Tales of Maj'Eyal - Version 1.5.1 is out

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Tales of Maj'Eyal 1.5.1 has been released:

Tales of Maj'Eyal 1.5.1 "Forever and Some" is out!

My minions, I am happy and proud to give you Tales of Maj'Eyal 1.5.1 ! See http://te4.org/

Your launcher should automatically update your game so no need to redownload it all. If your launcher didn't self-update correctly, just redownload it from the homepage.

Enjoy and have fun in Eyal!

Don't forget to help ToME by with donations ( http://te4.org/donate ) !

• Reduce post-player TL scaling on Shadowstrike
  • Reduce post-player level scaling on Lethality
  • Reduce Blade Flurry cost
  • Reduce randart armor powers
  • Reduce range of Projection ego to 7
  • Fixed a bug where Volley and Called Shots took 2 turns
  • Fixed multiple shader effects on Intel & AMD GPUs
  • Spider-Silk Robe of Spydrë lore only pops when worn by the player
  • Fixed rare bug with crippling poison
  • Clarified Light Armour Training requirement, it is only for body slot
  • Fixed auto update of addons & DLCs in the non-steam version
  • Terrain's "damage_project" callback now receives source talent, if any
  • Pulverizing Auger (and all damage spells) now works for stabilizing wormholes in the Abashed Expanse
  • Fixed Chants and Hymns
  • Fixed cancelling Vault early
  • Full Control correctly recomputes speed for bodies with a base speed change (like midget swarms)
  • Full Control only grants speeds that are a benefit for you
  • Possess timed effect is now of type "other"
  • Fixed the Crystal Heart
  • Shimmering fully ignores randarts and rares
  • Possession correctly respects the number of types learnable
  • Various small rare fixes
Have fun in Eyal!
More information.

This is supposed to a fantastic roguelike, I've heard.

Yes, as far as RL's are concerned, it is quite good. Steam version can be picked up rather cheaply too these days.... You might still be able to get it free from the website (I've not checked for a while).

Maybe I'll try it at some point. Does anyone else get a Dwarf Fortress vibe off this?

The UI is light years ahead of DF… I mean you can play the whole game using a mouse ;)

Adventure mode in DF is all kind of aimless last time I tried it whereas ToME is far more traditional rpg/quest focused. And class/item abilities are slotted with timeouts, something I don't recall from DF.

I won 1.5.1 already with an Ogre Doombringer. :)

Going for my second win with Skeleton Archer now. The reworked Archer class is so good. I wouldn't expect to die if you go Archer.

One thing I really like about ToME is the option to Auto-explore, which auto collects then when you leave the map you can auto-sell everything to keep your weight limit down and the gameplay up. You can also right click spells on the action bar and set cast conditions such as "enemy sighted".

But I think what it does unquestionably better than any other rogue-like is the character building. In Dungeoncrawlstonesoup you might get 1 stat point to assign into str/dex/int every 3 levels, but tome you get 3 stat points, 1 combat talent point, 1 generic talent point, maybe a catagory point at level10, an epic feat at 30, etc. Along with permanent stat gains though the Alchemist Brotherhood potion quests and other stuff like eating the sandworm queens heart.

The free version is at https://te4.org/download

Yeah the character building is amazing in TOME. So many classes which play so differently and have so many different mechanics and ways to build them. It makes unlocking a brand new class very exciting.

TOME is a great roguelike, though it is extremely long. Often you die early so you may not notice or care about how long the game is as much, but if you have been playing for hours and hours it can be a bit tedious to die and have to repeat everything. This is especially a problem given that there isn't as much randomization so you will see a lot of the same things every playthrough.

But still if you have any interest in rougelikes this is absolutely one to try out.

Yes I will give a good tick to ToME... great rogue-like!

I wish there could be more procedurally generated content in more games... it really ramps up replayability. In saying that, ToME only procedurally generates the dungeons basically, not the main maps or quests, so I agree with fadedc on that comment, but the customisation and options (did I say options.... can I say options again! I LOVE options!!!), are awesome!
Recommend this game!!

What I like most about ToME is that it offers you a mode with lives.
Meaning your game isn't over once you die, as you start with 3 lives (and get 1 more every 10 level ups or so).

This brilliantly offsets those random things that usually happen in roguelikes that will just kill you, completely without your fault.
Sometimes, you make a mistake and you die, and then it is okay to lose, but - at least for me - more often than not something absurd happens (like some off-screen enemy one-hitting you, or a trap you couldn't have seen, etc.).
And losing to that just is not fun, nor does it teach you something.

This is a very nice coincidence as I just had my first look at the game over the weekend gone. Whilst I'm not a huge roguelike player generally, I found this immediately very fun and simply love how detailed the character system is. The first couple of hours with it simply flew right by without me noticing. I went with a dwarven Bulwark and hope to build a defensive tank to survive the games' crazy dungeons. I have to agree with posters on the concept of unlocking classes and modes too (Arena for example) - that was a nice touch. I've already failed a quest too which I appreciate - as it will certainly keep me on my toes!

At its essence, the closest experience it reminded me of believe it or not was playing the Temple of Apshai trilogy on the C64 years ago. :)

I've never played with the multiple life mode, for me that seems to defeat the purpose of a roguelike. But at this point it is hard to say whether the difficulty is intended for that style of play or something different. I will say that TOME is generally pretty fair, I've never been one shot by something off screen and sudden unexpected deaths are pretty rare. When I die it's almost always because I got into a bad situation that developed over many turns. Often I can see how I could have prevented it if I had been more careful. Which doesn't mean it's not still frustrating if hours of play are erased by a few careless mistakes.

This is supposed to a fantastic roguelike, I've heard.

There are better out there - Caves of Qud blows TOME out of the water. COGMIND, which is purely sci-fi, is in the running as well. Josh Ge's work in it is simply amazing, especially the inventory system he has implemented, pretty revolutionary, actually.

I've been toying with the idea of trying out Caves of Qud. There was an old review in RPS which made it sound like it needed quite a bit more polish before it was ready for prime time, but it is an old review. Some of the ideas do sound interesting and Steam reviews are very good.

Cogmind I don't know much about, I'll have to look into it.

I've got ToME in my Steam backlog and I played it a bit a few years ago but had to quit a few hours in due to frequent crashes. I think I'll give it another try, hopefully this newer version solves my problems.

I do remember it having an amazingly indepth class system.

Back
Top Bottom