Monster Hunter: World - Over 20 Million Units Sold

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Wccf Tech reports that Monster Hunter: World has sold more than 20 million units.

Monster Hunter World Has Shipped Over 20 Million Units

CAPCOM announced today that Monster Hunter World has now shipped over 20 million units globally (including Iceborne Master Edition) across all platforms. The Japanese publisher highlighted the successful long-tail sales of the game.

In recent years, Capcom's promotion of digital sales has enabled it to realize long-term, global sales for its major titles. With the January 2018 release of Monster Hunter World in particular, Capcom was able to propel the Monster Hunter series to global-brand status with a series-first worldwide simultaneous launch coupled with international promotional activities, establishing the game as Capcom's best-selling title of all time within a month of its release and being honored with awards the world over. In the more than three years since the game's release, in addition to promoting digital sales, Capcom also launched Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, a massive premium expansion for the game, as well as a bundle containing both titles, capitalizing on synergies with Iceborne and resulting in prolonged sales that led Monster Hunter World to achieve a Capcom all-time record of 20 million units shipped.

[...]
More information.

It's a fun game with a lot of content, so I can see where the success comes from. Good on them.

Another game that proves Jeff Vogel was correct.:p
If your game is barely functional, somewhat coherent, and gives you a sufficiently satisfying way to grind away your time, gamers will give you a billion dollars. Games that ship in a buggy, non-function state rocket to the top of the sales charts all the time. That's how tolerant gamers are. They don't even require your product to WORK!
Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/news/spiderweb-software--jeff-vogel-on-videogame-stories-46440.html

Do you literally run around…killing monsters? Is there any story? I need something beyond mayhem, and destruction to keep me interested. I know you have to use different manoeuvres to kill different monsters, including running up the backs and whatnot, but that sounded horribly gimmicky Do they still have those 'pawns' or whatever they were called from the earlier game?

edit: godammn spell checker doesn't work!!!

Do you literally run around…killing monsters? Is there any story? I need something beyond mayhem, and destruction to keep me interested. I know you have to use different manoeuvres to kill different monsters, including running up the backs and whatnot, but that sounded horribly gimmicky Do they still have those 'pawns' or whatever they were called from the earlier game?

edit: godammn spell checker doesn't work!!!

That's basically it though half of the fun is getting the increasingly cool and rare sets of armor that you can craft by harvesting each different monster. Figuring out how to beat them is also fun, each different weaknesses and strategies to follow, when you first get to a new monster, you can't just bruteforce it for the most part.

It has multiplayer, but it's one of the rare cases (for me) in which I found that playing alone is more fun than with others, as coop kinda removes any challenge from the encounters, simply because monsters will focus on different people and open themselves to attacks from whoever is not getting focused. Single-player is the real deal, where you are alone with the undivided attention of the monster and you have to deal with it.

There is a story, but as Couchpotato said, it's there just to give people a reason to keep hunting harder monsters, and it's as cliche and uninspiring as you could imagine.

It's in a way similar to Dragon Dogma, although missions are contained to a few instanced maps rather than being in an open world. Still fun to revisit now and then for me.

Back
Top Bottom