Ultima IV - Remake from BioWare Mythic?

The Arcania engine has also been ported to browsers. There was a video somewhere.

Browser games are on the rise. Their technology will advance quickly for the next couple of years.

Yes ... Drakensang Online (the action game that has nothing to do with the originals but the name), too.

Pretty interesting to see PC gamers showing so much support for browser gaming. That's like a sports car enthusiast arguing how great bicycling really is - in a world where there's a freeway whenever you need it.

Of course, it's not the platform - but let's not pretend the platform doesn't matter.

If you sit down and think about it, do you really think an Ultima 4 remake should be a browser game?

Are you so desperate for that great old classic, that you'll praise every initiative by a small EA funded team headed by the ultimate PR dude?

Dude, it's ULTIMA and there is no info other than it's on a browser. Just let us dream, ok? We can be cynical about it AFTER we get the details ;)

Dude, it's ULTIMA and there is no info other than it's on a browser. Just let us dream, ok? We can be cynical about it AFTER we get the details ;)

I'm trying to mitigate the disappointment!

Unless you like being disappointed, of course.

It's not impossible that I'm entirely wrong, and that Paul Barnett changed personality and for some reason chose Ultima 4 to do something really special, as some kind of revolutionary browsergame - and if that's the case, I'll gladly admit I was too cynical too soon.

If I'm right, though, I think the Watch should band together and create a proper Ultima sequel and give it to me!

I stopped caring about internet connections when they started offering DSL to my Mom who lives in the middle of nowhere in the Arizona Desert. She has about the same internet speed as I do and I live in freaking Taiwan :) If she can get it then the internet is a non-issue, imo.

Good on your mum :) Still, she lives in freaking US of A. And even so, her neighbour might simply not be able to afford that.

Apparently, there are 500 million broadband connections all over the world. Multiply it by some imaginary household of four and you get 2 billion. Impressive - but still…

Anyway, what exactly do you (user) gain by it being browser based vs one-off download? (no irony this, really asking)

There are actually some benefits for you as a user… save-games can be online.. so no losing your saves… you don't need to download or install something on your HD…. saving space + you don't need to wait for the download time to begin to play.

Also it helps against piracy that is not a benefit for the consumer though but it is for the developer.....

I know what browser gaming is, and I know what it isn't.

It isn't the ideal platform for singleplayer PC games, that's for sure.

Well, actually with the unity web-player you could do most things that you could do with a none browser based game…. that was the point.. and unity is really pushing that to make the gap less and less.

Unless you want the absolute latest AAA graphics and sounds with top performance that is. But I think most of us here don't consider that the most important thing in a game.

There are actually some benefits for you as a user… save-games can be online.. so no losing your saves… you don't need to download or install something on your HD…. saving space + you don't need to wait for the download time to begin to play.

Also it helps against piracy that is not a benefit for the consumer though but it is for the developer…..

Well, actually with the unity web-player you could do most things that you could do with a none browser based game…. that was the point.. and unity is really pushing that to make the gap less and less.

Unless you want the absolute latest AAA graphics and sounds with top performance that is. But I think most of us here don't consider that the most important thing in a game.

The platform in itself is not what I'm talking about. I know that you can do many neat things with browser games, and I'm sure there are advantages to the platform - even though I think what you mention is pretty insignificant.

I'm claiming the choice of the platform has nothing to do with actually making a better game, but everything to do with maximising profit.

Again, the platform in itself is not the issue. Please understand that. You could have the best CRPG in existence in a browser environment - theoretically. This is about thinking and considering WHY they're doing it this way.

Why don't you come up with a few examples of strong browser CRPG titles. I'd like to know of a few that can compete with upcoming titles like Risen 2 and The Witcher 2. I mean, it's possible - right? So there MUST be some browser games with similar qualities.

Let's just see this remake when it comes out, ok. I'll let the game speak for itself.

I'm trying to mitigate the disappointment!

It's not impossible that I'm entirely wrong, and that Paul Barnett changed personality and for some reason chose Ultima 4 to do something really special, as some kind of revolutionary browsergame - and if that's the case, I'll gladly admit I was too cynical too soon.
I'm already pondering what to call you. :)
If I'm right, though, I think the Watch should band together and create a proper Ultima sequel and give it to me!

Seems we`re different types of a user... I like my saves as close to me as possible, i`d rather download/install something once (10 mins max in this case) than have to wait for logins/browser loading code every time I want to play. Space? Seriously, in era of 1TB drives?

Good on your mum :) Still, she lives in freaking US of A. And even so, her neighbour might simply not be able to afford that.

Apparently, there are 500 million broadband connections all over the world. Multiply it by some imaginary household of four and you get 2 billion. Impressive - but still…

Anyway, what exactly do you (user) gain by it being browser based vs one-off download? (no irony this, really asking)

I'm not saying I'm happy about this browser thing. I'm just saying I'm not all doom & gloom like our old friend Dartagnan is. Don't worry though, I'll be up in arms once they announce the details for it, until then there is hope it might be decent.

As for your question, I want a downloaded/store bought game a hell of a lot more than one I play on Firefox. So I wouldn't be a good person to ask ;)

Oh and some of you asked for a good browser based game well here it is: Interstellar Marines. I totally forgot all about this game until this topic reminded me of it.

What they are doing with a browser is amazing. It's not finished yet, but check out the videos and play some of the games they have available, Bullseye and Running Man to get an idea of just how cool this game looks on a browser.

Before anyone says anything I know it's not an RPG, but just look at this thing and IT'S ON YOUR BROWSER.

So there is some hope, not much, but some for a halfway decent Ultima game.

Oh and some of you asked for a good browser based game well here it is: Interstellar Marines. I totally forgot all about this game until this topic reminded me of it.

What they are doing with a browser is amazing. It's not finished yet, but check out the videos and play some of the games they have available, Bullseye and Running Man to get an idea of just how cool this game looks on a browser

Very impressive for a browser game, but I'm afraid it pales in comparison with modern shooters - like Bad Company 2 or Metro 2033.

Again, nothing inherently wrong with the platform - except for the real reason so many big names are getting involved with it. It's exactly like DLC.

Invest small and get a big return for minimal effort.

My guess is that the Ultima 4 remake will be a decent little game, perhaps even a good browser game. But there's no way it will do it justice. We'd need Lord British for that, or someone who genuinely cared for and understood the legacy.

If they'd just leave the name alone, and make their own franchise...

Bah, forget Garriot. He left us single-players in the dust a long time ago.

Yea, he understood the legacy alright. The legacy went straight to UO. Which made a lot of people happy I guess, but we few in the minority got left behind to replay his classics. I still love that he did make those games and he always did talk about communities even back then when it wasn't possible (that's what I vagualy remember anyways) so his dream did come true. Ours didn't.

Let someone else take the reigns for the single-player version of Ultima. He doesn't want to do it anymore.

Anyways, Lord British aside, if this was a AAA game I really would be worried, but it's not. That means they might just take a chance on a few things.

Oh well, this is all speculation anyways. They need to release some damn info on this game so I know whether or not to don my "EA SUCKS" hat or my "EA RULZ" hat ;)

EDIT: Interstellar Marines is still amazing for being on a browser.

IM aside, I don't need any fancy graphics for an Ultima game.:D

Speaking of that has anyone played that online Ultima-like game called EUO: Ultima Aiera? I haven't played too much of it yet.

Bah, forget Garriot. He left us single-players in the dust a long time ago.

Yea, he understood the legacy alright. The legacy went straight to UO. Which made a lot of people happy I guess, but we few in the minority got left behind to replay his classics. I still love that he did make those games and he always did talk about communities even back then when it wasn't possible (that's what I vagualy remember anyways) so his dream did come true. Ours didn't.

Let someone else take the reigns for the single-player version of Ultima. He doesn't want to do it anymore.

Anyways, Lord British aside, if this was a AAA game I really would be worried, but it's not. That means they might just take a chance on a few things.

Oh well, this is all speculation anyways. They need to release some damn info on this game so I know whether or not to don my "EA SUCKS" hat or my "EA RULZ" hat ;)

I don't think it necessarily has to do with what he wants, but with the fact that it's EA that owns the franchise.

But I wouldn't presume to speak for him. Though, obviously, he's kinda lost touch with gaming - based on Tabula Rasa.

With DLC, it has been demonstrated that people will buy a polished turd, if only the price is similar to a hot meal or a movie ticket. At that point, people generally stop caring.

I don't, though, and I don't even care about the money :)

I just don't like opportunism for its own sake... Sorry about that...

Don't worry though, I'll be up in arms once they announce the details for it, until then there is hope it might be decent.

Yeah, I guess thats a sensible thing to do :)

As for Marines, just had a go, but in my case it actually exemplified problems with browser based games. Registered and got error message saying I didn`t. And yet I could log in. Next - few minutes of engine loading. Ok, it looks swell…unless I turned around, which produced terrible tearing, even on lowest details/mouse smoothed.

I guess it`s down to connection speed not hardware. Mine ain`t nothing special - speedtest.net just showed 4.25 Mbit down and 0.5Mbit up - but quite standard for my area. Did you guys get that tearing as well?

I just played running man before I posted. Got up to mission 4 or 5. It played beautifully for me. Damn robots almost killed me on the last mission. It fooled me into thinking that protecting certain areas for 30 seconds would be a piece of cake after the first two areas, but that last area was a pain. I had to get headshots in so I wouldn't have to reload so much because when I was reloading those robots that exploded were coming on strong.

I would think that 4.25 Mbit would be plenty.

I tested my connection. With a server in Taipei I get 9 M download and 1M upload. With one in Los Angelos it's 1 Mbit Download .5 Mbit upload.

But I wouldn't presume to speak for him. Though, obviously, he's kinda lost touch with gaming - based on Tabula Rasa.

Tabula Rasa wasn't his NCSoft just hired him to put his name on it... kind of a marketing ploy..... either way he is what made the ultimate games great.... he was not that much involved in U8 and even less in U9.... need I say more ?

Back
Top Bottom