New Nintendo system: "Nintendo Switch"

One thing to note, this is the first time Bethesda has been on a Nintendo system since Wheres Waldo if that counts. I dont get how they all of a sudden decide to support a console that they have no idea will succeed when they never supported that console manufacturer before. I would like to know the royalty fees they are using for this machine.

I showed y'all months ago but no one wanted to listen. Gaming tablets are the bees knees. :)

I've owned all the handhelds over the years and now phones and tablets and I've learned I just don't like mobile gaming.

At first I thought it must be the games so when BG, xcom, taletell games etc. came out I thought, great now I'll enjoy gaming on the go. I bought them all and played a couple hours or so and I just couldn't enjoy them. I like to have time carved out to game. Gaming a bit at lunch or on a short break just isn't enjoyable for me I'd rather just surf the web when I'm out and about and sit down and enjoy my games at home.

I am not sure about that. They still have that 10 billion or so in the bank, depends on how badly this bombs if it does.

I don't think that really matters. Nintendo has been finishing in 3rd place behind Sony and Microsoft for three generations now, and they haven't been on top since the SNES days. The Wii U in particular did poorly outside of Japan. I could definitely see the Switch being their swan song as a console maker if it doesn't meet expectations.

Personally, I hope it does well. I've always liked Nintendo, although I've been disappointed by them in recent years. I'd prefer if it was Sony and Nintendo at the top instead of Sony and Microsoft.

I've owned all the handhelds over the years and now phones and tablets and I've learned I just don't like mobile gaming.

At first I thought it must be the games so when BG, xcom, taletell games etc. came out I thought, great now I'll enjoy gaming on the go. I bought them all and played a couple hours or so and I just couldn't enjoy them. I like to have time carved out to game. Gaming a bit at lunch or on a short break just isn't enjoyable for me I'd rather just surf the web when I'm out and about and sit down and enjoy my games at home.

Tablet gaming does not mean you have to play on the go or in limited time. I play games on my tablet all the time and have played for hours at a time laying in bed or hanging out downstairs, etc. I couldn't imagine trying to play some engrossing RPG on the go or something. That's not my thing but you can use the tablets in other ways and have a ball with them.

I don't think that really matters. Nintendo has been finishing in 3rd place behind Sony and Microsoft for three generations now, and they haven't been on top since the SNES days. The Wii U in particular did poorly outside of Japan. I could definitely see the Switch being their swan song as a console maker if it doesn't meet expectations.

Personally, I hope it does well. I've always liked Nintendo, although I've been disappointed by them in recent years. I'd prefer if it was Sony and Nintendo at the top instead of Sony and Microsoft.

Er have you forgotten the Wii?

Wii sold ~100 million
PS3 sold ~80 million
Xbox 360 sold 78.2 million

Not that it was a good console but still.

Wii was a great console after I warmed up to it. It was innovative with motion controls but it also had some really fun games that were exciting to play with said motion controls. The Nintendo Virtual Store was great for picking up cheap and classic Nintendo games and it was family-friendly so you could play with various age groups.

I enjoyed the Wii for what it was. The Switch looks even more up my alley, though.

Er have you forgotten the Wii?

Wii sold ~100 million
PS3 sold ~80 million
Xbox 360 sold 78.2 million

Not that it was a good console but still.

Let me guess, you got those numbers off Wikipedia? Those represent the number of units sold up until 2016 for the Wii but only up to 2014 for the Xbox 360 and only up to 2013 for the PS3.

Regardless, that was 2 generations ago and doesn't change Nintendo's current situation which has them far behind Sony and Microsoft in the console war.

And yeah, the Wii was horrible. I'm guessing the vast majority of its demographic was kids 16 and under.

And yeah, the Wii was horrible. I'm guessing the vast majority of its demographic was kids 16 and under.

And also grandparents, parents, people who didn't normally play video games, millennials who grew up with Nintendo consoles, etc. etc.

I'd say 100 million + sales is not too shabby. Nintendo is smart to do what they're doing with the Switch and shows that once again they are trying to be innovative and be ahead of the curve.

And also grandparents, parents, people who didn't normally play video games, millennials who grew up with Nintendo consoles, etc. etc.

I'd say 100 million + sales is not too shabby. Nintendo is smart to do what they're doing with the Switch and shows that once again they are trying to be innovative and be ahead of the curve.

Cool, but that approach didn't work so well with the Wii U now did it? It's mind-boggling that a console as shitty as the Wii sold as well as it did, but sometimes gimmicks work. I think they'll need more than gimmicks with the Switch though. They'll need a strong library of games to support it, and they need to appeal more to the mainstream again.

I wouldn't call the Wii a gimmick. No one else was doing that at the time and Nintendo had the idea to do something completely different. It worked in that case and a lot of the games were really fun and made great use of the controls. Microsoft and Sony quickly tried to copy the idea and neither of them took off like the Wii did at the time.

The Switch is already in a class of its own by being a full console/tablet hybrid. The Nvidia Shield pioneered this formula a few years back with their gaming tablet that you can also use as a full console. Nintendo must have recognized that and thought that that was a brilliant idea and based the Switch off of that. Combined with the success of their DS and 3DS handheld consoles they see the Switch as the natural extension of both the handhelds they make along with a typical home console.

My only issue would be not supporting Android for the mobile aspect of the console, but I'm sure Nvidia will fill that void with the Shield 2 (which will probably be even more similar to the Switch, with a detachable controller, etc.). In the meantime you can use this with your tablet -

https://www.amazon.com/IPEGA-Telesc...&sr=1-1&keywords=tablet+controller+ipega&th=1

Tablet gaming does not mean you have to play on the go or in limited time. I play games on my tablet all the time and have played for hours at a time laying in bed or hanging out downstairs, etc. I couldn't imagine trying to play some engrossing RPG on the go or something. That's not my thing but you can use the tablets in other ways and have a ball with them.

I'm aware, I have steamlink and PS4 in my bedroom and living room so no reason to game on my tablet.

I get you really enjoy playing games on your tablet but I just don't. It's an inferior experience in every way for me. I've tried tons of mobile games and full games on tablet and don't enjoy them. I do find it quite well suited to web surfing though.

I wouldn't call the Wii a gimmick. No one else was doing that at the time and Nintendo had the idea to do something completely different. It worked in that case and a lot of the games were really fun and made great use of the controls. Microsoft and Sony quickly tried to copy the idea and neither of them took off like the Wii did at the time.

Playing games with a Wiimote got old really fast. The console had a handful of games that actually worked well with the controls, but hardcore gamers stayed away because most of the titles were unappealing to them and Nintendo forced people to use the Wiimote instead of including alternate control schemes.

I think about the few games I actually liked on that system (LoZ: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3), and I wonder how much more I could have enjoyed them if I hadn't been forced to use a control scheme that I didn't prefer.

Being innovative can only get a console so far. It has to have a solid library to support it. The Wii U was innovative as well, but that wasn't enough.

Let me guess, you got those numbers off Wikipedia? Those represent the number of units sold up until 2016 for the Wii but only up to 2014 for the Xbox 360 and only up to 2013 for the PS3.

Regardless, that was 2 generations ago and doesn't change Nintendo's current situation which has them far behind Sony and Microsoft in the console war.

It was this site:
http://www.geekwire.com/2013/xbox-360-wii-ps3-won-console-generation/

It was for 2013 for all of them.

Playing games with a Wiimote got old really fast. The console had a handful of games that actually worked well with the controls, but hardcore gamers stayed away because most of the titles were unappealing to them and Nintendo forced people to use the Wiimote instead of including alternate control schemes.

I think about the few games I actually liked on that system (LoZ: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3), and I wonder how much more I could have enjoyed them if I hadn't been forced to use a control scheme that I didn't prefer.

Being innovative can only get a console so far. It has to have a solid library to support it. The Wii U was innovative as well, but that wasn't enough.

The Wii U was terrible on all fronts except for the games. The name, the clumsy controller, the terrible touch screen, the horrible marketing the price aswell.

I was wrong about the touch screen. This is from the Nintendo switch dev kit site apparently.

CPU:
Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, maximum 2 GHz
L2 cache, 2 MB
64-bit ARMv8
Crypto extension enabled

GPU:
NVIDIA second-generation Maxwell architecture
256 CUDA cores, maximum 1 GHz
1024 FLOPS/cycle
Texture: 16 pixels/cycle
Fill: 14.4 pixels/cycle

Main memory:
Capacity of 4 GB
Bandwidth: 25.6 GB/s
VRAM: shared

System Memory:
Capacity: 32 GB, Maximum transfer rate: 400 MB/s
USB
USB 2.0 and 3.0
Video Output
60 fps, at a maximum of 1920×1080 pixels
Or 30 fps at 3840×2160 pixels
The screen:
6.2" IPS LCD, 1280×720 pixels
Capacitance method, 10-point multi-touch

Last edited:

The numbers don't add up. They're claiming the Wii sold 100 million by 2013 yet it's only at 101 million in 2016? I highly doubt that's accurate.

The Wii U was terrible on all fronts except for the games. The name, the clumsy controller, the terrible touch screen, the horrible marketing the price aswell.

I agree the controller is clumsy, but I still preferred it to the Wiimote by far.

The wii sales fell off a cliff once it hit saturation point with whoever was interested.

Touch screen, nice. 6.2" only? Yikes. I would have preferred at least an 8", 1080p display like the Shield has. Disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom