Battlestations: Post your gaming setup

Then you are likely not viewing hdr enabled content or your tv is configured incorrectly. HDR is night and day obvious. I have an LG oled tv and a few 4k movies (i pick the ones rated very high for 4k quality). The HDR impact is spectacular (try watching the Martian with a quality hdr configuration). Anyway for my tv there is a setting that will mostly disable hdr and I presume that is true in your case. Some streaming will enable hdr (youtube I htink) but it is not automagic - i forget which streaming services have which requirements for hdr content as I do not watch a lot of streamed content. In fact I only use the tv a few times a year…. tv just really isn't my thing.

No, I'm 100% sure HDR is enabled correctly - as it took ages to configure it and I made all sorts of mistakes in the beginning. That said, I'm not 100% sure the shows I've watched are actually HDR - that's just what it said on Netflix (like the new Marvel shows) - and I haven't watched the HDR shows in non-HDR, so it's kinda hard to tell the difference.

However, I've played Horizon Zero Dawn in both HDR and non-HDR - and, as I said, I can't really tell a big difference when it comes to brightness/colors. I'm not even sure what it's supposed to look like, but it didn't register with me as significant in any way.

For HDR to be noticeable it also has a lot to do with what kind of brightness (nits) the HDR can produce.

Just like HD once was a very "hype" term that everyone who made flat screen TV's wanted to use (no matter resolution) "HDR" is used in a similar way unfortunately. I've even seen monitors that are HDR, but when you read about them its some kind of software HDR (so not true HDR built into the hardware!).

Which TV do you have? The LG one that i have isn't overly bright either, but it's decent enough to spot the differences.

For HDR to be noticeable it also has a lot to do with what kind of brightness (nits) the HDR can produce.

Just like HD once was a very "hype" term that everyone who made flat screen TV's wanted to use (no matter resolution) "HDR" is used in a similar way unfortunately. I've even seen monitors that are HDR, but when you read about them its some kind of software HDR (so not true HDR built into the hardware!).

Which TV do you have? The LG one that i have isn't overly bright either, but it's decent enough to spot the differences.

It's a Samsung UHD 4K Smart TV. Can't remember exactly what it's called though, but it's sort of a middle-range one that got great reviews.

I believe I paid something like 8000 DKK. for it.

2005:
battle2005.jpg

Kind of like the longer hair, Kordanor. Reminds me of Geddy Lee:
geddy_lee.jpg

"I will choose free will."

I agree with Vurt about HDR - it's a buzz term they're sticking on everything, without it needing to deliver a strict standard. For TVs, the standard to look for is "UHD Premium Certified". To get that, they must have the proper brightness, contrast and colour gamut for true HDR. The ones I've looked at were pretty striking.

RAIDER!!! OMG Kordanor, how COULD you!? You seemed so nice before! :devil:

Haha, well, these were just "in" in Germany or at least in my area. And with "these" I don't actually mean Raiders, I mean their logo on stuff. I only knew (up until now when I looked it up) that it's some US Sports team. Could have been baseball. ^^

They got a cool logo though ;)

The Raiders are also the arch-nemesis of the Kansas City Chiefs. I count 1991 as our best year ever. We didn't win a superbowl but we beat the Raiders THREE TIMES in one season! It was glorious. Who needs a trophy when you've dispatched evil so thoroughly?

Back then it was more of a brand than a team. Same with the LA Kings.
<ahem> The Kings left Kansas City for LA when I was a kid. LA also did knowingly and willingly host the Raiders for several years. Your just digging a deeper hole! ;)

The Raiders are also the arch-nemesis of the Kansas City Chiefs. I count 1991 as our best year ever. We didn't win a superbowl but we beat the Raiders THREE TIMES in one season! It was glorious. Who needs a trophy when you've dispatched evil so thoroughly?

<ahem> The Kings left Kansas City for LA when I was a kid. LA also did knowingly and willingly host the Raiders for several years. Your just digging a deeper hole! ;)

What hole? I'm telling you why people wore that clothing during that time. Nobody cared about the actual team. Everyone just wanted Starter brand clothing with Raiders or Kings logos on them during the Jackson/Gretzky era because it was "gansta".

Back
Top Bottom