Is it time to just get a console?

S

sakichop

So the Xbox series X Specs have release. Graphically it has the teraflops to compete with a 2080 super, HW RTX, SSD, HDMI 2.1 and K&M support. That's a powerful mushroom Joxer!

Xbox Series X specs

Don't know the price point yet and given that building PC's is a hobby of mine I won't be switching but if this comes in in the 5-600 dollar range would it not make sense for someone who just wants to game and has a low to mid range PC?

Would this temp any Watcher to switch?

So the Xbox series X Specs have release. Graphically it has the teraflops to compete with a 2080 super, HW RTX, SSD, HDMI 2.1 and K&M support. That's a powerful mushroom Joxer!

Xbox Series X specs

Don't know the price point yet and given that building PC's is a hobby of mine I won't be switching but if this comes in in the 5-600 dollar range would it not make sense for someone who just wants to game and has a low to mid range PC?

Would this temp any Watcher to switch?

I also like the support they are showing in terms of backwards and forwards compatibility (e.g. how Cyberpunk owners who buy the XBOne version will get a free upgrade to the new XBOX version when it arrives).

Not enough to switch ... but it is cool.

For me, the decision is easy. Can I play Might and Magic III, VI, VII, VIII? If not, then I can't see it replacing my pc. Since I haven't owned a console in ages, I don't have an X-? library of any type. My most likely buy would be to download and install the Microsoft app for my pc that allows you to play Xbox stuff on your desktop. I'm just not sure if there are any crpgs or survival games that didn't get ported to pc that I'd care to play. I haven't really looked.

Now I'm even weirder than normal since I don't own a television. My wife has a little 32" that she worships, but I just don't get the allure. I do watch some non-commercial TV, but that's from my 24" monitor when I'm bored of reading/gaming/listening to Pandora.

Is it time to just get a console?
No.
Stick with PC. If you desperately need blurry/choppy experience, subscribe to stadia or geforce now.

No. Good grief no. What is wrong with you for even thinking such sacrilege? What is this place coming to. Just no.

What kind of question is that? Buy whatever you think is the best for you.

If you want something just to play games and not worry about settings, framerates, mods*, and don't mind paying a subscription for online go with the console. The new gen consoles look like they might be pretty capable, and they will definitely be cheaper to buy in the than the equivalent PC.

If you want something you can also use for work, something you can set every game setting to your liking, mods, free online and something you can upgrade down the line to be faster than the console, go with PC. Modern consoles are essentially PCs anyway, so whatever hardware they use (AMD combo in this case) will be available for PC, too. The difference is only in software. Plus, the PC, while more expensive at the start will end up being cheaper in the long run.

* I know there are mods on consoles now, but they are currently like 1% of what is available on PC, both in terms of supported games and in terms of available mods for specific games. That will change in the future, but will never reach the level of PC simply because of the different philosophy (plug and play of consoles and set every tiny detail to your liking and then play of PC).

Why would anyone think that getting a console means they're "switching"? You can purchase a console and still primarily be a PC gamer.

I'm definitely getting a PS5 if they confirm it's going to be backwards compatible with PS4 titles.

I've never owned any Xbox system though and probably never will. Any decent titles for Xbox are always made available for PC as well.

Which once again reminds me... why the fuck didn't I buy AMD stock when it was $12 a share?? :-/

Wow, did i ask a simple question or kill someone’s dog? :lol:

@joxer; Cmon you know hardware. That console wont be stuttering or choppy. I believe the spec surpass your current PC.
@wolfgrimdark; Are you joking or seriously overreacting?

@Ivanwah; It’s just a simple question. What’s wrong with it?

I honestly didn’t expect anyone here to switch, I was more or less just trying to start a conversation. Which I may end up regretting. :lol:

However for someone that isn’t in to modding, coding, editing ini’s , etc. Consoles may start to offer an equal or better gaming experience for much cheaper. If they really can achieve 2080 super performance for less money than a 2080 super card alone costs… well, that’s pretty impressive even to me.

Why would anyone think that getting a console means they're "switching"? You can purchase a console and still primarily be a PC gamer.

I'm definitely getting a PS5 if they confirm it's going to be backwards compatible with PS4 titles.

I've never owned any Xbox system though and probably never will. Any decent titles for Xbox are always made available for PC as well.

Which once again reminds me… why the fuck didn't I buy AMD stock when it was $12 a share?? :-/

Oh my god it’s a simple question. I own consoles and a gaming PC now I know you can do both.

I’m asking if it would make people consider switching. Would someone start using a console as their primary gaming device given the price and performance offered.

As for AMD stock I was on my trading app and was going to buy 1000 shares when it was $2.50/share. They had just announced they would start providing chips for consoles. I ended up talking myself out of it. :'(

As for AMD stock I was on my trading app and was going to buy 1000 shares when it was $2.50/share. They had just announced they would start providing chips for consoles. I ended up talking myself out of it. :'(

Ouch. My father grabbed 300 shares when it was $10. Of course now we always talk about why he didn't buy more. It's probably still a good buy at $50, but that's a little higher than what my current price range is.

@sakichop; - Oh I was totally joking. I will be on my PC for as long as I can but pretty much every friend I have also plays with console. I don't own a TV or a couch or even a recliner or anything. If I am not in my computer chair at my PC I am playing with the dogs, standing in the Kitchen, or sleeping/reading on my bed.

It was just my strange, and not very good, attempt at humor.

Not in this time line, I use mods way too much in most of my games. And there are just way too many other advantages to a console that a pc has that it's not even in the realm of possibility.

I'm with the majority here. Even if they came out with a console twice as powerful as my PC I couldn't abandon PC gaming.

Can't explain it really but there's a connection I get with games sitting in my PC chair playing with K&M that I don't get when I'm playing with a controller on the couch.

I play on both and have for decades. I don't know if and when I'll get an Xbox series X (I already have an Xbox One X), but I do and will continue to play some games on consoles.

@sakichop; - Oh I was totally joking. I will be on my PC for as long as I can but pretty much every friend I have also plays with console. I don't own a TV or a couch or even a recliner or anything. If I am not in my computer chair at my PC I am playing with the dogs, standing in the Kitchen, or sleeping/reading on my bed.

It was just my strange, and not very good, attempt at humor.
Dogs? Never heard of that console.

A pibbur whose attempts at humour can be too predictable and as a result.... not very good.

It does sound nice now, but I think it won't be out for a while. Maybe end of the year or even next year?

With Nvidia and amd supposedly releasing their next big thing (ampere and big navi) the coming months you might get the same or better performance as a 2080 super for less. Although the consoles will (always?) still be a bit cheaper.

For me the advantage of using a console is that I can use it to play in the living room. Besides that my regular PC is on Linux, which isn’t the best solution for playing PC games, even though many work.

I might get a PS5 for the kids, but I'm probably never abandoning my PC, for all the reasons mentioned in the thread, but especially because many the type of games I like are made almost exclusively for PC's and M&K. If M&K becomes an actual alternative on consoles instead if a seldom used option and they start releasing Strategy titles somewhere down the line the option to switch would at least be real, now it certainly isn't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom