SW: Old Republic Preview

Interesting. Kinda confirms my suspicion that this is a singleplayer-turned-multiplayer game camouflaged as an mmo. That story content isn't gonna last long so it'll be interesting to see what the long term gameplay will be. Anyway, I'm certainly going to participate in the public beta to see if its any good.

Another quote:
A very minor downside to the tight storyline each class follows is that play will still be very linear, compared to other MMOs like WoW. While you can exercise choice in your moral path, you can't do much to change your geographical one. Characters that begin on one planet will always follow the same planet-to-planet trajectory as the story progresses, and will have no navigational options, though there are some opportunities for action on the side, like space combat and flashpoints.

An another one from the singleplayer crowd:
Instead, the issue that plagues The Old Republic is one of predictability. An MMO from such accomplished RPG writers and based on such a rich fiction could have redefined the genre, but instead appears to merely ape other MMOs, with little thought given to reconciling the fiction with the gameplay or capitalising on the depth of the narrative. From what we've seen, there’s very little to make The Old Republic stand out from any other MMO we’ve played.

Last edited:
It's exactly how I've always planned to play this game, as a cheap (in cost) RPG. Why cheap? Well, there are I think 10 classes, each class with a completely different storyline, so in a way it's like 10 different RPGs. That should keep me entertained for like a year. At $13/month + $50 for the game, that's about $200. 10 games for $200 that's $20 each :) very cheap!

It's exactly how I've always planned to play this game, as a cheap (in cost) RPG. Why cheap? Well, there are I think 10 classes, each class with a completely different storyline, so in a way it's like 10 different RPGs. That should keep me entertained for like a year. At $13/month + $50 for the game, that's about $200. 10 games for $200 that's $20 each :) very cheap!
They exaggerate a little with the "x novels worth". For instance, the locations will be the same. You progress linearly from the same planet to the next with all classes. The Flashpoints (dungeons) will be the same, and the stories will also intersect since you can group on quests.

It'll be very interesting to see where this game stands one year after release. I think EA will be very happy if you end up spending $200. :biggrin:

They exaggerate a little with the "x novels worth". For instance, the locations will be the same. You progress linearly from the same planet to the next with all classes. The Flashpoints (dungeons) will be the same, and the stories will also intersect since you can group on quests.

It'll be very interesting to see where this game stands one year after release. I think EA will be very happy if you end up spending $200. :biggrin:

That's the thing, I care about stories not locations. I remember playing Quest for Glory 3 times as if it was 3 different games. Same locations, but very different gameplay and somewhat different story depending on class. So I will play TOR as different games. My only problem is that I don't usually like playing melee characters, my preferred would be probably the Jedi Consular, but still.
As to where the game will stand a year after release. Simple, there'll be an expansion so I'll probably be continuing my 'games' :)

Here is a new gameplay video from E3 with one of the writers of the game giving a tour of mid-level gameplay. Things presented are quest system, travel system, size of planets, companion characters, trashmob combat, and QA from gamers.

Last edited:
What's this about 4 characters per party max??

It's active for betatesters from what I've read. Too many people on a planet will trigger spawning of a new instance. The starting planets are also completely instanced. The instancing is strong with this one!

I actually prefer instances by far. Can't wait for this game to be released. There is no release date yet, I'm hoping for early November.

The starting planets are also completely instanced. The instancing is strong with this one!

Please don't spout misleading BS. Thank you.

Starting planets have a capacity cap, like every starting zones in every MMO (vanilla WoW had them). The other choices is massive lag in starting areas and server crashes.

In game testing, the cap is probably lower as to test the feature and see how it react. Just like they tested guild features by making 2 guilds on each side last weekend and invited every players to them.

Please don't spout misleading BS. Thank you.
If so then I stand corrected.

Starting planets have a capacity cap, like every starting zones in every MMO (vanilla WoW had them). The other choices is massive lag in starting areas and server crashes.
WoW, really? WoW isn't instanced per zone. I never saw that, even in Outland which was jammed packed with people at launch.

In game testing, the cap is probably lower as to test the feature and see how it react. Just like they tested guild features by making 2 guilds on each side last weekend and invited every players to them.
But it's a little stange that there are four starting planets, and once people leave those they get funneled along the same planets which would mean it would only get worse.

Last edited:
WoW didn't have a capacity cap - THAT's bullshit. There's a reason starting/popular areas lag like crazy every time a new patch is released. That's because they rely on the server cap and nothing else. At least, they did when I played it.

People love to dream that testing is somehow completely different from the full game - but if there's a cap - it will affect the full game. To even HAVE the instancing technology in place means they intend to use it - as it's not a trivial thing to implement on the server-side.

Obviously, this will be an instanced game. Starting areas are not the only ones affected by potential massive turnups. You either have the technology or landmass to deal with this without instancing or you don't.

Anything else is misleading BS.

Pre-orders are starting to appear. Collector's Edition is going at $150. Any takers? In Norway the price is $236. :roll:
Limited Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Malgus statue
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic game disks in collectible metal case
  • The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural annotated by Satele Shan
  • Old Republic galaxy map
  • Custom Security Authentication Key
  • Exclusive Music of Star Wars: The Old Republic CD
  • High-quality Collector's Edition box
Includes 7 additional digital items
  • Flare Gun: Fire flares into the air.
  • Training Droid: Hovers at your side for combat assistance.
  • HoloDancer: Project your own holographic dancer.
  • HoloCam: Keep visual records of in-game adventures.
  • STAP: Sleek and unique in-game vehicle.
  • Exclusive Mouse Droid: Spunky droid to join your adventures.
  • Exclusive Collector's Edition Store: Unique in-game vendor with a dynamic assortment of items.
A sidenote: There won't be any public beta according to interviews. It will probably have a ramped up invited beta before launch. They say they have about 1000 testers now.

Last edited:
Preordered and registered my early access key baby! Haven't been this hyped up about a game in years. Only the standard edition though, I'm not paying $150 for a game, I don't care if it has a real life holo-dancer.

I pre-ordered the digital deluxe edition, which costs about 100$ in Norway (600kr).

I'm interested in the game, but there's no way I'll support prices like that.

Back
Top Bottom