ATOM RPG - Kickstarter live

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Kickstarter campaign for the postapocalyptic RPG ATOM has started:

ATOM RPG

A crazy and dangerous adventure in the post-apocalyptic Soviet Russia.

The deterioration in relations between Eastern and Western blocs in the 1979 has led to a full-blown Armageddon between nuclear powers in the year 1986. The War was swift, devastating and brutal… The fact that humanity persevered was miraculous.

Nineteen years have passed and it’s 2005. Both once great Empires and their allies now lie in ruins, but on top of those ruins new civilizations are slowly emerging…

This story takes place on a small patch of land in the south part of the USSR where you take the role of an undercover operative from a secret bunker society called ATOM… Your mission is to find any traces of an expedition that recently stopped contacting the main base…

ATOM is a passion project. It will be finished no matter what. But, with your help we will be able to do it much faster, as well as add more interesting content to the final game! But we don't want to make unsubstantiated statements so feel free to download the latest build and check out ATOM for yourself! Thank you for your attention!

Features:

Nonlinearity: ATOM is an open world role-playing game! You are not going through a corridor, you are investigating a mystery. And this could be achieved in numerous ways. There are no artificial boundaries in the world of ATOM. Oh, and there are no "essential characters" in the game. So everybody is a "fair game" ;)
Characters: There will be more than 300 characters in the game. ALL of them with their unique personalities, portraits and dialogues!

Encounters and Quests: There are numerous side missions, hidden adventure-like puzzles and secrets scattered around the Wastes. Even the smallest tasks can lead to a big and intricate side story, open some details about the world or somehow interconnect with the main quest! And of course, like in every self-respecting RPG there's always more than one way of dealing with them.

Combat: A turn-based combat system isn't just a nod to the legendary generation of CRPGs. For us, it's also an aesthetic choice. What's the point of combat, when you can't enjoy your every thought-through move, your every step, shot or punch? What's the point of victory, when it wasn't precisely planned in a cunning strategic move?

Weapons and Items: There will be more than 30 available weapons in the full version of the game. Soviet weaponry, makeshift shivs and guns as well as some secret weapons from the Western bloc the existence of which in the game world will be neatly tied to the lore!
More information.

Note from the devs:
ATOM RPG is a classic role-playing game with some adventure game mechanics. It is a respectful nod towards the games, books and movies which inspired us through the years, but with enough original ideas to keep the players interested in exploring our world.

We try to put as much detail as we can into our world, our stories, and our characters. Our main goals include creating unique portraits and dialogues for each NPC. The role-playing process is skill-driven, meaning dialogue options and ways to solve a quest depend on the set of abilities the player has. Making the game non-linear is a priority to: you can visit any location on the world map at any time. You can even kill key characters, and still have the possibility of beating the game.

The current alpha version includes: 21 quests, 37 characters, 16 kinds of random encounters (3 of which are unique), 5 major locations and more than 2000 lines of dialogue.

About us:
AtomTeam is an international team based in Russia, Ukraine, Poland and Latvia. Members of the team worked on such titles as World of Tanks, World of Warplanes, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Xenus 2: White Gold and many other original games.

http://atomrpg.com

Playable DEMO:
http://atomrpg.com/cdn/atom.zip

ATOM is a passion project. It will be finished no matter what.
If I had a million dollars for every dev who claimed in the very infancy of his project that it would be finished "no matter what", I'd be a millionaire.

I wish them luck! I would love to see this Fallout-clone released.

Another Fallout clone, what makes it different?

They are not asking for enough imo. They need to build in some slack when coming up with a budget at the very least. What I mean is funds for things that take longer to develop than intended.

Looks great and I want it NAO!

I love Russian RPGs, although many times there is great vision, but weak delivery.
I wish them the best and will definitely buy, if this is kinda bugfree and remotely similar to Fallout.

Looks already more promising that inXile's crappy Wasteland 2! Dunno about Bethesda Farklout, I stopped paying attention after amazing Fallout 2!

Is this going to be another crappy Russian Falllout clone? There have been a number of these Russian attempts through the years, and they all look great, but then fail at execution. I'll have to wait and see, can't see sending these guys any money just because to the track record of these prior games.

If Codex hates this one, I'm in. If not, well... Sorry no bonus.

15K? Even if I consider they pay games 50% the price, it's 30K, still suspiciously low.

Usually Russian games are never released on Mac, looks like they plan do a delayed release with first patch, that's a solid engagement, unlike some vague later release that project does when they gave up do a simultaneous release. This could motivate me pledge.

Is this going to be another crappy Russian Falllout clone? There have been a number of these Russian attempts through the years, and they all look great, but then fail at execution.
List?

I see no reason not to prefer a modded FO2 over a generic Russian imitation.

Does it have any original mechanics?

From what is coming this perfume of xenophobia? It's weird.

I have no problem with Russian developers. However this looks generic and it is hard to see what they think they are doing differently to anyone else. Also, it is hard to make turn based combat interesting when, as it appears here, the player is just controlling a single character (even given Fallout 1&2 did do it that way). $15k isn't going to go very far.

From what is coming this perfume of xenophobia? It's weird.

Russian Fallout clones have a terrible track record. It has nothing to do with xenophobia so that's a straw man.

I don't have a list and I'm not generally sceptical towards russian developers, but this project reminds me of:
  1. Nuclear Union (ukrainian developer, russian publisher), canceled
  2. Krai Mira

No one will give you a list, rofl . You flatter yourself. There has been 289137 Fallout clones made by Russians in the last 15 years and no one cares if you missed them. I'm not even counting those two.

Heh, yeah, when I watched the trailer I thought the same as was mentioned in the comment…a 3d tactics RPG by russians…how is that going to end…
But at least the combat is turn based, which takes some of the nastyness out of it.

Some of my bad experiences comes from games like:
Planet Alcatraz - This must also be the game with the worst english translation I have ever seen. Check my video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QC4S77xR1g
And go to 18:30 to watch the epic ingame cut-scene.
Also had horrible combat.

Now then there is Jagged Alliance 3D, pardon, they lost the licence, renaed it to JAZZ and then to Hired Guns: Jagged Edge. Horrible.

And then there is Alfa Antiterror! From the Creators of, you guessed it: Jagged Alliance 3D (it even says so on the DVD, not mentioning that they lost the license and had to rename it).

Brigarde 7.62: While this game has some fans, this game is horribly broken, including crashes and an absolutely horrible camera movement.

Just to be clear: I hope that they succeed with ATOM, could become a great game. But it might be best to buy it when it's actually finished. This might be a high-risk investment.

Back
Top Bottom