InXile Entertainment - Maybe Working on Steampunk RPG

Now lets be real here could you imagine Arcanum revival?

It seems too easy to punkify a term.
Steampunk (steam age). Dieselpunk (liquid fuels). What about Greenpunk (renewables?).
Grasspunk (hippies), digipunk (Digimon fan-fic with attitood), metapunk (punk about punk). Sheepunk (sheep farmers).

What about...Frostpunk? ;)
But its fun to just search for Punk in steam:
Cuberpunk (with cubes)
RussianPunk
Hell Punk
WizardPunk
SpellPunk
DesertPunk
Steelpunk
Cloudpunk

But back to topic: Wasn't big fan of Arcanum. Combat didnt feel well, and I think I didn't like the character system. And all the portraits you could chose from were kinda ugly, not graphics wise, but I didnt want to look like THAT ;)

Frostpunk the actual game is Steampunk.:p

It's a mix of Steampunk and Post Apocalypse to be precise. :D

One of the weirder settings I guess. Same as Insomnia, which is science fiction Dieselpunk I guess.

I have to replay Frostpunk with all the new content I missed. Never finished Insomnia due to bugs and reading the ending spoilers. Some endings just ruin the whole game.

What I personally love of the Eberron setting is this :

It mixes typical - although not medieval - fantasy with a variation of steampunk - keywords: the Warforged Ones. Lightning Rails. Sharn alone. Airships. "Magotech" is the entry word for that at TV Tropes.

It places things & themes known from the classical fantasy settings into a new environment. Xen'drik is deep jungle; Sharn is deep town space, almost "urban fantasy" in itself. But, Eberron is even more : It is one of the few fantasy settings with pirates.

I*d really like to see an offline sp RPG for that setting, because it still feels kinda fresh & new to me. And underrated, but that's my very personal opinion.

The only Steampunk game I liked - although I didn't play it through - is Arcanum.

Eberron would be cool. Dark Sun also. My favorite D&D game is, after all, Planescape: Torment. It's a bit of a shame that we haven't gotten more RPGs in their lesser known but interesting settings over the years. It's been mosty Forgotten Realms.

There's a game that used the Eberron setting, but I wasn't too impressed. I'd love to see something modern in Dark Sun or Ravenloft.

Back
Top Bottom