Encased - Content Patch 4

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The post-apocalytic RPG Encased got some more content:

BIG ENCASED PATCH: NEW ENEMY AI, NEW INTERFACE AND NEW COMPANIONS

We really wanted to release Encased this year, but we postponed it due to the introduction of new content and full voice acting. The game has increased in size, and we need time to tweak and polish it. We're releasing this patch to delight you before the final push, and also because we appreciate your participation, feedback, and help.

The development wasn't easy. Three years of work, a large project, and a coronavirus pandemic awaited us. We switched to remote work back in the spring, some of our employees got sick, and some of them even ended up in hospital. Still, we made it: most of the work on the main storyline is complete, the game brought together an active and friendly community and the team welcomed new great people. We also signed a contract with Koch Media! They will help us finish Encased and make it a really good game.

This partnership will allow us to remain who we are and do what the studio was created to do -- develop exciting games focused on the wishes of players, not on analytics, monetization and PR. All the work related to quality control, publishing and promotion of the game will be done by our new partners from Koch Media, we believe in their experience and professionalism, and we know that they will do a great job.

In the meantime, here's the last pre-release patch. After that, we're coming to the finish line to release the game you've all been waiting for!

List of changes by category

[...]
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

It's a big update (9.4 GB), probably the last one before their final release.
Many improvements, additions and fixes, but the AI got my attention:
AI

Enemy behavior in combat became much more advanced. Enemies now actively use items, abilities, and act within their specialization. The changes affected not only the "combat" AI: we introduced the first version of the crime system. Now NPCs react to the player's unlawful actions: you can no longer break into doors in front of guards and must use stealth. It is better to leave the scene of the crime as soon as possible: the injured character or just a random witness will immediately start patrolling the area and conduct their own investigation. If you are caught, civilians can call guards, who, however, can be intimidated or bribed.

• Combat AI was redesigned and optimized: enemies actively use abilities, heal themselves and their allies, use consumables (tasers, alcohol, sleep grenades, stimulants),
  • The behavior of the enemies became more diverse and interesting, and all of them have specializations now,
  • Fixed errors with experience and fatigue gaining during non-lethal walkthroughs,
  • NPCs now react to crimes committed by the player. They can investigate what happened, change the faction's attitude toward the player, call guards, etc.,
  • Added a jail system in the settlements: the player's character can be imprisoned, can escape, etc.
Of course, it needs to update first, before trying all that :p

EDIT - Saved games seem incompatible!

Last edited:
Nice. Hopefully, this will be ready just in time for when I finish Wasteland 3. After Fallout 4, Atom RPG, Wasteland 3, and this, I'm really having a post-apoc year. So fitting with the year we are having.

they should release the full game and put voice acting in a dlc, no need to wait a year for some voices

Yes, honestly it's very good as it is, without voice. But perhaps because we're used to that.

If they have an opportunity to add it, it's a sensible decision, most games have it now, and I'm not sure the general gaming audience is willing to digest a lot of text without spoken dialogs. Especially on console. It's pure speculation, but it may well be a condition of the new partnership, which allows them to save time in other areas.

Besides, they aren't finished and would have needed extra time anyway, even without spoken dialogs.

It's a big update (9.4 GB), probably the last one before their final release.
Hmm didn't they announce a new publisher and that the game will now need more time to implement voices, and other improvements? So I doubt it's near a final release.

They say it's the last pre-release patch, but we all know everything may always change ;)
Nah it's Early Access it turns every developer into a Politician.:lol:

Double speak and over promise it always works.:biggrin:

Nah it's Early Access it turns every developer into a Politician.:lol:

Double speak and over promise it always works.:biggrin:
Yeah, you can already tell, wasn't the 3rd patch supposed to be the last? And then there's the unmistakable clues like "We are very close to the end of development", "Just a little more and the full version of the game will appear on Steam, GOG and consoles", and most of all, "Final release date will be announced a bit later" :thinking:

Just kidding though, I could be wrong but I've got a good feeling about this one :)

I'm considering buying either this game or "Disco Elysium" in the christmas-sale. This one is attractively cheap but I'm not sure if it's close enough to release to be ready for a full playthrough.

Was first considering "Cyberpunk 2077" but after further consideration, I think i I'll wait for patches as well as for the first dlc to arrive before I buy. ;)

They're releasing a hotfix for a few issues related to this big update :)
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/921800/view/2921112882535064875

Patch 4 - Hotfix 1 (v0.20.1226.1230)
  • Fixed cases of freezing combat when an avatar is knocked down.
  • Improved localization and fixed description of some perks and abilities tooltips.
  • Improved localization and description of journal logs.
  • Fixed the appliance of status effects from abilities Rallying Motto, Clear Commands.
  • Fixed XP given from turrets in Nashville.
  • Fixed Quentin Pollock routine.
  • Fixed armor check of Bodybuilder perk and Neanderthal trait.
  • Fixed pathfinding issues at Fallen capsule location.
  • Fixed Buttstroke ability of grenade launchers.

I'm considering buying either this game or "Disco Elysium" in the christmas-sale. This one is attractively cheap but I'm not sure if it's close enough to release to be ready for a full playthrough.

Was first considering "Cyberpunk 2077" but after further consideration, I think i I'll wait for patches as well as for the first dlc to arrive before I buy. ;)
They're completely different but I think there's no bad choice here.
I haven't played Disco Elysium very long, it's really a weird game but it seems interesting enough. There's a big update in March with spoken dialogs (Final Cut edition, free update for all owners).

Encased doesn't have the whole content yet, only prologue and act I, there will be act II & III and an epilogue too. We should expect to restart from scratch when the final release hits our doors, so that could be a factor. For now, there's enough for 10-20 hours at least, depending on how you play, I'm more on the 20+ side there, and they say 40+ with the full game. It's quite enjoyable to replay it with different builds, too.

Checked this out finally. Very nice! I'll write them to add an option to increase font size, since they already increasing UI size. Super smooth UI, I like it. Inventory icons are amazingly big. All it needs is a bigger popup font size, so I'll get an inclination to actually read any ingame text after that. :)

They're releasing a hotfix for a few issues related to this big update :)

They're completely different but I think there's no bad choice here.
I haven't played Disco Elysium very long, it's really a weird game but it seems interesting enough. There's a big update in March with spoken dialogs (Final Cut edition, free update for all owners).

Encased doesn't have the whole content yet, only prologue and act I, there will be act II & III and an epilogue too. We should expect to restart from scratch when the final release hits our doors, so that could be a factor. For now, there's enough for 10-20 hours at least, depending on how you play, I'm more on the 20+ side there, and they say 40+ with the full game. It's quite enjoyable to replay it with different builds, too.

Thanks!
I'm leaning towards "Elysium" mostly due to wanting to play the game through from beginning to end, once I start playing. Though I think I'll be picking up "Encased" as well, just to have it ready once act "II&III&Epilogue" become available.;)

Thanks!
I'm leaning towards "Elysium" mostly due to wanting to play the game through from beginning to end, once I start playing. Though I think I'll be picking up "Encased" as well, just to have it ready once act "II&III&Epilogue" become available.;)
Sounds like a good decision. It's finished, and you can easily replay it when they release spoken dialogs later, it's not too long and I suppose it's interesting enough to replay it with different paths.

I'm curious about Disco Elysium too, but I really need to finish at least another game first. Let us know what you think when you're far enough :)

Checked this out finally. Very nice! I'll write them to add an option to increase font size, since they already increasing UI size. Super smooth UI, I like it. Inventory icons are amazingly big. All it needs is a bigger popup font size, so I'll get an inclination to actually read any ingame text after that. :)
I'm not a big fan of the font either ;) But that's OK for now, hopefully they'll add those options. You can suggest that from within the game, or in the Steam forums, those guys are very responsive over there.

Another hotfix today, a little 22 MB download only. They are relentless :)
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/921800/view/2921112882560033439

Patch 4 - Hotfix 2 (0.20.1230.1316)
  • Improved multithrending in AI calculations to address AI freezes in many combats;
  • Improved overall AI behavior and descision making;
  • Fixed status effects modifiers that do not go away;
  • Fixed texts for some perks and abilities;
  • Fixed puzzle in the Gretel bunker;
  • Added shiv into trade treasure of Ivan Kuzmenko at Concord station;
  • Fixed range of Frosty Flash ability;
  • Fixed combat AI behavior of Victor Rozalevsky;
  • Fixed combat AI behavior in combat with Black wings behind the bar;
  • Fixed missing appearance models which were available in character creation;
  • Fixed wrong Reconnaissance bonus for premade character;
  • Fixed Medical Superstar ability;
  • Fixed combat settings of Church medical trader guard;
  • Fixed vignette dialogue in ventillation shaft in Magellan Garrison location;
  • Fixed duplicated door in Nashville viewing point location;
  • Fixed damage settings of Salamander Mk II;
  • Fixed missing textures of Criminal abilities prepare FX;
  • Fixed sound of swap places ability;

So is it content complete and just missing the dialogue audio?

Edit: Nope its not content complete.:(
No, not in this release. There are definetely new bits, new companions and new encounters but not entire Encased plot. That one comes in release verison in 2021.
@Redglyph you lied.:p
Sounds like a good decision. It's finished, and you can easily replay it when they release spoken dialogs later, it's not too long and I suppose it's interesting enough to replay it with different paths.

Well then the developer lied like I predicted.:p

Back
Top Bottom