RPGWatch Feature - Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness Interview

I'd like to a see a reasonable diversity of locations and coherent gameplay scenarios. A few animations on a small new background wouldn't do much for me.

Interesting. Thank you both. This provides a little more insight for me regarding the project. I will be keeping a closer watch now after taking these possibilities into consideration.

I hope it turns out well, particularly for the backers. I believe they are at least entitled to some tidbits of information, whether through open communication via developer updates or videos.

I'd like to a see a reasonable diversity of locations and coherent gameplay scenarios. A few animations on a small new background wouldn't do much for me.

I wouldn’t be satisfied either and I wasn’t suggesting that. Minimally I’d like to see start to finish side quest type content - dialog, exploration & combat. Maybe some inventory and skill display. This to prove engine capabilities and show off some art assets. If they can do that it suggests the engine is at least in a state capable of supporting a full game. I doubt they are in a position to demonstrate the “greed” system.

Yes, the greed system would presumably be something that's apparent over a larger span of game. That wouldn't bother me.

Where it bothers me more fundamentally is in the idea that the player's greed has such an impact on the world. If it works as described, why wouldn't the player's actions be rendered insignificant in the mass market of everyone else's greedy/generous actions?

I want a free Beta version of the game that's feature complete and let's me play from start to finish. Then maybe I'll consider backing it.

You're a hard man to please, JDR.

To be honest Ripper I just want to see how far I can drive the gameworld into pandemonium being an outrageously selfish ass. Most RPG’s, even ones with consequences feel pretty static in the interactions. I want to see vendors attacking patrons just because I’ve never seen such a twisted outcome promised in a game before.

Sounds like fun. Let's hope something materializes. And if it's a mess, let's hope it's a glorious one.

I have eyes wide open. I was around for all the Fable promises. Worse case we get some kind of BG derivative with some uniqueness. Which I would likely pay for anyway.

I think the worst case could be a fair bit worse than that. But fingers crossed.

I guess to your point Diakatana implosion was very entertaining. But I’d rather have a game than ION Storm level drama

Nice interview, Farflame! Thanks! :)

Already over 42k now in 7 days. It looks like they'll easily exceed their goal.

I'm getting closer to backing this. At 16 euros for the Early Bird tier, there's not much to lose.

I did the 19 euros. I wasn't clear if 16 actually got you a copy of the game on release.

Nevermind it does. Not sure what the extra 3 euros gets you but I did that one.

I did the 19 euros. I wasn't clear if 16 actually got you a copy of the game on release.

Nevermind it does. Not sure what the extra 3 euros gets you but I did that one.

The 16 euros tier is limited edition to encourage early adopters. There's no difference between it and the 19 level tier. After the 16 tier hits 3000 backers it won't be available anymore.

7500 to go. Hard to believe considering they didn't even put up a meaningful update. So much for a gameplay video. But the campaign is a shoe in now

Wow, surprising how successful this turned out. I am impressed. They may make some of the good stretch goals even. The €75k level of a new race who are "masters of illusion" sounds very cool to me. As does the final stretch goal of €100k, where another wizard-like magic user class is available, along with a new wilderness region.

And maybe the greed system will be better than expected, as they said in the kickstarter video they are looking for a lot of player feedback on it, to presumably tweak it. This is a very good sign on their part. I imagine most of the backers of this will be hardcore old school rpg players, and they will likely (as a group) have a good understanding of what makes rpgs special.

Yep, the campaign will be successfull. Still disappointed how little they've shown so far.
Hopefully they're leaving the highlights for the final days. (Which imho wouldn't be a clever strategy.)

Next time you see an Infinity Engine clone with very little content, don't back it, because it will be me, trying my luck. :p Don't tell anyone.

Back
Top Bottom