SLI a GTX 970 or...?

Based on this thread, I grew curious and checked out my 1070. I don't understand modern computer tech. I bought the thing for $435 last year (minus a rebate and a game code I sold, bringing it down to about $350). A year later, it's listed at $450.

:anxious:

Makes you wish for the days of technology actually evolving at more than a snail's pace, with prices being halved after 6 months.

Based on this thread, I grew curious and checked out my 1070. I don't understand modern computer tech. I bought the thing for $435 last year (minus a rebate and a game code I sold, bringing it down to about $350). A year later, it's listed at $450.

:anxious:

Makes you wish for the days of technology actually evolving at more than a snail's pace, with prices being halved after 6 months.

It's not technology not evolving, but the new cryptocurrency craze requiring GPUs to be mined. GPUs are now harder to come by and there's a bit of a shortage, creating a vast price increase

Well, it should be between the 1070 and 1080. Other pricing wouldn't make much sense.

What do you mean? I thought the Vega was a little bit better for a small increase in price? Maybe not though. Also, it comes down to what kind of deal I can scope out on eBay. I could end up getting any one of those three cards depending on the deal.

What do you mean? I thought the Vega was a little bit better for a small increase in price? Maybe not though. Also, it comes down to what kind of deal I can scope out on eBay. I could end up getting any one of those three cards depending on the deal.

Vega is not better than the 1080. It goes like this 1080>Vega>1070.

4k is a rich mans game. Hardware isn't nearly ready enough. The whole purpose of 4k is just to give PC enthusiasts somewhere to spend their wasted GPU power because the industry is lead by consoles and 1080p rendering being high end.

I reckon a 1070 will only give you like 20% better performance than a 970. That's like 1fps per $100 spent upgrading :p

ed: Remember, a 1070 is just a 980ti. You only just bought the 970 cos the 980ti was too much, but now you're going to buy it anyway. Just save up longer and hop on at the high end when you can or play on a sensible res. :)

20% only? Sheesh. If that's the case I won't even bother. I was expecting a much larger boost. @Damian; posted some decent charts though. I figure at least ELEX will be okay...maybe?

Do you have Amazon warehouse in US? In UK, Amazon warehouse sells returned or refurbished hardware and it comes with 12 month warranty. They are usually 20% - 30% or cheaper than new stuff. At least in UK, Amazon has no question asked return policy and they also pay for returns. I have bought many PC parts from there and not had any issues. Also 8 out of 10 times, I get "good as new" products from them. Once or twice, some products had 1 or 2 scratch and I was going to return them and spoke to support via chat but they reduced the price by additional 15% so kept it! Who cares about a scratch on monitor!

SLI and crossfire are proved scam, nothing works properly with it.
4K in gaming in year 2017. is IMO scam sold to brainwashed console players through upscaling.

Don't do any of it.

newegg is not always the cheapest. Also you can use partpicker and set notification for a target price. amazon is frequently not a good place to buy computer components ('cept ssd). Other reputable shops include microcenter (in store; mail order not that great price wise); frys (they have weekly fantastic deals but require that you receive a code via email); superbiz and b&h.
-
The problem with good deals on video cards is that right now supply isn't that great. I thought about mentioning vega earlier but historically amd parts are better for bit mining and therefore scarcer (bitminers have probably kept amd solvent the last 5 years). As I noted in an earlier post I've not been tracking gpu prices since I'm set for the next few years (I use 1070 with 1440p but I'm not that picky about somethings that drive others crazy). It is hard to predict what will happen price wise the next 2 months because of scarce supply.
-
One thing that would help prices is if bitminers would shift to snapdragons.

If you are in the US, you should buy from newegg.com, they are the cheapest. They even have Black Friday deals so you should wait for that.

The AMD Vega 64 is $570 USD there:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...2300&cm_re=amd_vega_64-_-14-202-300-_-Product

The NVidia 1070 GTX is $420 USD:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=gtx_1070_nvidia-_-14-125-893-_-Product

The NVidia 1080 is $510 USD:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...084&cm_re=gtx_1080-_-14-137-084-_-Product#top

You should buy the 1080 from there. Seems like a great deal. I mistyped 1080 previously in there so the 1080 is cheaper than the Vega 64 there.

I'm only picky because I want to do a 4K video Let's Play for YT. In before you all say how LPs are wack. :p

But thanks again for the help. Hoping to get a good deal on a 1080 and then at least be able to play ELEX in 4K, even if it's not all Ultra settings, good looking enough to have a higher quality 4K LP for the game.

20% only? Sheesh. If that's the case I won't even bother. I was expecting a much larger boost.
You might get a bit more depending on the game. :)

970 has about 1600 cores, 1070 has about 1900. That's only about 15% more. Memory bandwidth on 970 is 224gb/s and 256gb/s on the 1070. The 1070 GPU does go about 500MHz faster so, yeah, I would expect gains no higher than 30% maximum.

(BTW 1070ti has about 2500 cores, same as 1080... Basically the 1070ti is a full 1080 gpu with cheaper, but perfectly good, gddr5 ram and not "ddr5x", I think it was called.)
@Damian; posted some decent charts though. I figure at least ELEX will be okay…maybe?
Elex looks like it runs pretty poorly, in general. Kinda typical of PB games. I couldn't run Gothic3 with acceptable performance. I remember upgrading and trying it again and it was still pretty bad. I'd say everything BUT elex will be ok, though! :p

4k Lets play sounds like an impossibly massive video to upload. At least you have amazing net. :D

I agree with Mo. A second 970 is a dead end, and having to replace the mainboard too makes it completely unattractive.
The 1070 Ti is just coming out on Nov 2ndl. Give it a few weeks Give it some time to push down the 1070 and find its place between the 1070 and the 1080. Then buy a single card you consider most attractive and sell your 970.

20% only? Sheesh. If that's the case I won't even bother. I was expecting a much larger boost. @Damian; posted some decent charts though. I figure at least ELEX will be okay…maybe?

I’m not sure where sir James is getting his numbers from but every 1070 benchmark I’ve seen has it 50-60% over 970. It actually beats the 980ti and titan x (maxwell) in most benches.

Here’s a coupl reviews, a simple search will find many more.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-performance-overclocking-and-conclusion-page-2

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-3.html

Cool, thanks. I'm hoping that by the time I have the money together I can maybe get lucky and get a 1080 in a great deal on Ebay for $400-ish. Maybe less if I really get lucky. But it might be awhile because I have actual bills to take care of first. Blast!

When it's time to buy all of this info will come in handy though, so thank you all for the input. :)

4k Lets play sounds like an impossibly massive video to upload. At least you have amazing net. :D

Some of my Oblivion series was 30gb per video, lol. Still took awhile to upload as our upload speed is not on par with the download speed, or even upload speed of something like FIOS (although our DL speed is way higher than most FIOS, go figure.)

I figure an ELEX 4K LP in 4K @ maybe 55mb/s bitrate would make a 15gb-ish video. I just let it upload overnight or whatever and it works out okay. :)

Looks like my budget might be more of a GTX 1070 and not 1080. I think the 1070 can get me close, though. Saw benchmarks that showed an FPS very close to 30 @ 4K on Ultra settings (exact number was 28.8 or so.) I'd turn down a setting or two to High instead of Ultra and I think I'd be around a comfortable FPS of 40ish (or more) which would work for me.

So anyone have a GTX 1070 for sale or trade? Message me if so. :)

If you are into small you can get a mini-1070 and build an itx system :)
-
Btw if your motherboard is very old it might require a bios update or simply not work with newer gpu. I know you have a 970 but I can't remember exactly when there was a pci change. I know that my sandybridge system (very early board) required a beta firmware (there was never an official release) that require manual installation to use a newer gpu. I think the board had a p67 (not 100% sure); it might have simply been a pci 2.0 vs pci 3.0 change but vaguely I think there was something else involved. Anyways it worked fine after the firmware upgrade - unfortunately that firmware had no real gui for other mb settings so it was a bit of a pia.
-

Back
Top Bottom