Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Reviews - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Reviews

Default Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Reviews

October 7th, 2020, 23:47
Originally Posted by FurtiveNyctophile View Post
It's… not. It's a turn-based D&D adventure set in the Forgotten Realms. It reminds me a *lot* of BG1 and BG2 and even Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

As it should, I'd think. How many turn-based D&D games do we have, exactly…?
The lack of D&D games nor the fact it's TB D&D isn't the right reason to call it BG1/BG2/Pathfinder like but that's your opinion I guess.

I've heard plenty of people calling it D:OS3/D:OS2.5 after playing EA.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#61

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,952
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)

Default 

October 8th, 2020, 00:39
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
The lack of D&D games nor the fact it's TB D&D isn't the right reason to call it BG1/BG2/Pathfinder like but that's your opinion I guess.

I've heard plenty of people calling it D:OS3/D:OS2.5 after playing EA.
I am sorry purpleblob, but I completely disagree. The game BG was named after a city of the Forgotten Realms setting of the same name. So, the campaign setting comes before the BioWare game and as long as the game takes place in the FR (a D&D setting), I guess it makes sense to use that title. Moreover, I think that is up to WotC to use that title however they please. Personally, for me, as more in line with the tabletop game the better (and the more it makes sense to use such titles).
gabrielarantest is offline

gabrielarantest

gabrielarantest's Avatar
Stubborn Dwarf
RPGWatch Donor

#62

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 8th, 2020, 03:09
Originally Posted by gabrielarantest View Post
I am sorry purpleblob, but I completely disagree. The game BG was named after a city of the Forgotten Realms setting of the same name. So, the campaign setting comes before the BioWare game and as long as the game takes place in the FR (a D&D setting), I guess it makes sense to use that title. Moreover, I think that is up to WotC to use that title however they please. Personally, for me, as more in line with the tabletop game the better (and the more it makes sense to use such titles).
I'm not discussing about whether the title is appropriate or not but ok?

Furtive said BG3 reminds him of BG1/2/Pathfinder and I was noting a lot of people find it feel much more like D:OS2 rather than former mentioned games.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#63

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,952
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)

Default 

October 8th, 2020, 03:49
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
I'm not discussing about whether the title is appropriate or not but ok?

Furtive said BG3 reminds him of BG1/2/Pathfinder and I was noting a lot of people find it feel much more like D:OS2 rather than former mentioned games.
Ok, but I fail to see the point here. By that, you are implying that it would be more appropriate to call the game D:OS 3? Even if the game takes place in BG surroundings? Or are you suggesting that the game is more of a D:OS continuation than BG2?
gabrielarantest is offline

gabrielarantest

gabrielarantest's Avatar
Stubborn Dwarf
RPGWatch Donor

#64

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

October 8th, 2020, 18:16
The first hot-fix was released.

Baldur's Gate 3 - Hotfix #1 - The Journey Begins!
Hello everyone,

We are so thrilled with how many of you are playing Baldur’s Gate 3, and we’re glad Steam was eventually able to accommodate you all. Our servers are keeping up, but just about! We never imagined such a huge influx of players in what we had envisioned being a relatively modest party of Early Access players. But we’re up to the challenge, and we’ve been listening!

We’re still working on the multiplayer issues that some of you are experiencing (and we’re very close to solving several of them), but Hotfix 1 already fixes a number of issues and covers other things you reported.

As a general message, if you’re having difficulty getting the game running, or are experiencing crashes, switch the game to DX11 mode (in the launcher, click the gear), and make sure you have the most up to date graphics drivers.

We also recommend in some cases disabling the Steam / Discord overlays, if you experience slowdowns while activated.
--
"My news thread updated weekly for anyone interested in more news." - Couchpotato
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#65

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great ol'Murica
Posts: 24,319
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)

Default 

October 8th, 2020, 18:25
MOAR BALDUR'S GATE 3 THREADS!!

--
"An era can be considered over when its basic illusions have been exhausted." Arthur Miller
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#66

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 9,507
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

Default 

October 8th, 2020, 18:28
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
MOAR BALDUR'S GATE 3 THREADS!!
There's to many I don't know where to post the patch link.

At least I have a thread with all my posts.

Though I usually double post on news-bit as well.
--
"My news thread updated weekly for anyone interested in more news." - Couchpotato
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#67

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great ol'Murica
Posts: 24,319
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 8th, 2020, 20:23
So, kind of a mixed bag, is it? While I loathe what 4E has done to the Realms ("Spellplague"…), I am curious about 5E and Sven has yet to really fail on any of his promises (well, except that one with the NPC schedules in the D:OS kickstarter).

But I still don't see how this fits into the storyline they pretend to continue. And their non-human characters look like something straight out of The Dark Cystal. That's bad, but maybe I can forgive that.
What I cannot, is railroading in a narrative game. I quit both DA:O and P:K long before the end because of that, and now from the Ars Technica "review" (that isn't linked properly in the news, btw.) it seems there will be more of that in BG3. To those that took the plunge: how is it actually? Can you refuse actions if you feel they are really against the fundamentals of your character? Do your choices have consequences both meaningful and plausible? Is there enough agency for the player?
Moorkh is offline

Moorkh

Moorkh's Avatar
little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#68

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

October 8th, 2020, 20:42
Originally Posted by Moorkh View Post
So, kind of a mixed bag, is it? While I loathe what 4E has done to the Realms ("Spellplague"…), I am curious about 5E and Sven has yet to really fail on any of his promises (well, except that one with the NPC schedules in the D:OS kickstarter).

But I still don't see how this fits into the storyline they pretend to continue. And their non-human characters look like something straight out of The Dark Cystal. That's bad, but maybe I can forgive that.
What I cannot, is railroading in a narrative game. I quit both DA:O and P:K long before the end because of that, and now from the Ars Technica "review" (that isn't linked properly in the news, btw.) it seems there will be more of that in BG3. To those that took the plunge: how is it actually? Can you refuse actions if you feel they are really against the fundamentals of your character? Do your choices have consequences both meaningful and plausible? Is there enough agency for the player?
I've played for about 6 hours and it's probably one of the games with the most meaningful choices I have seen. Whether that's 'enough' is hard to judge as I don't know your bar.

It's still a game and it's not possible to make up an infinite amount of choices available like you would in a real dnd pen and paper game, but there are many many choices.
Many of these lead to different outcomes from what I can see.

Hard to explain without providing spoilers.
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#69

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,598
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio
+1:

Default 

October 8th, 2020, 21:15
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Hard to explain without providing spoilers.
Go ahead and spoil -
Spoiler – spoilers


What I meant: In P:K I stayed spoiler-free and found my greedy opportunist character railroaded into a fantasy kingdom management sim after the first chapter where I was forced into absurd choices to avoid game over. In DA:O, my laidback bard(?) was coerced into joining a fascist cult after the introduction. I just hate it when a game lures me with the freedom of defining my own character but then forces me to play a very specific role to follow what they have in mind for me. Of course, I see why this makes sense from a game design perspective, but you don't have to make it that obvious/jarring.
Moorkh is offline

Moorkh

Moorkh's Avatar
little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#70

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

October 8th, 2020, 22:33
Originally Posted by Moorkh View Post
Go ahead and spoil -
Spoiler – spoilers


What I meant: In P:K I stayed spoiler-free and found my greedy opportunist character railroaded into a fantasy kingdom management sim after the first chapter where I was forced into absurd choices to avoid game over. In DA:O, my laidback bard(?) was coerced into joining a fascist cult after the introduction. I just hate it when a game lures me with the freedom of defining my own character but then forces me to play a very specific role to follow what they have in mind for me. Of course, I see why this makes sense from a game design perspective, but you don't have to make it that obvious/jarring.
Well, I have no way of telling if this game is going to be for you. PKM actually makes kingdom management optional and many quest have multiple options too. So it's hard for me to tell you especially having only played for 6 hours.

However, just one quest example:
Spoiler – Early game
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#71

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,598
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

October 8th, 2020, 22:49
Thanks. I still needed to rule completely contre coeur in P:K when my character would have preferred to just sell the realm to the highest bidder. I guess I'm looking for the freedom to play the character I create and yet find a narrative path that comes close enough, and not needing to adapt the character to a choice of types the designer had in mind and that I cannot know beforehand. The more involved the plot, alas, the less harder that is.
Moorkh is offline

Moorkh

Moorkh's Avatar
little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#72

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

October 9th, 2020, 00:03
Originally Posted by Moorkh View Post
Thanks. I still needed to rule completely contre coeur in P:K when my character would have preferred to just sell the realm to the highest bidder.
That's kind of like picking up an Assassin's Creed game and being disappointed you can't retire to become a farmer.

Role-playing doesn't and never has meant "do whatever the hell you want." It's really not the developer's fault if you're unwilling to operate within the bounds of what the game is.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#73

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

October 9th, 2020, 01:06
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
That's kind of like picking up an Assassin's Creed game and being disappointed you can't retire to become a farmer.

Role-playing doesn't and never has meant "do whatever the hell you want." It's really not the developer's fault if you're unwilling to operate within the bounds of what the game is.
That's not even close to what he said.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#74

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 28,040
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

Default 

October 9th, 2020, 12:36
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Role-playing doesn't and never has meant "do whatever the hell you want."
It pretty much does and always has done. If you want to be specific, it means "play a chosen role". Some games promise to allow me to choose more freely than others. I then expect them to deliver on that.

(From the kickstarter: "Pathfinder allows players to create heroes (or villains) that fit both their individual gameplay styles and their personalities.")
Moorkh is offline

Moorkh

Moorkh's Avatar
little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#75

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

October 9th, 2020, 14:30
Originally Posted by Moorkh View Post
It pretty much does and always has done. If you want to be specific, it means "play a chosen role". Some games promise to allow me to choose more freely than others. I then expect them to deliver on that.

(From the kickstarter: "Pathfinder allows players to create heroes (or villains) that fit both their individual gameplay styles and their personalities.")
Yeah but up to a point obviously. They can't design for every single possible person.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#76

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,598
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

October 9th, 2020, 19:09
Originally Posted by Moorkh View Post
It pretty much does and always has done. If you want to be specific, it means "play a chosen role". Some games promise to allow me to choose more freely than others. I then expect them to deliver on that.

(From the kickstarter: "Pathfinder allows players to create heroes (or villains) that fit both their individual gameplay styles and their personalities.")
Absolutely not. Every game has constraints. Every game supports certain activities and roles and not others, without exception. When we play an RPG, we are bound by an unwritten contract that we exercise our freedom to role-play within the constraints of what that game is. If you decide that you don't like those constraints (like someone who wants to sell the kingdom whose management forms the basis of the game that person is playing), you have zero cause to complain that the game doesn't allow you to freely role-play. If I'm playing Mass Effect, I'm Shephard and I'm saving the galaxy from Reapers. I can make decisions within that paradigm, but I can't decide to go live on a planet and be a raider. I can't decide to join the Reapers. I can't do "whatever the hell I want" because you are role-playing a specific character in a specific context, just like you are in every RPG ever made.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#77

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 9th, 2020, 21:06
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I can't do "whatever the hell I want" because you are role-playing a specific character in a specific context, just like you are in every RPG ever made.
:O Put your way, every game, from AssCreed to Pac-Man would fit the definition! In my book, what puts RPGs apart is that you get to define or at least flesh out your role in a meaningful way. Indeed, my PnP group would be very upset if I held them to some "unwritten agreement".
Moorkh is offline

Moorkh

Moorkh's Avatar
little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#78

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

October 9th, 2020, 21:10
Originally Posted by Moorkh View Post
:O Put your way, every game, from AssCreed to Pac-Man would fit the definition! In my book, what puts RPGs apart is that you get to define or at least flesh out your role in a meaningful way. Indeed, my PnP group would be very upset if I held them to some "unwritten agreement".
Let's put it this way: how would you react as a GM if one of your players decided that what they wanted to do was kill every other character in the party? How do you suppose your other players would react if their character was killed in this way?

There is an unwritten agreement. You apparently just don't realize it, even though you operate under it. Your players have to respect the game you've put together or it all falls apart. And they have to respect each other. Players don't decide to say fuck everything we've been doing, we're going to join a circus now and you, GM, need to make our sessions about the ins and outs of cleaning up elephant shit and putting on makeup now.

One more time, as clear as I can make it:
Kingmaker is about running a kingdom. The plot and many of the activities in the game literally revolve around it. Complaining that you can't just sell off the kingdom because "role-playing" is like complaining that a racing game doesn't allow you to sell your car and become a car salesman instead.

I feel like something basic isn't getting through to you, so this is my last post on the subject.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#79

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

October 9th, 2020, 21:20
This happened before. Several new characters had to be rolled. I had a player insisting their character throw their own poop at an allied leader. There were consequences, and the attempt was not repeated. But I had to give my players their agency, no matter what. As long as they played out their role, that is.

edit: you stealth-edited your post, you sneaky person! This completely derails the flow of our discussion!
Last edited by Moorkh; October 9th, 2020 at 22:24. Reason: reacting to stealthy edit
Moorkh is offline

Moorkh

Moorkh's Avatar
little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#80

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Reviews
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:45.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch