Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Feature Trailer

Your character fuses with his animal companion and they do movement and attacks as a single entity. Applying bonuses from related feats and gear. There is a class focused on mounted combat - Cavalier, a cross between fighter and palladin. Mounted charge on a horse with a lance does devastating damage.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds neat. Are you sure they act as a single entity though? I just watched a video where the guy claims they still act independently despite moving as one unit.

https://youtu.be/mqqLJpEQWT0?t=258

I realise this is dangerous talk, but what I've seen of this isn't doing much for me. The whole world-is-on-fire-and-there's-demons-everywhere setting doesn't really appeal.

Whew… I thought I was the only one. :)

Mechanically, it looks solid, but I'm not overly enthused about the setting.

There is a but of a plot twist too which I assume is explained in later chapters.
Oh let me guess your the prophetized chosen one or vessel who will doom or save the world once again? This is pretty standard for RPGs like this game so yeah.:biggrin:

Will my gnomish artificer be able to mount her autobolter on the triceratops mount, I wonder?

I feel rather comfortable with the whole "Demon Invasion" plot myself.

Not because I think it's novel or particularly interesting but because I have a suspicion that if writers tries for something more original & different, the chanse that the story will be a total mess, increases a great deal.

Pillar of Eternity, was such an example for me. Initially, I was all fired up about the "different approach" of investigating an "epidemic of stillborn children" but the longer I played the game, the more I felt the plot was convulted and so I lost interest in it and it became "sidequests all the way". :S

I realise this is dangerous talk, but what I've seen of this isn't doing much for me. The whole world-is-on-fire-and-there's-demons-everywhere setting doesn't really appeal.
Yep, that was my problem with game from the very announcement of the adventure path.

I also played the alpha back then and my somewhat exaggerated complaint was that you don't do anything besides fighting demons in destroyed buildings.

I'm also not a fan of the mystic paths. First I don't like being the chosen one again, second I don't think the additional layer in character progression and rule mechanics is necessary. It just gets a little too complex.

BUT Owlcat can and imho will still make a good or even very good game of it. I'm very much looking forward to it and I'll have tons of fun.

I feel rather comfortable with the whole "Demon Invasion" plot myself.

Not because I think it's novel or particularly interesting but because I have a suspicion that if writers tries for something more original & different, the chanse that the story will be a total mess, increases a great deal.

Pillar of Eternity, was such an example for me. Initially, I was all fired up about the "different approach" of investigating an "epidemic of stillborn children" but the longer I played the game, the more I felt the plot was convulted and so I lost interest in it and it became "sidequests all the way". :S
I agree, PoE is bit heavy on the plot. But I have to admit there was a real effort on the setting, now they can use it as a franchise on several games. I don't know what to think of it yet.

For Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Owlcat's creative director (Mishulin) said:
It's about the same as Kingmaker [Paizo's Adventure Path], we consider ourselves as DM for this adventure, and we are taking the story and retailoring it for the computer game audience.

For Wrath of the Righteous, they also modified the Adventure Path but consulted Paizo to have an external opinion (and authorization I suppose):
We worked with Paizo, we have a lot of calls and discuss anything we'd like to change, or new material we'd like to introduce into the game. They're really great partners to work with, because every time we discuss something, we come to a solution that we like and that Paizo likes as well. We also have a lot of freedom.

The Mythic path is very different from the tabletop material. They have the same idea of progression beyond the limit of normal character progression, but our version of the paths are tied to the powerful beings and different alignments and builds off of this.
The same goes for the story, of course we discussed all the changes to the story, and how we want it to progress. We got complete freedom when we envisioned those.

After the discussion we came to the version that we liked and it got into production. So in terms of freedom I've talked with different IP holders during my career, and Paizo is really the easiest to work with, we have common ground and common understanding of how Pathfinder works, what makes it a great IP and what shortcomings are. We play a lot of Pathfinder at Owlcat, we played the tabletop campaign of Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous. Every member of the team had to play, and we really love those tabletop moments, so it's easy for us to understand each other.
So those are based on existing material that they knew and even played with, but they adapted it to a computer game format, and didn't do it alone. It's quite reassuring :)

(that's from the Q&A in May)

I am the chosen one, destined to rid the world of the demonic scourge! I am the castle janitor, hoping to keep the kobolds from taking over our castle until the master gets back and blasts them all with a single spell! Whichever. Just don't do another insanely prolonged ending and it will be fine.

I agree, PoE is bit heavy on the plot. But I have to admit there was a real effort on the setting, now they can use it as a franchise on several games. I don't know what to think of it yet.

For Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Owlcat's creative director (Mishulin) said:

For Wrath of the Righteous, they also modified the Adventure Path but consulted Paizo to have an external opinion (and authorization I suppose):

So those are based on existing material that they knew and even played with, but they adapted it to a computer game format, and didn't do it alone. It's quite reassuring :)

(that's from the Q&A in May)

True, it's pretty good to have your own I.P. setting all established. And to be fair, PoE had 2 rather large expansions where I did enjoy the story a great deal more.

I guess I simply enjoy a more "down to earth" kind of storyline. More Politics, plots, conspiracies, rebellions & Military Strategy. Less divine-interactions/souls/metaphysical-elements, philosophical issues, cosmic-stuff etc. etc.

Well…something along those lines. ;)

I'm also a bit bored by the old "save the world" meme, but this time it seems to be more lighter vs. more darker, but that's only my very personal impression.

Besides, all this "epicness" is imho clearly directed more towards extroverts than towards introverts, because of the string emotions such a setting evokes.
It will be like a rollercoaster trip.

I am the chosen one, destined to rid the world of the demonic scourge! I am the castle janitor, hoping to keep the kobolds from taking over our castle until the master gets back and blasts them all with a single spell! Whichever. Just don't do another insanely prolonged ending and it will be fine.
Yeah, the prolonged ending of kingmaker was a bit of a slog.

You know you're in trouble when somebody sets up a store just outside your "dungeon."

Back
Top Bottom