Stygian - Review @ IndianNoob

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IndianNoob checked out Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones:

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones Review :: Brilliant Lovecraft Adaptation, Good RPG

As a fan of Lovecraftian fiction, I took great pleasure in reviewing two of the latest adaptations recently, Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu and Frogware's Sinking City. CRPGs are basically my bread and butter over at The Indian Noob and I try not to miss out on any new releases. Thus, I've been waiting for Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones for quite some time; Cultic Games' new RPG that supposedly combines otherworldly cosmic horror with deep RPG mechanics. You don't get to play supernatural RPGs every day and the fact that its Lovecraftian horror makes it even better. With our sci-fi aficionado Sailesh Singh riding shotgun, I ventured into the bizarre world of Stygian to pass the final judgment.

Story & Setting

Stygian is a love letter to the works of Lovecraft and those who followed. To my surprise, it takes more inspirations from Dream Cycle, The Shadow Out of Time and The Haunter of the Dark than Call of Cthulhu or Shadow Over Innsmouth, which is quite refreshing. Nevertheless, everything you expect from pulp and weird fiction is present in its full glory, and then some. A town in the verge of ruination? Check. Its denizens slowly turning insane thanks to cosmic entities and indescribable horrors? Check. Helplessness, hopelessness and a lot of unanswered questions? You bet.

[...]

VERDICT

Stygian: Regin of the Old Ones is hands down one of the best Lovecraftian video game adaptations out there. It's also a good RPG that's just short of excellence due to the average combat, relatively short length and somewhat limited exploration. A dark, brooding setting, narrative-driven gameplay, satisfying role-playing options and plenty of choices await those who buy Stygian. If the current price seems a bit too steep, don't forget to add it to your must-play list and pick it up down the line.

Score: 8/10
More information.

They really have nailed the lore and atmosphere, I think…I quite like the weird art style too. I am finding money (cigs) a little too scarce though and now that my character is paranoid combat has become more random.
It also seems to be quite hard to level up your 'power' i.e. I don't feel much of a sense of progression as I level. I'm level 5 now, after 7 hours, and don't feel I'm ready to tackle the challenges ahead…

Yes i found the rng of the combat to be really annoying

They really have nailed the lore and atmosphere, I think…I quite like the weird art style too. I am finding money (cigs) a little too scarce though and now that my character is paranoid combat has become more random.
It also seems to be quite hard to level up your 'power' i.e. I don't feel much of a sense of progression as I level. I'm level 5 now, after 7 hours, and don't feel I'm ready to tackle the challenges ahead…

I've heard you can only get 15-hours out of this game, is that true?

I have played for 5 hours or so, but I think that even if one playthrougj is only 15 hours I can already see many ways for this game to go in different ways.

I believe you'd need at least two playthroughs to understand the game properly so probably 30 hours.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

A single playthrough, yes. But there are lots of stuff you won't discover in just one playthrough alone. Very replayable

This was answered by the developer a few days before release via a kickstarter update:

I'd like to share some insight on the scope of the game as well. When I first wrote the script of Stygian, I wasn't aware that its scope would actually be much wider in terms of the playtime than what we envisioned for Reign of the Old Ones. The complete saga that I had written would have lasted around 50 hours to complete but we were trying to achieve a 15-20 hours experience with a lot of re-playability. At some point in the production, I was obliged to make a tough decision (like any good RPG): rushing the last chapter, breaking the pace of the game or complete it on a cliffhanger and leave some space for future installments.

Stygian is not a short game and it definitely can not be categorized as episodic, since it is teeming with content; but I have to state that we won't be solving all the mysteries at the end of this game. Going the other way would have spoiled some really good scenes, characters and situations for the sake of having just a closure. For better or for worse, I thought you needed to know that.

So it's an incomplete game that instead now offers replay value.

I've read steam reviews claiming that you can't manually save? Is this correct?
Like I wrote in the review, you can save at any time along with the presence autosaves. But the option of quicksaving takes you back to the menu. Just a really odd and pointless design.

Just played the demo and it really didn't do anything for me. A dull walking affair with dull combat.

Great atmosphere & all that are soon forgotten when what the game prompts the player to do is mundane, repetitive rubbish.

I'm playing an aristocrat and my starting companion is my loyal butler. There are also some other references in my background, so I'm really interested in seeing what the other backgrounds give you. That's the kind of thing that makes me want to replay a game.
The atmosphere is awesome. The combat is okish.

Back
Top Bottom