Factorio out of early access!! - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Factorio out of early access!!

Default Factorio out of early access!!

August 14th, 2020, 19:50
In case you're one of the crazy people with the "it's in EA" excuse to not have played Factorio yet, go forth and build your world-dominating factory now!

loading…

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
+1:

August 15th, 2020, 18:08
Tried the demo a year ago but quickly ran out of patience once things started getting messy (in my case it doesn't take long for that to happen). Which is a shame since I love the game's concept and have been following their weekly blogs for years but the way things are going with me in a few years I'll be relegated to playing hidden object games.

kazga

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 15th, 2020, 19:11
What exactly do you mean by messy? Biter attacks? Spaghetti belts?

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

August 15th, 2020, 19:47
The latter. Started improvising instead of pausing and planning out the layout of my base. I don't need bugs to be overwhelmed.

kazga

Watchdog

August 15th, 2020, 19:49
Is this similar to Rim-World as I never understood the appeal?
--
"I've been told my tastes in games is shitty. Instead of getting offended I agree. As most new games are shitty. So I counter and ask you is everyone's taste shitty then?" - Old Grognard

Old Grognard

Jaded Old-Timer

August 15th, 2020, 19:57
Originally Posted by kazga View Post
The latter. Started improvising instead of pausing and planning out the layout of my base. I don't need bugs to be overwhelmed.
Yes, the game needs planning. Well, "needs" is a strong word, but it's certainly a lot easier with proper planning.

Originally Posted by Old Grognard View Post
Is this similar to Rim-World as I never understood the appeal?
They're very different from one another. Factorio is all about thinking through a set of logistical problems and seeing your creation take shape. Rimworld is more of a simulated survival game w/ AI-enhanced settlers. Factorio is the #2 most highly rated Steam game of all time, while Rimworld is a lowly #5

Factorio has an available demo for the as-of-yet unitiated.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

August 17th, 2020, 19:42
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Yes, the game needs planning. Well, "needs" is a strong word, but it's certainly a lot easier with proper planning.
Well this thread was motivating enough to get me going for another start What happens when certain resource on the map gets depleted? Can that even happen or is it just a matter of relocating the industry to another part of the map and using transport (e.g. trains) to connect it to your main industrial hub. And what do you do with the remaining infrastructure? Noobish questions, but I need to know this before embarking again

kazga

Watchdog

August 17th, 2020, 21:16
Originally Posted by kazga View Post
What happens when certain resource on the map gets depleted?
At default settings, ore patches are pretty well-balanced to deplete at rates coinciding with your advancing tech levels. So, faster belts and trains should keep your base sufficiently supplied as long as you keep track of when you need to set up another resource mining location . The further you travel from your starting location, the more dense ore patches become.

Some people do split apart their industries into various parts of the map, but it's mostly a megabase thing (and not all too common even there).

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Factorio out of early access!!