Anthem - Open Demo Available

I tried the demo last weekend, but faced server issues and infinite loading screens.
Yesterday, I finally got the chance to play, but was underwhelmed by the shooting mechanics, limited dialog choices, and constant and lengthy loading of new areas when least expected, even during missions. There appears to be no option to play the missions single player. And it's still fairly buggy for a game due in a couple of weeks. Considering the claimed size of the world (>Fallout4?), I doubt they'll fix all of the strobing lighting and texture bugs and vanishing enemies by release day.

Time to cancel my preorder. I'll let the rest of you beta test it at retail.
I don't hate the game; It's no Fallout 76. I'm open to purchasing it once the bugs are squashed if and only if there's more depth to the game than co-op shoot and loot; not likely though. I think it's obvious EA had Bioware water down any single-player RPG elements in favor of what will be a heavily monetized MMO shooter. Way to go, EA! :mad:

Last edited:
There appears to be no option to play the missions single player.

I missed it at first, but you have to change the server setting to private at the start of a mission.

Thing is, if you play solo you're completely alone. Bioware apparently wasn't interested in implementing AI squadmates, so there's no squad at all if you change the setting to private. I tried doing one of the missions like that but gave up after getting my ass handed to me a half-dozen times.

Does that mean the difficulty does not scale with the number of players at all, or just not enough to make single player viable?

Does that mean the difficulty does not scale with the number of players at all, or just not enough to make single player viable?

I've read that it scales, but the odds still seemed stacked against me considering it was only an early-game mission.

I missed it at first, but you have to change the server setting to private at the start of a mission.

Thing is, if you play solo you're completely alone. Bioware apparently wasn't interested in implementing AI squadmates, so there's no squad at all if you change the setting to private. I tried doing one of the missions like that but gave up after getting my ass handed to me a half-dozen times.

Did you try easy difficulty?

Yes, it's worked fine yesterday.

I tried again and was able to join.

Not sure why they call it freeplay when it's anything but. I just wanted to explore the map on my own, but I get a message that I'm leaving the mission area if I stray too far from the other players. I also don't understand why there's no option to try freeplay mode solo.

At least Destiny 2 (which was free for a bit) has a single-player campaign, which is enjoyable for the 15 or so hours it lasted. Looks like there is 0 single-player options here.

Played the new demo. I still really like it.

However, long-term potential is up in the air - even for a looter-shooter fan such as myself.

I didn't really pick up on this the first time, but it seems there's a distinct lack of dedicated end-game content. Now, it's been a while since I bothered to play this kind of game for a long time after the story ends - but I'm always keen to keep an open mind.

What really, really shines in Anthem - that might be a little subtle for people who're not as familiar with the nuances of this genre - is the moment-to-moment gameplay in terms of the distinction between Javelins.

That came as a surprise to me.

But I always go a little crazy and obsessive when I check out new games that I might potentially really like - and so I do some relatively exhaustive experimentation research into the finer points.

Essentially, I directly compared Anthem features to my favorite feature implementations in similar games.

I have a very long list of "best in genre" feature implementations that I look for in other games - and if a game takes enough of the good stuff and mixes it up with something fresh, then I'm almost certain to enjoy it for a good while.

For Anthem, each Javelin has a set of unique differences that aren't immediately apparent. For instance, they all have their own takes on how they fly, dodge and jump. At first, you don't really notice it - but it's the sort of thing I pay attention to, because it tells me how much effort the developers put into the key areas that make games work in the longer term.

In this case, it's very clear to me that some people on the design team REALLY cared about making 4 distinct classes with very distinct playstyles.

The Interceptor moves like a dream and fights like a dream - and fits my preferences perfectly.

This is contrasted with Destiny, Division, Borderlands and even Warframe (to a lesser extent).

Warframe does have very different classes (they call them…. warframes) - but they all move more or less the same in terms of basic controls. Sure, one or two can actually fly - but the basic jump/movement mechanics are identical across the board.

Destiny classes all feel much the same, to be honest. Sure, they have distinct powers - but in terms of movement and visceral gameplay - they're all but identical.

In Anthem, you can actually feel what you're doing and you can feel what class you're playing on an instinctual level - it's that well tuned.

Beyond that, it takes inspiration from the right places in the right ways - in a few other cases.

For instance, it takes from Diablo 3 when it comes to having multiple active powers that are a primary part of your arsenal. As in, they're not rare support skills like they tend to be in Destiny 2.

This means the actual shooting is more or less secondary - and the way you combine power-usage is a LOT more active than the games I mentioned. You're shooting off "cool stuff" left and right - and you're almost never waiting around for a cooldown.

This is significant and key for my enjoyment.

Beyond that, they also take the legendary "game changers" from Diablo 3. Meaning, Masterwork and Legendary items all have the potential to FUNDAMENTALLY change how your powers work and how you customize your setup.

Then they take inspiration from HGL, Borderlands and Destiny when it comes to the actual weapons.

There are multiple weapon categories with at least 3 variants of each - on the basic level. For instance, you have a sniper rifle that does major explosive damage (but only has very limited ammo) - and you have a sniper rifle that doubles as an assault rifle (depending on how you shoot with it). This is at the CORE level - meaning this is before any modifiers.

When you get Masterwork weapons - you can have yet another set of "game changer" modifiers on them. For instance, one weapon ignites enemies when you hit a few times in a row - which, in itself, is a primer for a later detonation.

So, you can combine both gear and weapons in ways that completely change your playstyle. Also, unlike Destiny - you can have Masterwork/Legendary game-changer items in every single slot, which makes for some potentially insane combinations.

But it's all about the potential for now. I don't know if they have enough items and modifiers - and I especially don't know if there's enough of the world to explore and repeat on harder difficulty levels.

This kind of game needs more than pure progression - and, at this point, it seems it might be lacking content. I doubt there's more than a few weeks or months at the most - after completing the main campaign.

So, it hinges on how fast they can deliver content and change it up in a live fasion.

I really hope the Youtubers-have-to-generate-subscription circle-jerk "gamer outrage" doesn't hit Anthem too hard, because I think Bioware really made an effort here.

At least Destiny 2 (which was free for a bit) has a single-player campaign, which is enjoyable for the 15 or so hours it lasted. Looks like there is 0 single-player options here.

What? Anthem has a 40 hour campaign that's entirely singleplayer if you want it to be. In fact, all the meat of the story is singleplayer only.

Singleplayer is 100% viable for all content on the lower difficulty levels.

It does scale up based on the amount of players, though.

That said, I don't know about future content. They're sure to include some kind of raid - and they're not likely to be doable in singleplayer regardless of difficulty.

It's plainly obvious that solo play was an afterthought.

At least they're very up-front about it though. The game even tells you that it was designed to be played with a squad.

Still, I'm a little surprised they didn't implement AI squadmates for private servers. My only guess is that they didn't want to spend the time and resources or couldn't because of their schedule.

This was one of the worst AAA demos I've ever tried. Huge load screens, uninteresting gameplay, and the worst UI and controls imaginable. The flying is a massive disaster and I'm not even sure how it's considered "playable", at least on mouse/keyboard which is all I care about.

I've posted my impressions of Anthem here. I do enjoy the game, but it does suffer in many areas. I'm not too keen on the UI, lack of any dedicated single player content, constant loading screens, and occasional bugs (which are very common among critics, apparently).

Javelins do feel quite distinct, and I greatly appreciate that. Loot seems varied well enough, and ground-to-flight movement is satisfying thanks to audio and visual feedback.

I will be looking more into Anthem, particularly because I've enjoyed it with friends. Without someone to play with, however, I wouldn't have a second glance.

Darth Tagnan said:
I really hope the Youtubers-have-to-generate-subscription circle-jerk "gamer outrage" doesn't hit Anthem too hard, because I think Bioware really made an effort here.

Indeed. This is what concerns me too. It's a prime (pun unintended) target for people who want something to be upset over, even if the "outraged" had no intention of ever playing it to begin with. Not only for the fact that it was developed by Bioware, which is off the heels of Andromeda's reputation, but for the simple knowledge that it's behind EA, too.

I think a lot of Youtubers are already preparing to fuel said outrage. Which is unfortunate, because rather than forming their own opinions, the Youtubers they are subscribed to are ready to provide one for them which ignores any positives and magnifies all the negatives.

Last edited:
I don't understand complaints about the UI or the controls. The controls are fine, and nothing about the UI stood out to me in a bad way.

The problem, for me, is that the gameplay is just as repetitive as any other looter shooter. I'm not a fan of the genre though, so I'm obviously not the intended target.

Also, what's with looter shooters having so little variety in the enemies?

I have to say though that the Frostbite 3 engine looks fantastic in this game. In fact, I'm a little baffled as to why it looks so much better than Mass Effect: Andromeda which, afaik, used the same version of the engine.

I have to say though that the Frostbite 3 engine looks fantastic in this game. In fact, I'm a little baffled as to why it looks so much better than Mass Effect: Andromeda which, afaik, used the same version of the engine.
Not surprised as this is the third game that BioWare made with the engine. Seems they took the lessons learned from the combat in Andromeda, and improved on it.

Also helps that most of BioWare's staff and budget was spent on this game. It's well documented on how Andromeda was gimped in favor of working on Anthem.

Here's to hoping the DA 4 team gets the resources it needs.:lonely:

I don't understand complaints about the UI or the controls. The controls are fine, and nothing about the UI stood out to me in a bad way.

I was content with the controls on both a gamepad and KB+M, moreso on the gamepad. I think the primary complaints of the control scheme stem from flying with KB+M. And I can understand where they're coming from. I think it's a bit wonky, too, but I personally think it's not impactful enough to affect my experience. It certainly took time to adjust, but after a while it became second nature.

The problem, for me, is that the gameplay is just as repetitive as any other looter shooter. I'm not a fan of the genre though, so I'm obviously not the intended target.

I enjoyed myself. Having said that, I also played with friends. I'm not sure I'd have as much fun by myself, and likely wouldn't have given it a second glance had I not been given a free VIP pass key.

Also, what's with looter shooters having so little variety in the enemies?

I think the demo showcased a decent bit of enemy design, but the problem is twofold: their designs are too similar to one another, and you often had to go out of your way to look for any differences in variation. During expeditions, there were a wealth of creatures roaming about the place, but you had to go looking for them. At times, I did find that soldiers of the X caliber looked oddly familiar to soldiers of the Y caliber, even if they were distinctly different visually. But I think that had more to do with their AI, in that their tactics never changed.

What I really like about Anthem is how colorful it is. Exploring the map of Tarsis (is that the name? I can't recall) is a wonderful experience, and I believe that Bioware's world design is spectacular here. It's gorgeous to come across land-forged bridges atop brisk valleys, and be able to traverse through them.

UPDATE: Interestingly, it seems that concerns regarding the UI are certainly not uncommon, and are likely to be addressed at some point in the future, according to Bioware's Ben Irving.

pX5GTuf.png

He also talks about future strongholds to expand the game's content, which will be free.

2dyHokK.png

Community outreach is important to them too, and they plan to host live streams that discuss the future of the game and provide development updates along the way.

0dZloOp.png

Last edited:
There are a number of reasons that Anthem looks much better than Andromeda, beyond the obvious difference in time of release.

These include:

Andromeda changed direction several times over the course of development.

It was made by their "second tier" team - and Anthem is made by the first tier team.

Most of all: They had to hire outside help to finish the game - and this specifically involved the worst parts of the visuals (facial animation and such).

With all that said, I still found Andromeda to be a fantastic open world experience - and a very bold vision all things considered. Certainly ten times more bold than ME2 and ME3.

But there's no denying certain parts of the visuals were lacking and I suspect it's a big part of why so many people found it so underwhelming. I guess that's what mattered most to a lot of them.

That said, the basic combat paradigm in Andromeda is almost identical to Anthem - only with less polish. It's a very solid foundation and combat was one of the best parts of Andromeda.

Is it a bad thing to write that I also enjoyed Mass Effect Andromeda? Maybe it had to do with waiting for a few patches, but I never had a problem & enjoyed my throughways.

Back
Top Bottom