Path of Exile: Echoes of the Atlas - Launches on January 15

PoE is my main game since summer 2016., but I'm still really hyped for this expansion! It's gonna be great for us SSF players, with harvest coming back, and ritual league looking very SSF friendly.

I'm just finishing a BG2 game (gnome fighter/illusionist) after more than 10 years, and I'll be ready for another 2 months of not having enough time for anything else. :D

... after 10+ years I didn't play BG2. A timeless classic, still fresh and so much fun. :)

… after 10+ years I didn't play BG2. A timeless classic, still fresh and so much fun. :)

I've been messing around with BG EE in my spare time recently, and it's still as great as ever. I'm trying to decide on a class for when I replay the trilogy prior to the release of BG3.

I'm leaning towards a fighter which I might dual-class into a fighter/cleric in BG2, but I'm also considering a Kensai or a Monk.

I bought original BG1/2 on GOG long time ago but never got to actually playing them until this december. I mean, I played both games when they were originally released, and enjoyed them thoroughly, but this time around I enjoyed them even more. Which is not surprising considering how many modern dumbed-down rpgs with consolized UIs I played, or tried to play over the last 20 years.

I did some research before I started and I had 3 candidates to play: a dwarf fighter/thief (I always loved backstabbing in BG, 20 constitution with BG1 tomes gives you some hp regen, "shorty saves" are great), a half-elf cleric/ranger (being able to cast all cleric AND druid spells, including Iron Skins and Insect Plague is crazy good, would have dual-wielded Flail of Ages +4/5 and Crom Faeyr by the endgame), and a gnome fighter/illusionist, which I finally settled upon. I tend to play "tanks" with main characters in almost all rpgs, and F/M is unmatched tank in Baldur's Gate. Being able to cast all kinds of protection spells on himself while wielding most powerful weapons in the game, what's not to like? A gnome with 19 constitution has +5 "shorty" bonus on spell saves, and being the only multi-class speciallist mage +1 slot on all spell levels. Another plus is that a gnome can have a romance with Aerie and a dwarf cannot. Funny stuff. :D

This time around I wanted to have range weapons on all my characters so I didn't use dual-wielding with any of the party members, even though it's really powerful with Belm/Kundane off-hand. But ** in single weapon style is also great for tanks, providing -2 AC and 19-20 crit range. So, my protagonist used Celestial Fury early on and Crom Faeyr when I finally got it, and short bows (Tuigan/Gesen) as a range option. Then there was Keldorn with Carsomyr and Firetooth +5 crossbow, Minsc with Flail of Ages, Mace of Disruption +2 and the best longbow I had at the time, Imoen and Nalia with shortbows and best defensive weapons I got to swap to if anyone gets in melee range, and finally Aerie, using Sling of Everard +5, Defender of Easthaven +3, and the best shield available.

I hope I gave you some ideas for your own run. Ok now I can go back to theorycrafting builds for the new league in PoB. :D

Sounds like you did some serious planning there. :)

I find that I usually enjoy crpgs more when I don't go all out with the min-maxing like that. I'll plan ahead with the weapon proficiencies for my main character, and when (if) I'm going to dual-class, but that's about all.

I almost always go with a human male for my PC. I can do half-elf too, but I can't bring myself to play as a dwarf, halfling, or gnome. From a role-playing standpoint, it just doesn't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom