The Waylanders - Preview @ Gamespace - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Waylanders - Preview @ Gamespace

Default The Waylanders - Preview @ Gamespace

July 10th, 2020, 20:38
Gamespace checked out The Waylanders:

The Waylanders Hands-On Preview for PC

A promising RPG in the style of Dragon Age and Baldur's Gate

I've been following the development of The Waylanders for at least a couple of years now and was eager to play it when it went into early access on Steam this week. There was reportedly a Celtic flavor that piqued my interest and I can tell you what I've played of the alpha build is quite promising. This is our initial impressions review of The Waylanders for PC.

There may be a slight bias here since Dragon Age is probably my favorite RPG series of all time and some Bioware staff has worked on this title. The art style is surprisingly fresh and slightly cartoonish, which puts it in contrast to games like The Witcher and Dragon Age for example. I didn't feel lost at all during the opening character creation, thankfully; since this is the alpha build I hope more customization options will be present at launch. As is par for the course in RPGs like this, you have a robust amount of classes and races to pick from; I still can't decide between werewolf and human for my playthrough. Trans and non-binary readers should happily note you can pick your pronouns and voice tone if you need to; I thought it was a nice, inclusive addition. All standard RPG classes (warrior, ranger, mage, rogue, healer) are also present and accounted for.

[…]
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

July 10th, 2020, 21:08
The bits of this game I've seen make it seem like it's an RPG in the style of Dragon Age and Baldur's Gate like Star Crash was a movie in the style of Star Wars. At the very least, I don't like the visual style at all.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:

July 11th, 2020, 12:02
I don't know. I will give it a go.

mat9813004

Watchdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

July 11th, 2020, 14:14
Not the be rude, but I don’t understand why he even made this article.

He’s a big fan of Dragon age, made a character, was unable to play because of technical difficulties so give us a quote from the steam page and that’s it.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

July 11th, 2020, 18:50
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Not the be rude, but I don’t understand why he even made this article.

He’s a big fan of Dragon age, made a character, was unable to play because of technical difficulties so give us a quote from the steam page and that’s it.
I had a "that's it? that's the article?" reaction also.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

July 12th, 2020, 03:12
Promising, eh? Yeah the developers make a lot of promises.

Forgive me if this sounds conspiratorial, but considering that this developer has history of dishonesty, initially had quite a few negative reviews on Steam, and has since been accused of having team members write positive reviews & possibly incentivizing people to post positive Steam reviews…. This reads like a friend of the developer posting the most glowing preview possible. Or if not a friend, then someone who was incentivized to be positive. But I don't know, maybe they were really just so blown away by the trailers that they didn't even need to play the actual game.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

July 12th, 2020, 11:44
Cutscenes are better directed than in most games. 3D map art direction is nice as well. Too bad this has realtime combat.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

July 12th, 2020, 13:15
The graphics are the thing i like the LESS. Waiting for final release anyway.

Telstar

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 12th, 2020, 13:16
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Too bad this has realtime combat.
I don't mind at all, as long as i can pause it. Actually I'm getting tired of turn-based ones that takes too long to complete.

Telstar

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 12th, 2020, 17:49
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
Promising, eh? Yeah the developers make a lot of promises.

Forgive me if this sounds conspiratorial, but considering that this developer has history of dishonesty, initially had quite a few negative reviews on Steam, and has since been accused of having team members write positive reviews & possibly incentivizing people to post positive Steam reviews…. This reads like a friend of the developer posting the most glowing preview possible. Or if not a friend, then someone who was incentivized to be positive. But I don't know, maybe they were really just so blown away by the trailers that they didn't even need to play the actual game.
To be fair the accuser sounded like the same person making multiple posts, same bad english in every post.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

July 12th, 2020, 23:25
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
To be fair the accuser sounded like the same person making multiple posts, same bad english in every post.
But I seem to recall a different post with better English and they cited some evidence. One of the Steam reviews flat out stated "I'm a member of the development team.".

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

July 12th, 2020, 23:33
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
But I seem to recall a different post with better English and they cited some evidence. One of the Steam reviews flat out stated "I'm a member of the development team.".
Well if they say they’re part of the development team its hardly deceptive.

I’m torn on this anyway. On one hand it will definitely be viewed as shady by most if they’re in fact doing what they’re accused of. On the other hand I feel anyone using review scores to make buying decisions kind of gets what they get.

Either way as I said in another thread i don’t really care. I’ll watch development and if it looks like it will turn out to be a good game I’ll buy it.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

July 13th, 2020, 03:01
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Well if they say they’re part of the development team its hardly deceptive.
Agree I feel the same way with bought YouTube previews/reviews.
--
"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everybody thinks everybody else's stinks."

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Waylanders - Preview @ Gamespace