Matt Chat - Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Matt looks back at Dark Sun: Shattered Lands:

Matt Chat 455: Dark Sun, Shattered Lands

This is an abridged version of my retrospective of SSI's Dark Sun: Shattered Land, an excellent CRPG that attempted to revamp the venerable Gold Box engine for the VGA era. Is it perfect? Nah. Is it easy? Oh, heck no. Is it fun? You betcha! Watch the video to learn about the game's history and then follow me and try not to laugh too much as I try to make it through the first chapter!
More information.

Wow, a game you actually like?
Actually I like many games my tastes are just different from most watchers.:lol:

You obviously missed me praising PoE 1&2, Tyranny, ELEX and Atom RPG.

Plenty of Non-RPGs also as I love RTS and 4X games.

Awesome game in a very unique setting.

Also the first time when I encountered choices in a game. Not huge, but in a dialogue you could decide what is going to happen with another prisoner.

Absolutely loved the idea of playing in the arena and stayed there for quite a bit, pleasing the crowd collecting the money they threw at me.

It also comes with some of the most recognizable sound effects. If you played the game, you will probably still remember the attack sound of the slugs, or the howling of the multi-eyed dogs.

While Baldurs Gate was a great game as well, I prefer Dark Sun for it Turn Based combat and cool setting.

Dark Sun = Mix between Baldur's Gate and Fallout.

I loved the game too, but I have a vague recollection that they didn't have the time and/or resources to do weapon attack animations, so everyone looked like they were fighting unarmed regardless of any weapon they had equipped.

Does anyone else recall that, or is that another game I'm thinking of ...

This game is Super-Excellent! MUSTPLAY!!

I WANT A DARK SUN REMAKE
-
I WANT A DARK SUN REMAKE
-
I WANT A DARK SUN REMAKE

I loved the game too, but I have a vague recollection that they didn't have the time and/or resources to do weapon attack animations, so everyone looked like they were fighting unarmed regardless of any weapon they had equipped.

Does anyone else recall that, or is that another game I'm thinking of …

You don't see your characters weapons, which I think is pretty normal, considering how much efford it is to make sprites for all directions and circumstances (like one Sword sprite for 8 directions + for every race). I think other games didn't do that much differently at that time. Like in Realms of Arkania everyone seems to have a sword and so on.

You don't see your characters weapons, which I think is pretty normal, considering how much efford it is to make sprites for all directions and circumstances (like one Sword sprite for 8 directions + for every race). I think other games didn't do that much differently at that time. Like in Realms of Arkania everyone seems to have a sword and so on.

I remember it bothered me a lot when I first started playing, but got used to it quickly.

But honestly, I cannot think of another game that was like that where the characters appear unarmed.

I remember it bothered me a lot when I first started playing, but got used to it quickly.

But honestly, I cannot think of another game that was like that where the characters appear unarmed.

I don't remember that I ever even thought about it. ^^

I think Diablo 1 was the first game which "featured" multiple looks in Weapons and Armor (but even there very limited) which was then extended in D2. But at that point where are in the late 90s (edit 2000 actually ^^)

I've never played it. I've skimmed the video and it looks good. It's also one of Pierre of Knights of the Chalice fame's favourite game ever, which is high praise indeed :). I really have to give it a go at some point, especially since it's on gog so it shouldn't even be a problem getting it to run.

Matt, thanks, I didn't know that greyed out professions can be selected by first deselecting the active default! :-oOoO

If I was forced to pick a favorite RPG it would probably be Dark Sun Shattered Lands. If someone wants to remake it in Realms Beyond toolset you will have my undying gratitude..

This is one IP I wish Wizards of the Coast would revive. Just give it modern graphics, keep the rule-set, and make it turn-based. A man can dream but it will never happen.

The ruleset was quite peculiar (AD&D 2nd edition with some settings mods) so WoTC wont remake it that way. But I believe it could be bent to 5th ed or SRC without too much damage.

I replayed it just over a year ago and while the interface was VERY clunky, I did enjoy the experience. Where else can you play as a large grasshopper?! :)

Funny this one came up - I mentioned this for my top choice of remake, just the other day.

Apparently they revamped Dark Sun for the 4th ed rules back in 2010, so perhaps it's not inconceivable they'll do something new with it.

I had a look at the 4th Ed Campaign Setting. It's a really nice book, and makes me want to play in the world even more.

I think anyone trying to create a fantasy world ought to create a document like this. When it feels authentic, it immediately starts to give a feel for what a game might be like.

Back
Top Bottom