How well funded do you prefer your games to be?

How well funded do you prefer your games to be?

• Mega Bucks AAA+

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Noticeably well funded

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Fairly well funded

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Limited

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Struggling

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cheap and cheerful

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
All other things equal I prefer my games to be as well funded as possible. It would be dishonest to say that production values don't matter, and they are highly dependent on funding. Hence I voted AAA.

To be completely honest I am not interested in playing many games that look and play like AAA games from years ago. That begin said I do check out the odd indie game but for the most part I stay with new and shinny.

I went with fairly well funded, which I take to mean a few million $ for allpractical purposes for US or European based developers. Like Pillars of Eternity, Torment, Wasteland 2, Bard's Tale IV. Anything beyond that is just going to make people contemplate moving away from a deep single player RPG experience and into more mainstream territory.

Underworld Ascendant could have used a bit more funding for my tastes (more than 1 million) but I understand they have additional sources.

Pillars of Eternity, Original Sin, WL2 - that's the level of funding I like. All 3 are literally the best games I have played in years.

Actually, I don't care should have been an option. I look for originality of presentation first and that could be accomplished with very little funds (AKA kickstarters Arakion & Bloom). But since I like some voice over and love a lush musical score that does need some bucks. However I have played games that have succeeded without either of those two.

Hence since I couldn't select "don't care", I selected the middle one "fairly well funded."

i picked struggling... the reason being i think struggling companies make the best games. but really, struggling companies that have really good kickstarters, like larian, etc, and suddenly become the best thing around. so, technically, fairly well funded to noticeably well funded games from struggling companies was what i was thinking.

this is actually totally different from the same funding from a AAA company that is already doing well peddling garbage.

AAA+ funds goes mainly for promotion stuff, so i guess there is a little difference between them and those fairly well funded for example. Those with less money for advertising have to try to make something different enough for it to be recognise. And that is mighty good. You cant buy love for a game, check bethesda games with fan patch plans before the launch.

Back
Top Bottom