What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I watched Wild at Heart yesterday with two others that had never seen it, great times. It isn't at the top of my favourite Lynch productions, but it is head and shoulders above the average Hollywood sucky release.

Coherence 7/10 one of those movies with wtf plots, pretty interesting but the bad acting took its toll
Anihilation 5/10 interesting plot here too but seriously, super smart scientists and shit and they enter that area without masks, yeah :thumbsup:

Tomb Raider. Obviously not a deep movie but I loved Alicia Vicklander playing the non-sexualized Croft. It allowed me to enjoy the adventure and try to take it all a bit more seriously than previous attempts. She did real well. Movie was better than reviews and I hope we get more.

Tomb Raider. Obviously not a deep movie but I loved Alicia Vicklander playing the non-sexualized Croft. It allowed me to enjoy the adventure and try to take it all a bit more seriously than previous attempts. She did real well. Movie was better than reviews and I hope we get more.

Just saw it too and felt the same way. Hoping for a sequel. I didn't think it was overly CG at all. It seemed just the right balance.

I watched Wild at Heart yesterday with two others that had never seen it, great times. It isn't at the top of my favourite Lynch productions, but it is head and shoulders above the average Hollywood sucky release.

I loved that one and in particular Willem Dafoe. Always wanted to read the book but IIRC it's out of print.

Just watched Annihilation. Unfortunately, I have to say I'm part of the not impressed crowd with that one.

The effects in some scenes were great, but those parts were too few and far between given the length of the film. I do think they did a great job with the world they created inside the Shimmer and especially the landscape.

The cast and acting were just ok though, and I was especially disappointed with the ending which was just weird and anticlimactic to me.

I enjoyed the film You Were Never Really Here, about a hitman with PTSD. More a slow boiling thriller than action movie, I enjoyed Joaquin Phoenix's ability to convey the depth and strangeness of the character.

A hitman that has PTSD? erm… sorry but from PTSD cases I've seen around me it's such contradiction where a hitman cannot ever get PTSD nor PTSD "victim" can ever become a hitman.

I'll skippit as I need some different kind of fantasy, noticed up there JDR wasn't impressed with some fantasy movie I saw available on Netflix so I'll have to check if his impression is similar to mine (usually when it comes to movies it isn't).

PTSD varies in severity, but in this film the harsh case is sort of the point. It looks at the sad strangeness of a barely functioning human being, and how he got into this mess. By all means skip it, but it might be a better sort of film than you imagine.

Sad, strange and problem with place in society - yes, that's PTSD. I really know quite a few cases and two acquaintances of mine with PTSD commited a suicide. No, there was no way to know they'll do it nor I can think of any possible means that'd stop them. All people with PTSD are broken, but you're also right, some are broken more than others. Can't give you many details as I never became friends with any of them due to different style and places we visit (I'm mostly on margins socializing with outcasts and misfits who made the choice to be that themselves). It's not that I didn't want to become friends, it's just it didn't happen. Couldn't. I did talk to them, to one of them pretty often as I met him while going to work or returning home, but the emotion needed to make friends with someone simply wasn't there.

The problem I see with the description of the movie? None of these people got PTSD by being hitman and honestly, knowing what caused the very same PTSD I cannot believe a hitman with PTSD could ever exist. Either you get PTSD after the first hit job or you won't get PTSD ever but will become a hitman.

Sure, people are different. Maybe in some extreme cases what this movie is about is possible. Maybe I just didn't see enough of PTSD varieties. But see, I don't think a butcher who'd feel sorry for your pet exists either.

Went to see Ready Player One last night and absolutely loved it. It's a great movie for game players. Not only was it quite funny in many places, but for a movie about a search for an Easter Egg, it contained a ton of them. I strongly recommend it to everyone here.

I saw it. I don't want to say too much as it might spoil the film. I will say three things:
It took a different direction than I expected from the previews.
It was very enjoyable.
Emily Blunt was golden.

I'm looking forward to seeing A Quiet Place. Maybe this weekend. Anyone seen it yet?

I'm looking forward to seeing A Quiet Place. Maybe this weekend. Anyone seen it yet?

I'm waiting till it moves to the quiet little indie cinema. If I have to listen to the multiplex audience making noise during that film, I might be the sound-sensitive monster that comes for them...

Y'know, that comment just explained me blossom of fart and toilet comedy in recent years, you never know if sounds come from the movie or the audience.

Y'know, that comment just explained me blossom of fart and toilet comedy in recent years, you never know if sounds come from the movie or the audience.

Reminds me of the time in the middle of a horror movie, during a quiet suspenseful scene, I all of a sudden sniffed loudly (allergies) and was met with screams and flying popcorn. Who knew my nose would be so scary.

Watched Annihilation, and loved it. Best scifi I've seen for ages, and one for my collection.

Such an awesome and intelligent science fiction film. I still remain in an entranced state after wathing this an hour ago. I cannot belive that they didn't put this on theathers, on the big screen where it belongs! That is a crime against cinema.

Such an awesome and intelligent science fiction film. I still remain in an entranced state after wathing this an hour ago. I cannot belive that they didn't put this on theathers, on the big screen where it belongs! That is a crime against cinema.

They did put it in theaters in the US for a short run, not in my local place and we didn’t make the ~hour drive to where it was playing in the ‘art’ cinema before it was gone.

Back
Top Bottom