Celestian Tales: Old North + Howl of the Ravager

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform
Celestian Tales: Old North is a turn-based Indonesian JRPG (pure turn-based, none of that ATB nonsense that forces you to rush in your decision). Rather than random encounters, wandering enemies appear in the areas and are usually avoidable as in Chrono Trigger. Character progression is predetermined although you have some customization options in the sense that a character can only have some of his/ her skills "equipped" at any given time.

The game is shorter, but much less grindy than most JRPGs I've played (seems Old North took ~12 hrs for one playthrough). In the beginning you choose which of the playable characters you're playing as, which determines whose backstory you learn about in prologue and epilogue, and some key choices you get to make. So there is some choice & consequence, although it seems most of the consequences won't be seen until future chapters (part two is planned to take place about a decade later).

I just completed Celestian Tales: Howl of the Ravager prequel DLC (PC).

Unlike the main game, Old North, Howl of the Ravager has only 3 playable characters so you don't have any choice over who is in your party. However, all the characters are fairly well developed and crucial to the story.

HotR me just under 6 hrs of total playtime (not counting some reloads) There's a bit too many mazes in HotR for me (never cared for that); if you like labyrinthine areas in your JRPGs you'll love it. Unfortunately areas with narrow passageways meant that I'd sometimes be stuck against the wall and forced to fight wandering enemy parties.

Wouldn't have thought one could grow attached to game characters in such a short game, but I did. The ending really tugged at the old heart strings. HotR made me want to play Old North again; as it's been awhile… Don't remember all the details as I've only completed it once so this will give me opportunity to choose a different player character.

The visuals / art style are nice; The backgrounds look like watercolor paintings. Decent music as well.

Overall, Celestian Tales is a very good indie JRPG. Story is a lot more mature and less full of cliches than your run of the mill JRPG. It's on sale at GOG right now and I think a pretty good deal at the current price (I backed the KS to get every installment of the game +DLCs).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom