HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamesindustry.biz sums up some Final Fantasy VII Remake reviews:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Critical Consensus

Critics praise this impressive but bloated reimagining of the iconic RPG

It wouldn't be a stretch to say Final Fantasy 7 Remake is one of the most anticipated releases of all time.

Since the 2005 PS3 tech demo -- ten years before this remake was officially announced -- fans have longed to explore a modern take on Midgar. The overhauled edition of Square Enix's iconic 23-year-old RPG finally arrives this week, assuming you aren't in an area that has already received copies.

Can any game live up to decades' worth of expectations? Final Fantasy 7 Remake's Metacritic score of 87 suggests so, with critics agreeing it delivers on the childhood memories so many fans cling to.

"With smart (and surprising) additions to a classic world and its inhabitants, Final Fantasy 7 Remake artfully appeals to nostalgia without being bound by it," writes Joe Juba in Game Informer's 8.75 review.

Video Games Chronicle's Jon Bailes adds in his five-star critique: "What's here, right now, is a partial re-formed classic, updated and expanded in every direction, at times to the point of over-inflation, but with extraordinary ambition and care that we can't help but love it."

In her Eurogamer review, which awards a Recommended rating, Aoife Wilson assures that Final Fantasy 7 Remake does justice to the original, describing the experience as "emotional -- even if the remake makes a few missteps along the way."

[...]
More information.

It's sounding like they took a 10 hour part of the original game, added some new stuff to make it into something like a 20 hour game, then padded it into a 30 hour game to justify the cost. Hmph.

Well, hopefully they will learn a lesson and make the next entry cover more ground.

A console game, one of the most anticipated of all time. Sure.

Next.

It's sounding like they took a 10 hour part of the original game, added some new stuff to make it into something like a 20 hour game, then padded it into a 30 hour game to justify the cost. Hmph.

Well, hopefully they will learn a lesson and make the next entry cover more ground.

It's being positively reviewed and will probably sell like gangbusters. What lesson are you imagining they'll take from that?

I had only PC in the old days so I didnt play original game when it was released. And I also never got to play it later. I played large chunks of FF9, FFX and FFXV and right now Im deep in FFXII which I probably like most so far. This new remake is already on the way to me, and Im looking forward to play it.

True, but they can be programmed to need more than 6 buttons to be played. ;)

You know, given that you knew (a) this is a classic console game and (b) it is not a PC game ... you COULD have simply stayed the fuck out of the thread and not polluted it for those of us who are not such PC-only trolls that we can appreciate that there are good games available on every gaming platform ever made. That could have been a possibility ... maybe something for you to consider the next time?

Also, it was an average game even when it was first released. Everyone worth their gaming badges know that III, IV and VI are the good Final Fantasy games. VII only became famous because a whole generation of "gamers" who thought Playstation was the messiah (When its sole success came from how easy it was to pirate games for it, while every other game system at the time was superior, including Sega Saturn) discovered JRPGs and the "amazing graphics" blew the hype out of proportion. VII was the Justin Bieber of gaming. It may sell CDs, but I'll take Madonna or Michael Jackson any day, thank you.

And this version isn't even a shell of what that one was. So yes, most anticipated game release in history. Next to Neoverse. ;)

Last edited:
Also, it was an average game even when it was first released. Everyone worth their gaming badges know that III, IV and VI are the good Final Fantasy games. VII only became famous because a whole generation of "gamers" who thought Playstation was the messiah (When its sole success came from how easy it was to pirate games for it, while every other game system at the time was superior, including Sega Saturn) discovered JRPGs and the "amazing graphics" blew the hype out of proportion. VII was the Justin Bieber of gaming. It may sell CDs, but I'll take Madonna or Michael Jackson any day, thank you.

And this version isn't even a shell of what that one was. So yes, most anticipated game release in history. Next to Neoverse. ;)

It became famous because it dared to deliver an emotional moment in the middle of what was a grind fiesta: Aeris.

It became famous because it dared to deliver an emotional moment in the middle of what was a grind fiesta: Aeris.

I played the original game without using walkthrus and the like, and man, I was really really surprised to what happened to Aeris in mid-game. I was even thinking it was some kind of "prank", that the things would get back to "normal" by the endgame. But no :(

Last edited:
I played the demo....and it was awesome....

I mean it is a beautiful game that really adheres to what the original was.

I am so tempted to plop the money down....it's killing me...I'm in the middle of playing the yakuza games now....so....

Btw, this whole PC master race was so 1990's....get over it.

I'm pretty sure I'll pick this up and replay it for the umpteenth time, and it will be nice to see the new content, so long as the combat is still turn-based and doable. I'll also be waiting for all the game to be fully available and completely patched, first.

True, but they can be programmed to need more than 6 buttons to be played. ;)

You know a console controller has 17 buttons on it, as well as two control sticks. Some console games use them all.

You know a console controller has 17 buttons on it, as well as two control sticks. Some console games use them all.

It's easier to be judgmental when you avoid pesky things like facts. Even this thing had 8.

Nintendo+controller.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'll pick this up and replay it for the umpteenth time, and it will be nice to see the new content, so long as the combat is still turn-based and doable. I'll also be waiting for all the game to be fully available and completely patched, first.

It's not, but I thought it was fun when I played the demo.

And combinations of them, indeed! For example, in FIFA 2020 Circle makes a long pass, but L2+Circle makes the pass more lofty and slow, which is ideal in some situations. If you do Triangle, you do a "Pass through" through the ground, but L2+Triangle, makes the pass through elevated.

The combinations are endless. I can't wait for the next CRPG release to be a console exclusive, as it comes being tradition, since consoles are well known for catering to cultured and educated audiences with honestly, no attempts at catering to the lowest common denominator, accessibility and massification whatsoever. The hype is real. Man, those 17 buttons, can't wait to press them all in every possible order.

And combinations of them, indeed! For example, in FIFA 2020 Circle makes a long pass, but L2+Circle makes the pass more lofty and slow, which is ideal in some situations. If you do Triangle, you do a "Pass through" through the ground, but L2+Triangle, makes the pass through elevated.

The combinations are endless. I can't wait for the next CRPG release to be a console exclusive, as it comes being tradition, since consoles are well known for catering to cultured and educated audiences with honestly, no attempts at catering to the lowest common denominator, accessibility and massification. The hype is real. Man, those 17 buttons, can't wait to press them all in every possible order.

Geez....if only we all fell into your level of intelligence....so witty.

Back
Top Bottom