|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Popup Dungeon - Released

Default Popup Dungeon - Released

August 12th, 2020, 23:13
The papercraft RPG Popup Dungeon has been released:

Popup Dungeon | Launch Trailer

loading…

Popup Dungeon is a papercraft RPG where the only limit is your imagination. Create any weapon, ability, enemy, hero, and game imaginable as you work to complete the Wizard's challenge.

Popup Dungeon is a tactical roguelike RPG inspired by our favorite tabletop games. Make your own abilities, items, heroes, villains, and games easier than ever before. Create and share anything you can imagine.

Key Features

• Out of the Box: 1500+ abilities, 420+ items, 200+ fully-voiced enemies, 36 playable characters
  • Games included: Branching story-driven campaigns, gameplay-focused runs, and the 25 campaigns of The Wizard's Tower
  • Endless Content: Lots of games have procedural content, but Popup's easy-to-use creation systems allow for limitless handcrafted content. Just hit the download button!
  • Game Creation: Tie nodes together to create your own games; from classic RPG adventures to grueling dungeon crawls and dating simulators, you can do it all, no programming knowledge necessary!
  • Persistent Gains: Collect and combine charms to power up your party and climb higher than before.
The enigmatic Wizard, voiced by John de Lancie, has challenged humanity to a duel of creativity. But to defeat him, first you'll have to climb his tower: 25 campaigns of ever-increasing difficulty that will take you from the depths of dungeons to the furthest reaches of space and everything in between.

Additional Information

• Creation Systems: Popup turns game design into a game. Turn your pictures into 3D cutouts to use as enemies and equipment, clip and fade sounds in engine, add your own images to ability cards, everything you create is automatically balanced and the AI is handled for you.
  • Dungeon Master: Try on The Wizard's hat. Create your own adventures and take control of the enemies.
  • Flexible Party Size: The dungeon can be challenged with 1 to 5 characters at a time.
  • Sandbox-like: Create and add Modes to any game you've beaten to randomize enemies, add companions, grant abilities, go hardcore, or customize your experience in any way you'd like!
  • Additional Tile Sets: Go beyond the dungeon! Explore Star Ships, Haunted Houses, Deserts, Japanese Villages and Castles, Steampunk Airships, Post-Apocalyptic landscapes, and more…
  • Accessible Game Play: Very easy to play, deviously hard to master.
  • Interactable Props: From Treasure Chests to Vendi-Machines, discover props and secrets that will help shape the course of your crawl. Custom interactables coming soon!
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

August 13th, 2020, 00:20
RPG, roguelike… etc,etc,etc… the important thing is John De Lancie's voice acting! Q!

Edit: ended up purchasing this; at first glance, the rules system is weird!
Last edited by Drithius; August 13th, 2020 at 04:27.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

August 13th, 2020, 05:35
Looks fun - positive reviews on Steam so far.

Arkayne

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 13th, 2020, 14:49
Originally Posted by Arkayne View Post
Looks fun - positive reviews on Steam so far.
It does, but some (most?) enemies, when viewed from behind, are blank. Seems a little off-putting, but maybe you get used to it.

tekulte

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 13th, 2020, 18:33
Looks incredibly … well, "cute" isn't the right word … It reminds me of board games i had played in my youth …
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

August 13th, 2020, 19:19
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Looks incredibly … well, "cute" isn't the right word … It reminds me of board games i had played in my youth …
Hace you tried Wildermyth, Alrik?

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

August 13th, 2020, 20:09
I'm still waiting for my key for this one or any sort of response after 24 hours. . .

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

August 13th, 2020, 21:31
Ok, got my key. From the various Kickstarter updates, this game really seems like it has a massive toolbox like Neverwinter Nights or Shadowrun. I wll be interested to see if a community forms around it, and if we will be seeing if it gets a lot of modules made for it.

forgottenlor

RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

August 13th, 2020, 21:33
I bought and played for a bit…fun game.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

August 13th, 2020, 23:52
I admit I'm confused. Early in development it looked like they were developing a dungeon crawler. Now it seems they've switched gears to selling a game-making toolkit.

Question for people playing:
Is the game worth playing with existing content, and how about an hours estimate?
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal+DLC | Stygian | Realms Beyond
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG+DLC | Black Geyser | Chernobylite | King's Bounty 2

screeg

floating head
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 14th, 2020, 00:03
This is a cool project by a 2 man team. It had a lot of potential, but I think they are just hoping sales and the community turn it into more, because the lack the ability to do enough with it. A bigger publisher also probably could have supported it.

Pappy

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 14th, 2020, 05:05
I'm mildly interested, but not for $22.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

August 15th, 2020, 21:42
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
I admit I'm confused. Early in development it looked like they were developing a dungeon crawler. Now it seems they've switched gears to selling a game-making toolkit.

Question for people playing:
Is the game worth playing with existing content, and how about an hours estimate?
It's going to be awhile before I get to this, but this from the Steam forums:

Quick overlook:
The game has a built-in story, the Wizards Tower; it consists of 25 levels, which are of varying length. I assume they get longer the higher you get.
It also has to seperate Campaigns. One medieval one and a Sci-Fi one. I heard they are… longish.
There's also a "Endless" mode, aswell as an arena.
The community content that exists up to now seems to be mostly really decent. I only looked at some, but the quality is mostly pretty good.

forgottenlor

RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

August 17th, 2020, 15:22
That's interesting, thanks!
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal+DLC | Stygian | Realms Beyond
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG+DLC | Black Geyser | Chernobylite | King's Bounty 2

screeg

floating head
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 17th, 2020, 18:02
So far I have downloaded some character classes, there are literally hundreds. I'm not sure how to get adventures yet…the game is unique and fun.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Popup Dungeon - Released