Avowed - Leaks and Rumours

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Windows Central has posted an article according to which an early working version of the game would be close.

Details on Xbox exclusive Avowed: The Outer Worlds meets medieval fantasy

[...]

Sources familiar with internal plans have reached out to us in recent months offering details on Avowed, moving through pre-production towards a playable alpha state. Indeed, Obsidian is likely close to having a working early version of the game, with many mechanics and core gameplay pillars already implemented. I can't be sure how old some of the footage I've seen is, and there's a good chance it's far further along.

[...]

The Outer Worlds fans already have plenty of reasons to be excited about Obsidian's upcoming slate, given that The Outer Worlds 2 has been confirmed. Avowed seems to be based on a similar, albeit enhanced engine from The Outer Worlds, complete with action-oriented first-person combat and deep RPG exploration and narrative systems. We were told Avowed will feature multiple class playstyles and borrow from Skyrim's two-handed combat system. You could wield two daggers and be a stealthy rogue, or dive into archery with a two-handed bow. You could use a combination of swords and magic, or go full two-handed magic, which is required to wield some of the game's more potent spells and abilities.

Avowed will feature many elements Pillars of Eternity fans will be familiar with. Wizard spells like Jolting Touch, which can fry enemies with forks of lightning, will be present. Two-handed spells like Fireball are conjured using complex-looking hand gestures, but decimate enemies in a storm of magma and fire. I also saw status effect spells like Fetid Caress, imbuing enemies with corrosive poison. Weapon enchantments seem to be a big feature too, with magically enchanted swords and frozen arrows, as examples. Pillars-style guns may also appear in the game, similar to the muskets and arquebuses found in the original two titles. Familiar creatures such as the lizard-like Xaurips will appear, alongside much larger and deadlier threats, all the way up to wyverns and drakes.

The combat seems to be more loadout-based than The Elder Scrolls, which gives you mountains of spells in a gigantic list. Warriors will get access to more physical attacks like swordplay, powerful kicks, and shield bashes, while casters will be given a range of spellbook options to customize and tailor their combat style, with attacks bound to specific buttons.

[...]
More information.

Maybe it will be shown at the Game Awards, december... OW was anounced there too....

Well one can hope, looking forward to this game so far, thanks for the post Red!

Yeah, I'd like to see how this one is shaping up, even if it's early days. I'll be curious to see what they can do with a AAA budget. For years I've thought someone should try to make a better TES style game.

Still the same rumors going around for the past year nothing new. Don't expect any news about Avowed till late 2022 at best as the release should be in 2023 or later.

Obsidian looks to have four games in development.

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/show…postcount=1570

Last edited:
It's nice they have the lore and can build on it.

I suppose that if it's action-oriented, they're more likely to drop the ruleset they used in PoE then refined in PoE2, in favour of something simpler? Or will they use it in the background, like a KotOR? It would be sad to see one fewer round-based system (hard to qualify what it exactly was, in fact), but on the other hand I've never been convinced by theirs. It's personal though, maybe I haven't spent enough time to appreciate it.

In any case, I hope they're not trying to squeeze the game into old consoles' limited memory and end up with a lesser version. From what I understand, that's what they did with The Outer Worlds and it wasn't for the better.

It's nice they have the lore and can build on it.

I suppose that if it's action-oriented, they're more likely to drop the ruleset they used in PoE then refined in PoE2, in favour of something simpler? Or will they use it in the background, like a KotOR? It would be sad to see one fewer round-based system (hard to qualify what it exactly was, in fact), but on the other hand I've never been convinced by theirs. It's personal though, maybe I haven't spent enough time to appreciate it.

In any case, I hope they're not trying to squeeze the game into old consoles' limited memory and end up with a lesser version. From what I understand, that's what they did with The Outer Worlds and it wasn't for the better.

They wouldn't be doing that as it is made for the newer consoles...

Concert? I cannot wait to hear what they play;)
Thank you for pointing out and targeting a misspelled word.

Here have a cookie.:cookie:

Just a heads up it will be a Game-pass title on launch as well.:)

Just a heads up it will be a Game-pass title on launch as well.:)

Well didn't think I had to spell that out since it is a MS company....

Well didn't think I had to spell that out since it is a MS company….
Just writing it before you did that's all as usual. Still it's a cheap price to pay. Anyway we all know Obsidian's, inXile, and all future Bethesda games will be on Game-pass as well.

The uncertainty over whether its an open world or hub based like outer worlds has taken some of the excitement away; I hope it's open world. I love the Elder Scrolls but they need a competitor in the 'huge world to get lost in' genre

So after reading that article again there really isn't any new info. What's new is his supposed sources who claim it's near an Alpha state, and that he's seen footage.

One question though where is this supposed game-play footage?

Still the same rumors going around for the past year nothing new. Don't expect any news about Avowed till late 2022 at best as the release should be in 2023 or later.

Obsidian looks to have four games in development.

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/show…postcount=1570

Avowed seems hit or miss to me, good chance it'll be something I could like.

But I would give many dear things for a PoE3 or similar game (please be a fantasy setting, not a historical one). Especially if it comes with TB mode from release.

Fingers crossed!

Avowed seems hit or miss to me, good chance it'll be something I could like.

But I would give many dear things for a PoE3 or similar game (please be a fantasy setting, not a historical one). Especially if it comes with TB mode from release.

Fingers crossed!
There still might be hope for another Isometric PoE game. If you click the link it has information on their current projects. One of them is with Bradon Adler and a small team.

Even Josh Sawyer is working on a small secret project set in a historical setting.

Also for reference here is all the known rumors and available info.

• Avowed will be "fully open world" and much larger than Skyrim, but not necessarily in total size. The world will be "denser" and "more contrasted"—which presumably means diverse.
  • The main setting will be The Living Lands region of Eora, which is a northern frontier not seen directly in either Pillars of Eternity game.
  • There will be a "big focus" on world reactivity, lighting, and next-gen AI systems.
  • There will be a real-time weather system.
  • Character creation is supposed to be very advanced and detailed.
  • Mod support is planned.
  • The world will have lots of factions, but they won't be similar to Skyrim's factions.
  • You will be able to enlist the help of companions, but it is supposedly very different to how it works in Obsidian's other recent RPG, The Outer Worlds.
  • The game will feature boss battles that happen on a very large scale.
  • Two large cities are being planned, with smaller settlements dotting the map and large areas of wilderness.
  • Creatures and wildlife will be based on Pillars of Eternity lore but will make new additions.
  • "Dynamic presentation of dialogue"—whatever that might mean.
  • Obsidian wants to make it possible to kill anyone in the game, similar to how Morrowind let players terminate the main plot by killing certain key characters.
  • Around 100 people are working on the game currently, and it's been in development for two years with seven months of pre-production.
  • The target release window is late 2022 or early 2023.

There still might be hope for another Isometric PoE game. If you click the link it has information on their current projects. One of them is with Bradon Adler and a small team.

Even Josh Sawyer is working on a small secret project set in a historical setting.

Yeah, I saw the mention of a historical setting in your link, which I feel would be bad news for me. Hopefully, they stick to fantasy.

PS: Avowed sounds pretty good, but again, after Outer Worlds also sounding pretty good and being mediocre at best, I'll hold my expectations. Also, release window being early 2023 means it'll release in 2024, so it's way too early to look forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom