Battle Brothers - 'Blazing Deserts' DLC Announcement

My main problem with your argument isn't inclusivity (I actually like having female avatars), but the classic line "It wouldn't be that much work!" which always rubs me the wrong way. Nothing in game design "isn't that much work." And anything added as DLC way after the fact has to have some kind of financial payoff. The merc avatars have many many variations. One female merc would likely be as much work as one type of one monster. But the return, looong after the 1.0 release (or even at the 1.0 release) IMO would be minimal.

I just noticed now the lack of women in this game. The demand for it baffles me and it's such bullshit as I see it.

Were there even women in mercenary outfits during medieval times? It's so idiotic and to me it seems like, for the sake on inclusion, immersion and realism should be damned.
Ah, the historical approach.
It's because of this kind of demand that we have black people as elves and a latina as Triss in the witcher series, a polish folklore work. Nothing against it, but everything has its place.
A germanic cast is not out of place in a historical Poland thing approach. As long as it is white, it goes.
The result of two hundred more of institutionalized double standards: the inversion.
It would be as much strange if we had caucasian people in the middle of wakanda or men in an amazon outfit.
It is taken that this movie has no white cast. As to having men dressed as women, nothing prevents. A skirt here, a skirt there and it is good.

My main problem with your argument isn't inclusivity (I actually like having female avatars), but the classic line "It wouldn't be that much work!" which always rubs me the wrong way. Nothing in game design "isn't that much work." And anything added as DLC way after the fact has to have some kind of financial payoff. The merc avatars have many many variations. One female merc would likely be as much work as one type of one monster. But the return, looong after the 1.0 release (or even at the 1.0 release) IMO would be minimal.

A female model is expected to be as much work as a male counterpart. It is not like no new male models were not added since release.

Lack of arguments as the trademark.

Except that these are fantasy settings. So that argument doesn't fly for me.

If you make a game like Kingdom Deliverance which has no magic and meant to be based on history then I would agree. When you have elves and witches and sea serpents that argument loses a lot of credibility…

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I see what you mean but I disagree. I think a modicum of realism, even in fantastic stories, goes a long way towards strengthening immersion.

If you tell a fantastic story about folklore here in my country (Brazil), it makes complete sense to mix all ethnicities. Black people, native indians, caucasians, latinos, asians and the mix between them would be just natural and organic. The same procedure would not be true when talking about nordic countries, as fantastic as the story might be.

Thus, in my opinion, inclusion for the sake of it has been damaging the quality of movies and games, as much richer and more interesting settings could be built otherwise.

The only thing that comes to my mind regarding this is Bananas Foster

img_30801.jpg

I see what you mean but I disagree. I think a modicum of realism, even in fantastic stories, goes a long way towards strengthening immersion.

If you tell a fantastic story about folklore here in my country (Brazil), it makes complete sense to mix all ethnicities. Black people, native indians, caucasians, latinos, asians and the mix between them would be just natural and organic. The same procedure would not be true when talking about nordic countries, as fantastic as the story might be.

Thus, in my opinion, inclusion for the sake of it has been damaging the quality of movies and games, as much richer and more interesting settings could be built otherwise.
We will have to agree to disagree.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It looks like a very inclusive way of doing. If anything, there should be only indians considering the historical Poland approach.

And more importantly, there wont be such product. Pointless to speculate against things that are so unlikely to happen. Sidetracking.

Battle Brothers is like meditation for me. I've never played a game where it puts me in a trance and the hours just melt away. I should monitor my heart rate and blood pressure while I play. Except when my favorite Brother dies! ;)

Just because you don't understand what fantasy means it doesn't mean everyone else should be brought down to your level.

As for facts, yes, latinos, numidians, orientals and all etc would have been around in all ages in all regions depending on the specific year in question as it may surprise you to learn that international trade has existed for thousands of years and as such any port town in history would have been a diverse location.

And most RPGs use port towns as the focal point, in case you haven't noticed, and if not port towns, then whatever central trading hub. Just because not many of these people made it into portraits of kings and queens it doesn't mean they didn't exist.

In fact, the strongest powers in Europe at one point in the medieval era were in fact an African nation in Spain, a Mongol nation in Eastern Europe and an Oriental nation in the Balkans.

You think not one of them made it to every corner of Europe?

Lol, enjoy your revisionist illiterate racism.

I just noticed now the lack of women in this game. The demand for it baffles me and it's such bullshit as I see it.

Were there even women in mercenary outfits during medieval times? It's so idiotic and to me it seems like, for the sake on inclusion, immersion and realism should be damned.

It's because of this kind of demand that we have black people as elves and a latina as Triss in the witcher series, a polish folklore work. Nothing against it, but everything has its place. It would be as much strange if we had caucasian people in the middle of wakanda or men in an amazon outfit.

This is a ridiculous argument. You cant say that women shouldn't be included because its not realistic when their are literally mythical creatures in the game. Female warriors are synonymous and very common in a fantasy setting...which is exactly what this game is.

I think its beyond time female mercs were added.

Back
Top Bottom