RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2018

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Update: It is no longer possible to vote for the Game of the Year Awards of 2018.

Here is your chance to vote in our yearly Game of the Year Awards for the best RPG in 2018 and most anticipated game in 2019. You can vote for the best, runner up and third best (or most anticipated) game. In total our GOTY consists of making 6 choices. If you feel you do not have anything to select you can either select no game or enter a game (only for most anticipated), which is not on the list by selecting other. If you select the same game multiple times, your entire vote will be invalidated.

The lists are based on games that in one way or the other got covered at RPGWatch. The resulting list for the Game of the Year 2018 is derived from a much longer list, which has been reduced in length in cooperation with our forum members. You might feel that some games should not be on these lists for some reason. If you feel heart-broken over our decisions, don't vote for those games or don't vote at all and discuss it on our forums if you like. More information on how we got to this shorter list can be found here.

Note that voting is restricted to registered users only and those with at least 10 posts.

More information.

Well, I've played only three on that list, and one of those (BT4) would have been "most disappointing" if that were an award.
I voted Kenshi, but if Avernum 3 had been on the list (why the omission?) I would have voted that. Seriously, I'm not in touch with RPG-land these days.

I generally don't play many games either - only played Kingmaker (voted GOTY, in fact, one of GOAT for me).

Looking forward to Realms Beyond, Druidstone and Black Geyser.

Played hardly anything from that list. For me it was also a pretty week RPG year.
Voted 1st for Kingdom Come which was a good but not great game
Voted 2nd for Dark Quest 2 which was decent and delivered what it promised
and the third I just left empty. I think the only other ones of them I played was Aeon of Sands and Bards Tale 4, I didn't like them enough to vote for them.

Regarding the most anticipated, I actually entered Pathway as custom entry. Thats the follow up to Halfway which was an awesome little indie tactics RPG.
Sencond I voted for Cyberpunk and third for Wasteland 3
I also backed Spiderwebs new game but I really don't like the graphical style.

Last edited:
My top three picks for 2018

1st Place = Kingdom Come Deliverance
2nd Place = Pillars of Eternity 2
3rd Place = Pathfinder:Kingmaker

My top three picks for Most Anticipated for 2019

1st Place = Outer Worlds
2nd Place = Wasteland 3
3rd Place = Greedfall

I'd pick Cyberpunk 2077 as #1 but don't know if it will release in 2019.

I haven't played any of the 2018 games so had to vote "none". If I was voting for most excited to eventually play, then Pathfinder Kingmaker and then Pillars of Eternity 2.

For most anticipated, I put Realms Beyond as my #1. There is just something very compelling about this game to me, many aspects such as - graphics, the systems/mechanics they have shown, the music, it all hits the bullseye for me.

A close second is Wasteland 3. I loved the previous game and am excited to see what they have done with the sequel.

Wow some crap really made it to that list.
Btw Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption was already released last year.

Kenshi
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Final Fantasy XV

The Outer Worlds
Scroll of Taiwu (English Translation)
Stellar Tactics

GotY:
  1. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  2. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  3. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
Most anticipated:
  1. Cyberpunk
  2. The Outer Worlds
  3. Greedfall
  4. (Black Geyser)

My votes are in:

Game of the year
  1. Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  3. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Most promising
  1. Cyberpunk
  2. Greedfall
  3. Two Worlds III
The GOTY was fairly easy, but I really struggled with the most promising, as I'm not sure Cyberpunk will be released in 2019 and I know very little about the others. Greedfall does look interesting though, and Two Worlds 1 and 2 were surprisingly good.

Here are mine.

Game of the year
  3. Hero U: Rogue to Redemption
Most promising
  1. Outer Worlds
  2. Cyberpunk
  3. Mage's Initiation

So it seems like GOTY will be P:K, KCD or POE2?

GotY

1. Phoenix Point
2. Realms Beyond
3. Outer Worlds

GotY
1. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
2. Hero-U
3. Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Most Promising
1. Phoenix Point
2. Outer Worlds
3. Monomyth
---
4. Druidstone

FYI: Most anticipated game doesn't actually has to be released...

Anyway of the games I played none of them were spectacular enough to be 'game of the year' - and quite frankly I think it was a pretty weak year in terms of great games. Having said that there are several games I haven't played yet so maybe one of them was absolutely fantastic.
-
For next year - there are quite a few games I'm looking forward and sadly I could only pick 3. I think there are 8 or 9 games that might (or might not) turn out to be absolutely fantastic - i won't bug you with my list of three other than to mention #1 is cyberpunk.

There are so many indie games to be released at 2019 that I look forward to, it was so difficult to choose three of them.

In spite of all the disappointment it created in the RPG community, Bard's Tale 4 is my top pick for 2018. There couldn't be too much party and turn based blobbers in the market. We need more games like BT4, MMX, Wizardry 8 IMHO.

Although not a new game but releasing a playable version of Wizards&Warriors at GOG was a big surprise for me. Can we not count it as a new release? :D

I wrote in "Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord" as 3rd place most expected :p
Mechwarrior 5 would have been 4th place. Then Phoenix Point.

Otherwise, it was Kingmaker, Bards Tale, Ghost of A Tale, Cyberpunk, Outer Worlds.

I voted, but I noticed that I hardly played any games that came out last year. And of the games that I played and voted for, I still need to finish two. I did play a lot of games from the backlog this year, which is a good thing in itself.

Voting for the games I am looking forward to was easier :)

Back
Top Bottom