Salvation Prophecy

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Available on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/248450/

They say it's RPG, I dunno what's RPG in it, did anyone try that one?

Oops, I wanted to post this in general RPG section, but… Can mods kick it there please? Since it's threadstarter, can't delete it and then repost. :(

This was asked on the steam forums for Salvation Prophecy.

Salvation Prophecy is tough to pin down genre-wise, because it's a mix of different things. But I would call it an "action RPG". ARPGs commonly have RPG gamesystems, like health, armor, inventory, leveling, stats, skills, etc. But they're lighter on things like dialog and story, and focusing more on fast paced combat.

Salvation Prophecy does have some story, but it doesn't really kick off until you start exploring alien planets, at around rank 4, a few hours into the game.

It is more about combat and advancement. If you enjoy combat (both on planets and in space), Salvation Prophecy might be a good fit. If you don't like a lot of combat, it probably won't be your thing.

and…

So, the RPG in Salvation Prophecy is a pretty simple RPG. Your character has 3 weapon slots, and 1 armor slot only, and each faction only has 3 distinct kinds of weapons which upgrade in a linear fashion. It has "stims", which are temporary combat boosts like a potion. It has levels (military rank), exp ("rank points"), and currency ("cred") with which you can buy stuff. Later in the game you can collect runes, which are like sci-fi spells I guess (using fantasy RPG lingo). There is no loot - you earn cred from missions and buy upgrades from your space stations.

It has a very simple skill tree, which are mostly automatic bonuses, but each faction has a unique activatable skill.

Your ship is also upgradable in 8 different areas: shield, reactor, energy bank, shield generator, missile bay, beam weapon, engine, and emp.

So there is a lot of stuff to advance/upgrade. But each individual aspect is fairly simple - the complexity of the game lies in how it combines different genres (a bit of shooter, aprg, space sim, and strategy) into a more complex whole to portray a wide-scoped galactic war.

Most people there seem to be having a lot of fun with it. Although some say it starts a little slowly at first.

I played it but never finished it.Every part of game is lacking but as whole it's ok game.It can be fun but my advice is if you have something more interesting to buy or in backlog play that.

I quite enjoyed Salvation Prophecy when it was first released a year or so ago. The biggest compliment I can give it is that even though it pulls from several different genres and gameplay types, it successfully ties together as a cohesive, well-paced experience. It treads close, but never crosses, the "jack of all trades, master of none" threshold. As a result, the diversity is ultimately a strength rather than a weakness.

One very important thing to keep in mind: the game world evolves quite drastically, in a very good and dynamic (unscripted) manner. For example: Early planetary battles are very simplistic, featuring two opposing sides comprising of only infantry slugging it out. It's easy for the initial reaction to be of the underwhelming variety.

However, as each faction progresses (by gaining resources, upgrading to new technologies, etc.) the battles get bigger and more involved. By mid-game, defensive turrets will appear. Later on, gun-ships and other new wrinkles arrive. It's a neat way of slowly introducing the player to the feel of combat while making it more interesting as time goes by. The player's movement is wooden and the shooting lacks punch, but the chaos and thrill of these battles is quite a blast as they continue to grow in scope. It's a shame that the base gunplay mechanics aren't more polished, and more tactical depth would have been nice as well.

Space battles are another entertaining endeavor. The feel of the ships took me some time to get used to - as did figuring out how to survive - but I found space battles quite satisfying once I had everything figured out. Additional gameplay includes faction management in late-game (after earning promotions), technology upgrades, large-scale wars with aggressive (but fair) A.I., strange space exploration in uncharted sectors, and more.

Salvation Prophecy might not blow everyone away, and it's certainly not the deepest space game around, but I found it very addicting in spite of the rough edges and lack of triple-A polish. Fortunately, I did not encounter any serious bugs, which is always a plus for an indie title. I recommend it to those starving for a unique "Mount & Blade in Space" type of feel - so long as the relatively unpolished, low-budget feel doesn't scare you away.

Last edited:
Thanks Nerevarine for the concise review. Sound interesting and mentioning 'Mount and Blade' in space touched a sensitive nerve that I have for this unique genre.

Couldn't care less for mount&blade. :D
But from all those descriptions the game could be more fun than some overblown AAA titles. And on this initial -25% price... Sold.

I'll pass I played version 1.0 last year and didn't care for it. Now back to Witcher 2 and Skyrim again.;)

TW2 replay is set in my book for the next year a month before TW3 gets released.
Good luck having fun with Skyrim, I got cronic diarrhea from that game. Yea I know, many got the same thing from reading my posts - but at least they didn't pay for it nor I claimed I've written a masterpiece.

S. Prophecy is currently installing.

Thanks Nerevarine for the concise review. Sound interesting and mentioning 'Mount and Blade' in space touched a sensitive nerve that I have for this unique genre.

Yeah, there aren't very many open-world, unscripted/dynamic games like Mount and Blade around, that's for sure. I especially enjoy the mixture of the player's actions having an effect on the game world and dynamic, world-changing occurrences that happen outside of the player's involvement. This type of "living" open-world is very rare to come across.

Just keep in mind that Salvation Prophecy's combat isn't on the same level as M&B (mechanics or depth wise - though there are some fun abilities and the scope of battle is fairly large and definitely exciting), and you might like this game.

Back
Top Bottom