CD Projekt RED - Won't Sent Letters to Game Pirates Anymore Interview @ PC Gamer

Which implies that people tend to rather believe pirates than legit owners ?

In the early days, people just look for any early indicators about a game without questioning the source too much. In later days review aggregation sites and forums don't typically provide any means to distinguish between a legit game review and a pirated game review.

But it's the early stuff that hits the hardest - once you set an impression it tends to influence other reviewers regardless.

Bioware had a neat solution in place for NWN - put a key check on posting on certain boards of the official forum, including those dealing with bugs. People with illegitimate copies would try and moan about bugs on one of the open boards and be told to go post it on the right board, which they couldn't.

It was a stupid practice and it is good that CDPR stop it , my first copy of the witcher was pirated (on a CD someone gave me) and this introduced me to the series , no piracy = me not buying several copies of both Ws .
From the attitude i see around pirating a CDP's game is considered sacrilege , atrocity and so on .

Putting triggers into games make the whole thing much more interesting like when 100's of thousands of leechers start complaining in the internet that the game is trash. Also there is a problem that those triggers can be fired in legit games, there was a case in Paradox forums where players with registered copies had a "bug" that was known issue of the pirate version.

Exactly. The IP address is proof that copyrighted material has been downloaded from that address. So a further investigation is warranted and justified and whoever's (household/individual/corp/whatever entity) IP address it was has every right to prove they are innocent.
Naturally the "in dubio pro reo" and innocent until proven otherwise concepts hold true and need to be obeyed until the investigation has been concluded. There is no contradiction here.

Or are you trying to imply there should not be any investigation in the first place at all? Why? Let's say someone finds a dead body in the street with no clue who might have done this. Well, should the police not start an investigation at all because they might run into and have to interview innocent people during the investigation? Right.
Anyone trying to make a case for no investigation is asking for an "innocent a priori" assumption and not "innocent until proven guilty". Big difference.

What I mean is if you're not guilty you have absolutely nothing to fear. Let them investigate as much as they want. Hell my father is on the military; I'd never be against investigations =D

Putting triggers into games make the whole thing much more interesting like when 100's of thousands of leechers start complaining in the internet that the game is trash. Also there is a problem that those triggers can be fired in legit games, there was a case in Paradox forums where players with registered copies had a "bug" that was known issue of the pirate version.

It can backfire, yes. But that's something for the programmers to take care of. Both how to implement it and how to make sure it triggers only when needed. As an IT graduate I've seen many many fellow programmers use only one part of the brain, reaching only for the logic. That made them extremely narrow minded. Once you apply a little creativity and chaos in the mix things really flow much naturally.

Last edited:
Yes we should be on a crusade against the Company who abused and used their advantage and what did, humiliated the innocent persons who where just using the curent disponible technology. I don't understand what are the intentions of those individuals that were behind and still are that complained against such abusive actions. Degradation of such comunity makes me shamefull to be asociated in anyway or another.

Last edited:
"The letters were sent out by a Berlin-based German law firm called Reichelt Klute Aßmann on behalf of CD Projekt Red. They demanded the payment of 750 euros (nearly $1,000) and the signing of a cease-and-desist declaration, otherwise threatening a lawsuit in the amount of 30,000 euros (almost $40,000). Furthermore, the cease-and-desist declaration included a contractual penalty of 6,000 euros. "

http://www.rechtsanwaltskanzlei-urh...g_CD_Projekt_RED_Sp._Z.o.o._RKA_The_Witcher_2

This absolutely sounds to me like German Abmahn-Industrie !

ha, its even worse than i thought. haha. I would feel so stupid if I ever supported them, lucky I was not only unknowing but also poor at the time.

such overrated studio, bleah, I'll fight everyone I know who will try to buy their games.

Given that just about every publisher has done something like this in its past, I'm guessing you won't be playing too many games going forward and getting in a lot of fights.

The reason why they could be sued is because it would be intentionally sabotaging the product.

Which in most places isn't illegal so long as they can show that you were using the product 'not as intended.'

Yes we should be on a crusade against the Company who abused and used their advantage and what did, humiliated the innocent persons who where just using the curent disponible technology. I don't understand what are the intentions of those individuals that were behind and still are that complained against such abusive actions. Degradation of such comunity makes me shamefull to be asociated in anyway or another.

I guess they should be sentenced to no producing games anymore, as a kind of punishment to their behaviour.

Last edited:
This reminded me that I was to grab the Steam version of Witcher. Turned out it was just ~8 euro so now I bought Witcher: EE twice.

While they could have went about it in a different way I fully support there right to protect their IP.

What I find weird is the people saying how despicable CDPR's actions were but seemingly being fine with people enjoying their game without compensating them for their hard work.

Yes, I find this weird, too.

It's like … erosion of honesty.

Kind of like … a gangsta sayin' "Everybody does it, so what ?"

Ah, yes, nice to assume that I did it, too. Fool.

To each his own bros. I don't get you, you don't get me lalala, fuck CDPR the end
Anyway i wonder, being on a RPG forum, you guys always play the lawful types? haha, 'cause if you are not, that would make you hypocrites

You are imho very selfish in your assuming that everyone is a hypocrite -> faked honesty because of your assumed non-existing honesty in people.

It just shows you how dark your soul already is that you assume that under everybody's skin there just lives a criminal.

You can try what you want, you won't get me into pirating a game.

im not trying to do that to you. I'm trying to make you be true to yourself. Because at the moment, you're lying to yourself
take some time to chew it through

Erase all your MP3s, your downloaded TV shows, your downloaded movies, any ebooks you didn't pay for, all your "abandonware", stop watching Youtube videos that don't have sponsor links, turn off your ad block.

And fuck your hypocrisy about piracy.

Oooh yeah, "stick it to the man," guys! You show 'em!

"What's this? CDPR like to release their games DRM-free, and they run a site where you can easily buy great games DRM-free at low prices? Fuck those guys! I will fight anyone who supports them!

Let's all wave the black flag! Nevermind the fact that normal people who have jobs and prefer to just pay for things are forced to put up with increasingly Draconian DRM because of our actions… We're doing the world a favor!"

I swear… Rebels without a clue. :rolleyes:

Erase all your MP3s, your downloaded TV shows, your downloaded movies, any ebooks you didn't pay for, all your "abandonware", stop watching Youtube videos that don't have sponsor links, turn off your ad block.

And fuck your hypocrisy about piracy.

No sir, fuck you. I've never pirated any software or anything else. Bought my games, music and movies.

When I was 7 I stole a pack of rolo's from a store. When my parents found then I got my ass beat and had to return the candy and apologize to the store manager. My parents actually asked them if they wanted to press charges. Fortunately they did not. It was the first and only thing I ever stole in my life.

So I'm not a hypocrite at all. Maybe all you people that feel you are entitled to just take what ever you want with out paying for it just need a good ass whooping and a scare.

To each his own bros. I don't get you, you don't get me lalala, fuck CDPR the end
Anyway i wonder, being on a RPG forum, you guys always play the lawful types? haha, 'cause if you are not, that would make you hypocrites

Congratulations! This comment completely solidifies your award for the utterly unique title of "Resident Village Idiot". I guess every forum has at least one, but your claim is unique. Good job. ;)

From a developer that makes the calibre of role-playing games that CDProject have thus far, I don't have one iota of sympathy for the piracy advocates.

Pirating will never end. It will only grow and become more mainstream.

Companies will have to be creative to work with it rather than against it.

I'm rarely anything other than a Paladin, so yes, lawful good.

Back
Top Bottom