HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer published their orignal Diablo 2 review again:

Diablo 2 (2000) review

It's a whole new Baal-game...

To mark the launch of Diablo 2: Resurrected, we're publishing our original review of Diablo 2. This review ran in PC Gamer UK issue 86 in September 2000. We're working on a fresh review of Diablo 2: Resurrected now the game is live, and you can find Fraser's impressions here.

My arm hurts. And while there are some things I want to say about Diablo II which are by no means in its favour, my criticisms ultimately count for nothing when set against that pervasive muscular ache. Although I will call it repetitive and unoriginal, claim that it encourages inelegant play, and curse its fetishistic immaturity, the plain, painful fact is that Diablo II is the most brutally addictive game I've played since Half-Life. It devours time. You sit down for a quick play--just to find the next dungeon, you tell yourself; just to get your bearings in the next section--then you regain consciousness with the alarm clock ringing from the bedroom and an arm so tensed from all-night mouse-clicking that it barely feels part of you any more.

The game's fundamental hypnotic appeal is obvious; a tried-and-tested formula. You create a puny and impoverished character, then run around a fantasy world fighting monsters. Your efforts are rewarded with increasingly powerful weapons, armour and magical items, and an alter-ego which grows in ability as he or she gains experience. As the game progresses, then, you get to tackle more powerful monsters... and are rewarded with even heftier power-ups... which enables you to defeat even more powerful monsters... which results in a still further enhanced player-character... and so on.

[...]

And of course Diablo II compares unfavourably with a pure-bred fantasy-set RPG like Baldur's Gate in terms of variety, plot and dialogue. But the model here is Gauntlet, not Black Isle's recent forays into the genre. It's designed to be an accessible action-RPG with mass-market appeal, a compelling multiplayer mode and long­-lasting depth. And on those terms it succeeds magnificently.

The excellently differentiated character types, and the fantastic breadth of skills available within these classes, makes this a game which is genuinely worth playing several times over, trying different characters and tactics each time. In fact, I'd play it from the beginning again right now--as a Sorceress, this time--were it not for the fact that my arm hurts so very, very much...

Score: 90/100
More information.

I came here thinking the news was related to D2:R review :p

Agree it's just a re-post of the review of the old version.:nod:

I came here thinking the news was related to D2:R review :p

All of the clicks with none of the effort! :D

Same - I had been thinking about grabbing it for the Switch, since Diablo III is actually an excellent port that is a blast to play in portable mode ... but evidently the PC version is a hot mess and the Switch port is so bad that they mistook the 'remastered' version for the 'retro mode' :D

but evidently the PC version is a hot mess and the Switch port is so bad that they mistook the 'remastered' version for the 'retro mode' :D

The reviews I've seen so far were mostly positive (PC version). There's been some mention of server issues in the multiplayer, but the game itself seems to be pretty well received. Too bad about the Switch port. I wonder if that's just due to the console specs.

I grabbed D2-R for PC when it released on Thursday. The server situation is a total mess and I haven’t been able to log on to an online character during the day and early evening. But I have been able to play in the early morning and later at night, I guess when the server pops are lower. It’s a spectacular visual update to the original game…just stunning when compared to the original. I think the problem for me is that it’s a coat of paint on a 20 year old game…with a 20 year old gameplay design. I adore D2 and played it for hundred of hours when it was new. But when compared to modern games it has lost a step and feels very simplistic now, sometimes even verging on boring. I don’t regret this purchase at all and plan on spending some time with this game. But I doubt I’ll sink hundreds of hours into it again. But if you are interested in revisiting D2 I would highly recommended this. Just be prepared to have your nostalgia meet reality. :)

I'll consider picking this up when great old games gives it the work-over that it truly deserves. Having to play a single player game on some server thing are shenanigans that I simply won't tolerate these days, and should a conversion never happen, at least I have functional memories! -)

Well - good that the PC version is OK aside from server nonsense.

Too bad about the Switch port. I wonder if that's just due to the console specs.

Considering Diablo III plays and looks great, I wouldn't think so - sure no one will pretend it is a PC but I tend to think it is just a crappy port.

I've been playing it offline and there have been no problems. Looks great and is a nice update. It is already starting to get boring though and the nostalgia is wearing off pretty fast. I have only finished Act 1.

I think Act 2 takes place in the desert which I really enjoyed back 20 years ago. I think I will at least finish Act 2.

I broke a mouse, back then, playing so much to Diablo 1. Then eventually, I got sick of the game and didn't even bother checking Diablo 2 when it got released. Extreme repetitiveness.

I play PC ARPGs with a controller usually... heathen, I know. (What is funny is that I almost never use consoles. I just like leaning back in my seat with a controller for my Diablo 2 runs.)

So was playing some Diablo 2 last night and comparing it to Grim Dawn, another ARPG I've sunk hundreds of hours into. I played D3, never was into the genre when D2 came out so this is my first time playing it even though I was in my 20's when the original was released.

I was describing it to my wife (another ARPG fan) as... like... hmm. It's a less polished obvious successor to games like Grim Dawn, but somehow it's less "fast paced" at times if that makes sense? It almost feels easier to play in some ways, but I have only about ten hours in with D2 and hundreds with GD so we shall see. Maybe it gets a lot more frantic. Haven't experienced the infamous Hell mode yet.

Ahahaha oh yes Vanedor, I slayed a mouse or three back in the day playing these types of action games myself! Sometimes the poor things just wore out, other times they might slip from a sweaty hand, only to shatter on the floor. Who knew the life of mice could be so bloody dangerous??

I was describing it to my wife (another ARPG fan) as... like... hmm. It's a less polished obvious successor to games like Grim Dawn, but somehow it's less "fast paced" at times if that makes sense? It almost feels easier to play in some ways, but I have only about ten hours in with D2 and hundreds with GD so we shall see. Maybe it gets a lot more frantic. Haven't experienced the infamous Hell mode yet.

I think you meant predecessor. I'll be curious to hear what you think about it after you've played it a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom