What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

The Nightingale. Fantastic and very gruesome, a hard watch. One of the better Australian films i've seen.

Official Secrets. True story of British whistleblower Katharine Gun. Quite interesting, especially the outcome of her actions.

I can highly recommend both of these, but especially The Nightingale.

Saw Knives Out last night. Great fun. Daniel Craig in particular was fantastic, but the whole mystery plot was great also.
The medical knowledge of a certain character was kinda too stretched. ;)
Nevertheless I'm nitpicking, the movie is brilliant and if there is any justice in this world, it'll win best picture Oscar. Why? Because it is the most entertaining movie from Hollywood I've seen so far from 2019. I admit I haven't seen everything, also dunno which titles will be nominated, but now you know which one I'll shill for. :D
Anyway, no "meh" moment while watching it only that pastwatching nitpick. From recent Hollywood this is not a small feat if you ask me.
The Nightingale. Fantastic and very gruesome, a hard watch. One of the better Australian films i've seen.
I'll check your words after a few days (chosen by a friend to watch together), can't wait!
Official Secrets. True story
Sorry but no biography/history/drama for me. :(
Any more suggestions that aren't that?

Last edited:
I saw a Quiet Passion last night, which is a tale about Emily Dickinson and some members of her family. It was really good, I'd not even heard of the film before, and any excuse to view Keith Carradine works for me. I would have liked to have seen more of her days in school, unfortunately the film didn't really cover that time period.

We watched “The Dead Don’t Die”, a Zom-Com by Jim Jarmusch (Paterson, etc.), starring Adam Driver, Bill Murray, Chloe Sevigny, Tilda Swinton and more. Loads of fun, plenty of cross references and in-jokes, tropes and other fun, with a pretty standard zombie movie ending.

Star Wars, better than the earlier two trash movies, at least it had some story this time around, but it had a lot of bad things about it too, and I watched a film in IMAX for the first time, wow the immersion! ( yes I don't go to the movies very often these days ).

Star Wars, better than the earlier two trash movies, at least it had some story this time around, but it had a lot of bad things about it too, and I watched a film in IMAX for the first time, wow the immersion! ( yes I don't go to the movies very often these days ).

Seeing something like that in IMAX is pretty incredible ... we don’t have anything close anymore, but while we were in Massachusetts we had two about the same distance in either direction. Remember taking the boys to see Attack of the Clones in IMAX - we’d already seen it and while I heard a bunch had to be cut to fit the time constraints I honestly only recall the experience.

Yea… hum what was that furniture store in mass (a bit north of boston) that has the extra large imax theater ? Anyway haven't seen one like that one in a long time.

Seeing something like that in IMAX is pretty incredible … we don’t have anything close anymore, but while we were in Massachusetts we had two about the same distance in either direction. Remember taking the boys to see Attack of the Clones in IMAX - we’d already seen it and while I heard a bunch had to be cut to fit the time constraints I honestly only recall the experience.

Yea… hum what was that furniture store in mass (a bit north of boston) that has the extra large imax theater ? Anyway haven't seen one like that one in a long time.

Jahdan’s (Jordan’s) Furniture. We saw stuff in both Natick and Reading (I worked in Marlborough so that was easy).

A modern take on the super hero alien baby trope movie called Brightburn. Basically a couple raises an alien baby that looks human, but the switch is he is not a hero.

I think therE's another thing that most people won't understand :
That "Amélie" movie is not just a "feelgood movie". No. it isn't.
It's a statement, it's a testament of how sensitive and especially how highly sensitive people (HSPs) perceive the world.
I know from the HSPs I personally know that they all say that this movie shows it very well.
The focus on details. The feeling of hands buried in a bag of beans. The sounds. Collecting stones.
But that's a thing normal people won't understand.
Especially that feeling of burying the hands in a bag full of grain or beans, that tingling, almost tickling sensation, that's something most people won't be able resonate with.

But it is.
Analyzing the movie's characters only subtracts from it's "mystic" impression.

Note something else. Amelie didn't close herself into a room wasting her life on EA's mmos. If there is a statement or a testament there, it's what someone said in another thread recently: go out more often.

Note another thing too. There is a feelgood movie about reverse Amelie who did lock herself in a room and never left it for several years while wasting her life on social networks: Castaway on the Moon. Find it asap. Don't die before watching it.

@Couchpotato so? i think you missed the vital part, was it any good?
Yes it's good the boy is basically evil superman.

Just a warning it's very graphic with the deaths.

Just to say I didn't like Brightburn and instead of it I have to suggest watching Chronicle. Unless I wrote that already, can't remember.

Brightburn's major problem is the year it was made. If it appeared when every celebrity and their mother adopted childern from the so called 3rd world, it'd function as deliberate trolling. Remember True Blood's scene of an imaginary newspaper with a title something like "Angelina adopts a vampire kid"?

Past year however is full of daily reports from Trump's children concentration camps and molesting+murders of children in USA. Release of an evil child movie in 2019 is IMO an epic fail. Same goes for Eli which to me is far better due to a twist than Brightburn, but again, wrong time to release it.

Chronicle is about reckless kids who get themselves some superpowers. Will they become superman or evil superman? Watch and find out.
Eli is about a child so sick he can't survive without a hermetically sealed suit. Who is placed in a haunted house. But this time the house is the victim, instead of torturing the kid, that kid molests the house. Or it's all a hallucination? Watch and check. :)

Last edited:
My stats a few pages back about the 2019 US cinema grosses turned out to incorrect in a couple of ways:

I previously used in-year releases total rather than calendar year totals, this year did indeed turn out to be a year of average attendance, lower than last year, but average still, rather than the notable decline suggested.

However, the Disney share of the annual gross was even more than I previously suggested, as just ten Disney releases this last year accounted for a whopping 32.99% of this last year's total. Meaning the other 894 films released last year amassed just $7.5b between them.

I'm not going to do a year-by-year study to find out how far back you'd have to go to find a year where all movies apart from Disney is just $7.5b, but logic suggests a very long time ago. Like over 10 years probably.

I also inaccurately said that it was a low year for movies getting to the $100m mark, when this was not the case as 29 movies did indeed make that mark this year, though this is still the lowest number since 2016. And nine of them were Disney (nearly one third).

And this really was a year of the big guns for Disney:

The last film of their Star Wars universe series.
The last film of their Avengers universe series.
Another Toy Story movie.
Another Frozen movie.
A remake of The Lion King.

They really shot their load this last year. This coming year, while more exciting in the gaming sphere, will be an extremely interesting one for cinema releases as I seriously doubt Disney can follow that kind of line-up for a very long time. I dunno, just the whole essence of their output this year screams of cashing in their chips as fast as possible, dunno though, it's very weird.

Due to the strong Christmas showing, the top 10 non-franchise/sequel/universe movies has altered somewhat, not in what it contains, just in the order of the top 10 with Ford vs Ferrari and Knives Out getting really strong Christmas attention (actual year ranking in brackets):

1. Us (12) ($175m)
2. Pokémon Detective Pikachu (17)
3. Once Upon a TimeÂ… in Hollywood (18)
4. Knives Out (21)
5. The Upside (26)
6. Ford vs Ferrari (27)
7. Hustlers (29)
8. Rocketman (32)
9. Alita: Battle Angel (33)
10. Good Boys (34) ($83m)

You know it's come to something when you start to feel sorry for the likes of Warner Brothers and Sony!

No offense @joxer but Chronicle is a piece of shit. I hate that camera follow filming.

Of course it does, they used the found footage style and I have no idea why. There was no reason except to bait balairwitchoid audience who normally drool on youtube uploaded bullshit.
But… I love the story. :)

I have absolutely no idea what that person, whomever he might be, is talking about.

Looks like he's trying to point problems in Hollywood and fails. No word about low quality scripts, no word about remakes/reboots flood, no word about no movie about massacre foreign production before it goes worldwide weinstein who faces life sentence for completely different crime - because there is no such thing as xth amendment that covers art crimes. Etc.

Back
Top Bottom