the previously mentioned Steam version. Describing them as different versions implies that there is a difference between them, and mentioning GFWL as the distinguishing feature of the product that will be sold in stores implies that Steam version will not be GFWL.

I believe that is a fair reading of the EG article, however, I also suspect that the Steam version will be lumbered with GFWL, and that there has been a miscommunication at some point.

Regardless, I'll likely grab this on Steam. I love Dark Souls and I'll enjoy replaying it with added content and 30 FPS in Blighttown :p not to mention being able to play while my partner is watching her shitty soaps and reality shows in the evening!

I am also looking forward to playing Dark Souls on PC, and will be willing to live with GFWL just like I did for other games that use it, but I hope that they get the controls right.

Back
Top Bottom