The TV Series discussion thread

Sci-fi can be about many things - but I tend to focus on sci-fi that engages my mind and makes me consider something I hadn't already - as well as shows that convey a very powerful atmosphere, which can be quite profound in science fiction.

Which is why I'm also a huge fan of horror sci-fi. Sadly, 99% of it is complete shit.

If you aren't watching the new series on Twin Peaks, you are missing out on some quality programming. The newest episodes I find much more like the movie rather than the first two series, so if you are watching for coffee and doughnut reasons, this series may not be for you.

Sci-fi can be about many things - but I tend to focus on sci-fi that engages my mind and makes me consider something I hadn't already - as well as shows that convey a very powerful atmosphere, which can be quite profound in science fiction.

Which is why I'm also a huge fan of horror sci-fi. Sadly, 99% of it is complete shit.

The travellers has some new ideas which can be interesting.

Again, not the best thing ever, but some good concepts.

It's on Netflix if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you aren't watching the new series on Twin Peaks, you are missing out on some quality programming. The newest episodes I find much more like the movie rather than the first two series, so if you are watching for coffee and doughnut reasons, this series may not be for you.

I am still behind a bit, but definitely agree.

I'll say this about Twin peaks....that last episode, the eighth one, was on a Kubrick level for style and symmetry. Quite possibly the best hour of television I've ever witnessed, Showtime has something to be very proud of.

I'm struggling to find a great series these days. I tried watching Fargo for the third time - and I hated it even more this time.
Good message for you: You're unique. Bad message: You're a lost soul. There will be no help for you. It's serious. I guess you are an alien. There is no other explanation. ;)

I could recommend you "Stranger things". Personally I feel I want to revisit it one day. Super cool 80s style. And a story, btw, which is 100% on-topic here @ watch!

Well, Fargo lives from being a bit "over the top"… but on a good level. Not too much, so sometimes things that happen come to you as some kind of super epicness and you forget that it was over the top… Also, they manage to make things serious and you forget about the comedy which it seemed to be before…

Fargo movie: 11/10
Fargo S01: 11/10
Fargo S02: 11/10
Fargo S03: 7/10

S03 was too slow for me. Gloria Burgle character did not convince me and was tiring. Artificial references to other stuff Coens were doing (like that god guy as in Lebowsky). I don't know, the thing didn't run fluidly… will re-watch. Varga was OK, Swango also, but I felt they didn't use their potential.

Last edited:
Wait… Season 3 sucks? I mean I didn't watch it yet, but how's that even possible? Did they lose fresh ideas or crazy camera angles and nonCGI effects describing one's mind are removed?

Watched the first two episodes of Preacher season 2 last night, and it didn't disappoint.

I could recommend you "Stranger things". Personally I feel I want to revisit it one day. Super cool 80s style. And a story, btw, which is 100% on-topic here @ watch

I'm not on the Fargo bandwagon, but I agree about Stranger Things. Fantastic series especially if you dig the 80s nostalgia. I think it's the best original series on Netflix.

Good message for you: You're unique. Bad message: You're a lost soul. There will be no help for you. It's serious. I guess you are an alien. There is no other explanation. ;)

I don't like GoT much either, so you're probably right.

I could recommend you "Stranger things". Personally I feel I want to revisit it one day. Super cool 80s style. And a story, btw, which is 100% on-topic here @ watch!

I greatly enjoyed Stranger Things for the first 4 episodes or so - and the nostalgia was palpable. Unfortunately, the characters and plot turned ultra stupid near the end, and I didn't like the rest of it.

But I liked the first part enough to want check out Season 2.

Well, Fargo lives from being a bit "over the top"… but on a good level. Not too much, so sometimes things that happen come to you as some kind of super epicness and you forget that it was over the top… Also, they manage to make things serious and you forget about the comedy which it seemed to be before…

Well, as I said, it might evolve into something better - but the characters played by Freeman and Billy Bob were just ridiculous - and Freeman's wife was beyond a caricature. I just don't enjoy that kind of humor, I guess.

It's like they deliberately find the worst character traits out there and turn them up to 11 - which is completely unnecessary, unless you don't understand subtlety.

Then again, Cohen brothers often make movies that are all but subtle. Personally, I prefer something like Miller's Crossing to their "humorous" movies, with the notable exception of Big Lebowski.

Fargo movie: 11/10
Fargo S01: 11/10
Fargo S02: 11/10

Seems like some lowkey ratings ;)

I'm going to have to call Emperor's New Clothes on this one, sorry!

I'm really glad Lynch left a lot of the first two Twin Peaks series' stylistics behind - the series were something unique in its time (and good when it comes to the first 8 or so episodes), but by now they're really quite dated and if the S3 pursued the same direction it would very likely be dead on arrival, at least for me.

Lynch is one of my favourite filmmakers but it's not thanks to Twin Peaks - my top 3 would be The Straight Story, Eraserhead and Mulholland Dr. as number one, so I'm really glad the new Twin Peaks is much closer to the latter two films than the series; and one might say there are even some hints of The Straight Story (and The Elephant Man) in the "Dougie" storyline.

The episode 8 impressed me on many levels - from sound design/use of music, to cinematography and special effects, to editing and last but not least to sheer audacity to produce an hour of TV series this uncompromising - that I'm starting to think this may not just be he-still-got-it kind of production, but at-the-height-of-his-powers one, if the quality keeps up.

My favourite series from the last few years, Westworld, seems pedestrian in comparison, with all its twists, cliffhangers, ambient music and what not, and it's not just thanks to the above mentioned episode - the whole third season feels much more playful, not bothered with conventions, genuine.

Also, I'm really digging the brand(s) of humour TP3 is sporting - from Lynch's own sort of meta commentary through the character he plays, to Marlon Brando impression guy, to all of Naomi Watts' magnificient scenery chewing, there's been quite a lot of smiles on the way thus far.
Futhermore, I'm quite sure there's a good number of wink-winks when it comes to edit - like in the previous episode (7) which featured up to that point both the fastest paced (and unexpectedly linear) depiction of a story thread, as well as the longest single take where nothing happened.

Also, the "Dougie" storyline manages to be a great mix of funny, touching and social commentary, sometimes at once, and for that touching aspect Lynch could not pick a better character from the original series than he did - a clever way to make viewers more compassionate right away (with some of them likely not even realizing it :)), while not being cheap at the same time (cheap would be retaining that character in status quo).

Anyway, here's me going helooOOOooo for the next 10 episodes.

I'm really glad Lynch left a lot of the first two Twin Peaks series' stylistics behind - the series were something unique in its time (and good when it comes to the first 8 or so episodes), but by now they're really quite dated and if the S3 pursued the same direction it would very likely be dead on arrival, at least for me.

I just recently finished watching the original series + the movie, and yeah, I agree they're quite dated in some ways.

I enjoyed the main plot and the primary characters, but some of the subplots and supporting characters were just god-awful. For example, Andy, Lucy, and Dick Tremayne were all horribly annoying and completely pointless. I also couldn't stand Nadine and cringed every time she was on-screen. David Lynch as Gordan Cole was also pretty annoying. Not sure what he was thinking there.

I'll be starting the new season sometime within the next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how it's changed and whether or not all the hype is warranted. :)

I really like Lynch as Gordon. Nadine is terrible.. i was watching the fan cut (which is really excellent) and i just now realized she's not even in it haha.

Wait… Season 3 sucks? I mean I didn't watch it yet, but how's that even possible? Did they lose fresh ideas or crazy camera angles and nonCGI effects describing one's mind are removed?

Season 3 was imo the best season of Fargo, the first 5 episodes are 10/10's imo, then unfortunately it gets a bit worse (6/10 or so). Far better than season 2 and perhaps slightly better than S1, though i will admit i have a hard time with Martin Freeman and his 3 expressions; surprised, more surprised and very surprised (okok, he have that expression where he's "cute" and upset/angry too, but that's about it).

If you didn't like Lynch portraying Cole on screen, then season three of Twin Peaks may not be for you. I'm also wondering now if that was a younger version of Cole in the most recent episode, but only time will tell on that.

Lynch isn't for everyone, and I'm ok with that. I've been ok with that since the seventies. This most recent series strikes me more as art, with a little television thrown in for effect.

Season 3 was imo the best season of Fargo, the first 5 episodes are 10/10's imo, then unfortunately it gets a bit worse (6/10 or so). Far better than season 2 and perhaps slightly better than S1, though i will admit i have a hard time with Martin Freeman and his 3 expressions; surprised, more surprised and very surprised (okok, he have that expression where he's "cute" and upset/angry too, but that's about it).
That's true about Martin Freeman. He plays different in "Startup", ultra tough cop guy... but you just don't believe him there ;-) Still, had no problems with him, because he was the right actor for a role like that one.
S3 is not bad, but for me just behind S1 and S2, I guess it is a matter of taste.

I'll be starting the new season sometime within the next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how it's changed and whether or not all the hype is warranted. :)
Considering you've just finished the original run, if worse comes to worse, at least you might derive some fun from seeing all those actors age 25 years overnight :).

Last edited:
Already disappointed and the show didn't even start:

Rheon is casted as Maximus. Seriously? He needs to be the lead, not the supervillain (again)!
I'll watch the show as that guy just cannot fail in anything I've seen him in, but cmon. Am I the only person on this planet who sees only the talent and doesn't care his looks is not plastic?

I'd agree on the casting for Inhumans, I've found three people that really don't seem to be suited to their respective roles, and that is only from viewing the trailer. I'll still give it a watch, but my expectations are quite low for this one. This really is concerning from the get-go, because the inhuman history is so ripe it would take considerable effort to put suck into it.

Watched the first 3 episodes of the new Twin Peaks last night. I really like it so far, although I'm a little confused after that 3rd episode. :)

Third episode threw me the first time I watched, on second viewing I picked up that the voltage on the transfer switched, so he's decidedly messed up when he arrives on the other end. Poor Douglas.

Back
Top Bottom