Dungeon Encounters - Review @ Gamespew - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeon Encounters - Review @ Gamespew

Default Dungeon Encounters - Review @ Gamespew

October 18th, 2021, 19:54
Gamespew checked out Dungeon Encounters:

Dungeon Encounters Review

Dungeon Encounters proves that you don't need a grand story and fancy visuals to create a compelling RPG.

Released to very little fanfare from Square Enix last week, Dungeon Encounters is a dungeon-crawling RPG that sees players explore a labyrinthine map that feels a little like a board game. You'll move from tile to tile, occasionally coming across events and combat encounters. Ultimately your goal is to get as far as possible, which you'll do by equipping your party with the best weapons and equipment you can find. But it's not easy; even when you think you're unbeatable, it won't be long until you encounter an enemy much stronger than you.

[…]

With some serious talent behind its creation, Dungeon Encounters deserves much more fanfare than it has so far received. This might not be as flashy as a typical RPG from Square Enix, but it's clever, it's engaging, and its simple but deceptively deep gameplay loop will keep you coming back for more. Add to that a killer soundtrack overseen by Nobuo Uematsu, and you've got something rather special on your hands.

Score: 8/10
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
+1:

October 19th, 2021, 00:39
I don't think I've seen a "professional" game reviewer give this game a bad score yet. Not that it really means anything to me either way, but it's interesting considering how the masses seem split in two on this one.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 19th, 2021, 00:40
Originally Posted by FurtiveNyctophile View Post
I don't think I've seen a "professional" game reviewer give this game a bad score yet. Not that it really means anything to me either way, but it's interesting considering how the masses seem split in two on this one.
Hmm…I smell a conspiracy…must get my amateur sleuth tools.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)

October 19th, 2021, 00:49
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Hmm…I smell a conspiracy…must get my amateur sleuth tools.
Yes. They didn't have enough money to properly advertise the game; but they *did* have enough cash to buy off all the major game review outlets… muhahaha!

--

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

October 19th, 2021, 00:52
Yes. They didn't have enough money to properly advertise the game; but they *did* have enough cash to buy off all the major game review outlets… muhahaha!
It's probable but more like the game is niche and it's fans love it.

Anyway look at this it does happen though.

Link -https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/show…postcount=1169
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

October 19th, 2021, 02:05
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
It's probable but more like the game is niche and it's fans love it.

Anyway look at this it does happen though.

Link -https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/show…postcount=1169
Late stage capitalism never fails to shock and entertain me.
--

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

October 20th, 2021, 09:44
I've read you are royally f*ed up when you encounter tough monster who kills your party. How do you cope with such situations, FurtiveNyctophile?

muhabor

Sentinel

October 20th, 2021, 18:02
Cannot be any worse than the early Wizardry's/Bard's Tale games, you simply made another team to go down and retrieve corpses. Which, honestly, is probably how you tended to learn which classes worked best with others, and how to make a cohesive party unit that would function better in the dungeons. This is a game I look forward to trying out at some point!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

October 20th, 2021, 23:35
Originally Posted by muhabor View Post
I've read you are royally f*ed up when you encounter tough monster who kills your party. How do you cope with such situations, FurtiveNyctophile?
A few ways, which is more than I can say for early games like Bard's Tale 1 (which I just played the remake of on PC and loved… lol, that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from with my "fun" …) - so I'd say the following:

1) You gain, very early on, the ability to see encounters on the map. If you don't know what a code means or you see that a code like 'FC' (Treasure Hunter, in this case) on, say, floor 10; you can just avoid it. I got a codex entry on the Treasure Hunter mob and decided I definitely didn't want to fight it. So I just avoid it.

2) You gain, very early on, the ability to run from fights.

3) You have, from the start, multiple party members at "The Academy" and if one party dies you basically just send your "B" team (or one stealthy person) to go recover the petrified/corpsed/consumed/whatever bodies of your companions.
--

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

+1:

October 20th, 2021, 23:36
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Cannot be any worse than the early Wizardry's/Bard's Tale games, you simply made another team to go down and retrieve corpses. Which, honestly, is probably how you tended to learn which classes worked best with others, and how to make a cohesive party unit that would function better in the dungeons. This is a game I look forward to trying out at some point!
lol, see above. "Making another team to go retrieve corpses" is VERY much alive and well in Dungeon Encounters.

I saw one person's (positive!) review on Steam as follows, and I had to laugh:

"It's like a dungeon crawler meets a spreadsheet; but I like spreadsheets so I like this."
--

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

October 22nd, 2021, 17:35
Thank you very much

muhabor

Sentinel

October 22nd, 2021, 17:41
I briefly checked out our Fluent playing this game a few days ago, which only intrigues me even more.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

October 26th, 2021, 23:38
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I briefly checked out our Fluent playing this game a few days ago, which only intrigues me even more.
What happened to Fluent? He used to post here all the time. Last I heard from him he was playing Tortured Hearts and posting about that I think. (Tortured Hearts was a game I wanted to get into… but… I don't know… it was a little on the bizarre side even for me, who likes bizarre.)

Otherwise usually when Fluent likes a game I know I will as well.
--

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

October 27th, 2021, 00:13
What happened to Fluent? He used to post here all the time. Last I heard from him he was playing Tortured Hearts and posting about that I think. (Tortured Hearts was a game I wanted to get into… but… I don't know… it was a little on the bizarre side even for me, who likes bizarre.)

Otherwise usually when Fluent likes a game I know I will as well.
He comes and goes with no explanation so it's hard to tell every year. Last time I read a post from him he claimed he got co-vid. So I hope nothing bad happened to him.
--

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

October 27th, 2021, 01:01
Oh bummer. I hope he's ok as well.
--

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

October 27th, 2021, 03:26
Fluent seems to be doing ok, I would have no idea except he seems inclined to play types of games that I like a lot, so I saw him on youtube.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeon Encounters - Review @ Gamespew