Laptop SSD as external PC drive

Another possibility is to use Parted Magic and do a "secure wipe" (available on the Ultimate Boot CD). It's only worked a couple times for me but worth a shot.

No idea what that is but I'll do a Google search soon. It would be nice to get it working as it would be cool to have at least 100gb of open SSD if just used for recording 4K videos.

If you can find the official utility, that'll also let you do a secure erase (basically a factory reset). Like you said though, there's a high chance it's busted.

I found the Kingston SSD Toolbox. Both of the SSDs I have are Kingston, and the program does recognize my main SSD, but the other SSD still isn't recognized. I'll keep looking into it.

Weird that the SSD would be busted since I didn't even really use it at all. It was the hard drive in my Steam streaming laptop. I thought SSDs were supposed to last longer than that...

The actual flash memory would last a long time, but there are other components that can fail, for no good reason. If the toolkit can't see it, I don't think there's much can be done.

I heard baking an SSD slightly in an oven can revive it. LOL! Don't try this at home unless you research or whatever. It was just something I read on a site when researching this and a few people actually reported it worked. I don't think I'll try that but man, I will give the "secure wipe" thing a shot. I really want this SSD to work. :p

Last edited:
Please don't put it in the oven, unless you wish to make an example of it for all your other hard disks, teaching them the awful price of failure.

I fear that secure erase won't be an option if the utility can't detect it.

I'm late to the thread, but I run 3 internal ssd's through an external dock. I've got a dealy that will run either full-size sata drives or laptop sata drives. It works great. I can use it to replicate drives or just power them up via USB 3.0.

I'm late to the thread, but I run 3 internal ssd's through an external dock. I've got a dealy that will run either full-size sata drives or laptop sata drives. It works great. I can use it to replicate drives or just power them up via USB 3.0.

Nice. I might do that when I fill the last SATA III slot on my motherboard with an SSD.

I heard baking an SSD slightly in an oven can revive it. LOL! Don't try this at home unless you research or whatever. It was just something I read on a site when researching this and a few people actually reported it worked. I don't think I'll try that but man, I will give the "secure wipe" thing a shot. I really want this SSD to work. :p

Never heard this (and seriously doubt it'd work). What I did read was for mechanical disks that were unreadable, putting them in the freezer (in a sealed bag) could make them readable, it wouldn't fix them, but it could make them readable long enough for you to transfer important files to another disk.

Never heard this (and seriously doubt it'd work). What I did read was for mechanical disks that were unreadable, putting them in the freezer (in a sealed bag) could make them readable, it wouldn't fix them, but it could make them readable long enough for you to transfer important files to another disk.
Reminds me of a long ago DSL modem with dried capacitors, in order to turn it on I had to make it warm, i.e., put it into an oven beforehand.

Hey.

So I have this older laptop SSD I'd like to use as an external drive for my PC. I have the right cable (it's a SATA to USB 3.0 cable), it fits the drive perfectly and all that. I've tried several USB ports, both 3.0 and 2.0, and still can't get the PC to recognize the drive. It makes the USB device added sound, then a few seconds later it makes the device removed sound and then an error message comes up that Windows can't detect the device.

Any ideas? I'm on Windows 10. There may be some tricky way to fix this but I'm just not sure about this stuff. Thanks in advance!

You should follow the below-given steps to fix the issue,
1. Click Start, and then click Run. ...
2. Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. ...
3. In Device Manager, click your computer so that it is highlighted.
4. Click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
5. Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Source: http://www.pcerror-fix.com/fix-usb-device-recognized-windows-8

Back
Top Bottom