Wasteland 2 - Enemy Movement Bug

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
InXile Entertainment posted a tweet about the enemy movement bug, and that it will fixed in the next patch that gets released. Here is the question, and their answer.

rangerkeenan Any news on when the enemy movement bug might be fixed? It's unfortunately making me hold off from buying the game!

StigAlder yeah, that one sucks. It's already fixed in code so it will be in the next update. Targeting end of next week.
More information.

I guess (but just guess) that it might be that one:
"The worst of them all is the AI movement cheat! From time to times their movement is just OBSCENE! They can get face-to-face with you froim whatever distance, sometimes walking what would be 3 or 4 turns in a roll! It also is ninja quick and they are much more faster and gain much more turns than most of your characters!"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/240760/discussions/0/613937306583928337/?insideModal=1

I guess (but just guess) that it might be that one:
"The worst of them all is the AI movement cheat! From time to times their movement is just OBSCENE! They can get face-to-face with you froim whatever distance, sometimes walking what would be 3 or 4 turns in a roll! It also is ninja quick and they are much more faster and gain much more turns than most of your characters!"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/240760/discussions/0/613937306583928337/?insideModal=1
Yes thats the one.;)

It's a well know bug that affected my game after the first patch.

What's your opinion couch about a couple of the other problems mentioned in the linked post? No penalty for shooting long range weapons at close range and no option to start the turn mode before the enemy sees you?

What's your opinion couch about a couple of the other problems mentioned in the linked post? No penalty for shooting long range weapons at close range and no option to start the turn mode before the enemy sees you?
There is a penalty to shooting really close targets with rifles and snipers.
Starting turn based before initiative would lead to abuse and make the game trivial.

There is a penalty to shooting really close targets with rifles and snipers.
Starting turn based before initiative would lead to abuse and make the game trivial.

You can get a shot of with a long range weapon (which will then initiate combat in most cases). So that's more or less your "surprise round" in Wasteland 2.

I wondered about the insane movement distances by enemies, now I see it's a bug. They also always seem to bypass my melee characters to stop between my sniper and assault rifle guys (thus invoking the penalty for being adjacent to a enemy).

Last edited:
You can get a shot of with a long range weapon (which will then initiate combat in most cases). So that's more or less your "surprise round" in Wasteland 2.

I wondered about the insane movement distances by enemies, now I see it's a bug. They also always seem to bypass my melee characters to stop between my sniper and assault rifle guys (thus invoking the penalty for being adjacent to a enemy).

And that is the smart thing to do. If rabbits and other stupid creatures do it, then it is not good.

And that is the smart thing to do.
It's a smart thing to do only if your enemies don't get into this position due to movement bug.

Well there are worse bugs; I finished last night and california has a lot of quest bugs (esp hollywood). The run up thing bothered me a little but i played on normal and 'cept for the next to last fight I cant say the game was overly difficult with regards to combat. My biggest complaint was that combat was *mostly* one dimensional and a bit mundane - definitly prefer more complex rpgs where there are different tactics to be applied for different types of fights. Hum. Small chance I will play again after a few patches but it is not high on my list - it definitely needs 2 or 3 more patches to fix the quests bugs, improve ai, and maybe add some variety in combat.

What I find insane is how some human enemies will run from target to target during their turn, wasting AP to attack different units instead of finishing one off. Although if they have infinite movement this makes more sense.

Hmm, glad I held off on playing this game yet. Working on my 2nd play through of Dragonfall DC and then I might return to D:OS.

It might only turn into a bug as players scream.

Charging is common in this kind of games.
Lately, Dead State used the same trick to make up for the lack of strategical decision.
It helps reducing kiting, which is conveniently easy in "ugoigo" games, even though some games give out the enemy APs which prevents from using that trick.

In WL2, it was probably intended to force the player to relocate and move around the map, instead of camping, lining shot after shot.

Enemies charge you because assault rifle users and sniper users cannot shoot at those standing next to them and they get a serious penalty on to hit against anyone. And people also like to set them up into crouch to get to hit bonus. So now to move away from enemy they need to spend at least 3AP (2 to get up and 1 to move away) which usually means you cannot fire anymore (at least with snipers).
So AI will on occasion choose to give up its attack this round to run up to melee so it gives a big penalty to your strongest ranged team members.

Enemies charge.
They charge people with pistols, SMGs or melee combat weapons.
It is another tactics miracle works brought by the "ugoigo" sequence.

Couldn't agree more Chien. That's stupid and that's why RTwP is superior despite the often repeated arguments of the "old schoolers".

If you have a high awareness character, you'll almost always initiate combat under your terms. You'll notice the enemy long before they notice you, allowing you to set up the field of battle; although most of the time it really doesn't matter. If I can do it, I'll alway put my sniper up high and block access to him with a shotgun/melee character that is set on ambush. The sniper starts combat and then the enemy target him and he's unreachable without walking through buckshot.

I hope they fix California before I get there :) W2 is an okay game. I prefer Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, but hey this isn't an AAA title. I suppose there is choice and consequence in this game, but it doesn't seem to affect how the game is played. For instance, you'll always have the same amount of food and water regardless of which decision you make at the beginning of the game. The only thing that changes are the flavor text chats as you walk around. I assume the end game slides change, but I've never cared about those.

I hope they fix California before I get there :) W2 is an okay game. I prefer Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, but hey this isn't an AAA title. I suppose there is choice and consequence in this game, but it doesn't seem to affect how the game is played. For instance, you'll always have the same amount of food and water regardless of which decision you make at the beginning of the game. The only thing that changes are the flavor text chats as you walk around. I assume the end game slides change, but I've never cared about those.
There does not pass enough time for lack of water or food to be noticed by your little group. I am sure Ranger Citadel does not have only 1 week supply of food/water.

Couldn't agree more Chien. That's stupid and that's why RTwP is superior despite the often repeated arguments of the "old schoolers".
WTF? How does his comment prove that RTwP is better lol?!

At best it proves that InXile are not that good at designing AI.
Oh and your champions of RTwP, Obsidian, made NWN2 if you forgot. That game AI was just terribad. Until modders fixed it for them (and later this fix was made official AI lol) using AI for your companions was like shooting yourself into the foot.

Back
Top Bottom