God of War - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Action RPG God of War has been announced for PC and lists a release date of January 15th 2022 for Steam.

Enter the Norse realm
His vengeance against the Gods of Olympus years behind him, Kratos now lives as a man in the realm of Norse Gods and monsters. It is in this harsh, unforgiving world that he must fight to survive... and teach his son to do the same.

Grasp a second chance
Kratos is a father again. As mentor and protector to Atreus, a son determined to earn his respect, he is forced to deal with and control the rage that has long defined him while out in a very dangerous world with his son.

Journey to a dark, elemental world of fearsome creatures
From the marble and columns of ornate Olympus to the gritty forests, mountains and caves of pre-Viking Norse lore, this is a distinctly new realm with its own pantheon of creatures, monsters and gods.

Engage in visceral, physical combat
With an over the shoulder camera that brings the player closer to the action than ever before, fights in God of War(tm) mirror the pantheon of Norse creatures Kratos will face: grand, gritty and grueling. A new main weapon and new abilities retain the defining spirit of the God of War series while presenting a vision of conflict that forges new ground in the genre.

PC FEATURES

High Fidelity Graphics
Striking visuals enhanced on PC. Enjoy true 4K resolution, on supported devices, [MU1] with unlocked framerates for peak performance. Dial in your settings via a wide range of graphical presets and options including higher resolution shadows, improved screen space reflections, the addition of GTAO and SSDO, and much more.

NVIDIA(R) DLSS and Reflex Support
Quality meets performance. Harness the AI power of NVIDIA Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) to boost frame rates and generate beautiful, sharp images on select Nvidia GPUs. Utilize NVIDIA Reflex low latency technology allowing you to react quicker and hit harder combos with the responsive gameplay you crave on GeForce GPUs.

Controls Customization
Play your way. With support for the DUALSHOCK(R)4 and DUALSENSE(R) wireless controllers, a wide range of other gamepads, and fully customizable bindings for mouse and keyboard, you have the power to fine-tune every action to match your playstyle.

Ultra-wide Support
Immerse yourself like never before. Journey through the Norse realms taking in breathtaking vistas in panoramic widescreen. With 21:9 ultra-widescreen support, God of War(tm) presents a cinema quality experience that further expands the original seamless theatrical vision.
More information.

God of War is now an Action RPG? That's news to me.:lol:

Its a nice and competent piece of gaming experience, combat and story telling with a big (semi-open) world to unlock. However, I got bored of this type of game play with gated levels unlocking by bashing enemies - there is no freedom of choice of how to approach and tackle enemies or advance the game.

hack n slash basically.
Probably due to the fighting but I always considered them action games similar to the Devil May Cry games. Actually all I remember is button smashing and cut-scenes.

Probably due to the fighting but I always considered them action games similar to the Devil May Cry games. Actually all I remember is button smashing and cut-scenes.

I've never played them. I'm going by the Steam tag that lists RPG but if its not I'll edit the newspost.

I've never played them. I'm going by the Steam tag that lists RPG but if its not I'll edit the newspost.
Nah your correct.:)

After further reading it's the 2018 version not the original games. They did go the more RPG element/open world route in the newer versions. So that explains it I was wrong.

I was thinking of the original three games. This was the reboot with his son.

Huh...this is nice I suppose, though I've never felt this series looked particularly appealing to me.

I'd rather have seen the "Uncharted" series (starting with the first game in series), since I've had a hankering for something that feels a bit like classic Indiana Jones adventuring (which I have the impression that series do)

The God of War was pretty great. This coming from someone who didn't like the original series, as there was way too much button mashing.

The reboot redesigned combat significantly enough that I had no issues. And it was even fun. I aim to replay it on PC. Great that more and more PS exclusives get released on PC. Hopefully they'll finally get to Bloodborne, after releasing all other PS exclusives. :lol:

One weird thing is, is my memory failing me or did it look better on PS4? This could be since people were saying Ragnarok looks just like the original, but it doens't. It looks a lot better. So this is either a downgrade, which is hard to imagine, on PC, or the original GoW doesn't look as good as Ragnarok. I think that's more likely.

Anyway, I can't wait to play it on an ultrawide resolution on mouse & keyboard. :D

"Action RPG God of War".

Can it get more ridiculous? Taking bets.

Nothing against the news post, just the way everything gets the "RPG" descriptor these days because apparently it's cool.

This is as much of a RPG as FIFA or Battlefield. I mean, in those games you play the role of either a football manager, or a world war soldier, and I hear you get experience as you play and unlock new perks, weapons, and stuff. Definitely RPG.

It doesn't matter if it's the 2018 one, it's still a "beat'em up" game where you run around killing everything you find following a railroaded prescripted sequence of events where you make a grand total of zero choices, but I guess I'm too much of a "purist".

"Action RPG God of War".

Nothing against the news post, just the way they want to "RPG" everything because apparently it's cool.

This is as much of a RPG as FIFA or Battlefield. I mean, in those games I hear you get experience as you play and unlock new perks, weapons, and stuff. Must be a RPG too.

It doesn't matter if it's the 2018 one, it's still a "beat'em up" game where you run around killing everything you find, but I guess I'm too much of a "purist".

I hear you. I think other genre's want to expand into microtransactions and "rpg" lite mechanics are a way to do that. Not all games that adopt rpg mechanics are about that but I like to keep it in mind.

"Action RPG God of War".

Nothing against the news post, just the way they want to "RPG" everything because apparently it's cool.

This is as much of a RPG as FIFA or Battlefield. I mean, in those games I hear you get experience as you play and unlock new perks, weapons, and stuff. Must be a RPG too.

Well, if Diablo is an RPG then why not? :D

If all you need to be an RPG is some character building systems, then it is an rpg. Maybe a better wording would be, has rpg elements. But imo it all comes down to whether you allow Diablo as an rpg. Or maybe an even harder question, is Icewind Dale 1 an rpg? I can't remember 100% but I seem to remember it's pretty linear in the questing system. I don't remember dialogue decisions. You just run through dialogue trees, but you don't really make decision? Or am I remembering it wrong? So, if it is as I remember it, is it an rpg? If so, then why not Diablo or God of War? Just playing devil's advocate. :D

I feel there is a clear line between an "Action Adventure" game and an "RPG", but when I think about it, the line gets kinda blurred. And still I would never think of a God of War game as a RPG. That doesn't mean it's not a good game, but I don't see a point of calling a fish something that's not a fish.

Maybe the point is selling beef disguised as fish to people who think that eating fish is healthy.

Oh are we starting another what is an RPG debate again? :lol:

Seriously we never come to an consensus it's pointless. Maybe in the past we could but RPG elements have been incorporated into almost every damn genre nowadays.

So if a game on Steam has those elements it's labeled an RPG. I don't have to like it, you don't have to like it, but that's just how it is nowadays. RPG became a marketing tool.

Edit: I only played the original games and they are not RPGs. Though I watched videos, read interviews, and the the developer claimed the 2018 version was more of an RPG.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean it's not a good game, but I don't see a point of calling a fish something that's not a fish.
Well, the point is that you make the people that like fish to buy the not-fish.

I'm waiting for tailored ads for video games in social media where a game is advertised as genre X to the genre X users and as genre Y to the genre Y users. Most likely something like that already happens.

You advance your char and your options in that regard influence the future playstyle. If we count Dark Souls as Action RPGs, this is comparable.

Also, I also got fed up with it at some point. But before this happened, the game opened up, and it seemed the player had at least some choice as to where to go. Of corse, going anywhere entailed simply more spectacular fights.

Well, the point is that you make the people that like fish to buy the not-fish.

Examples being crab sticks (actually fish), shellfish (not a fish), or jellyfish (not a fish either). Neither did the barnacle goose spawn from the ocean no matter how many people did the inquisitors burn as witches who claimed otherwise. The motivation was, of course, to be able to eat meat during the Lent. RPG or not. It's a marketing term these days as people say here. Please, do not start that "what is an RPG" discussion again :lol: (especially do not comment about roles :roll:).

You advance your char and your options in that regard influence the future playstyle. If we count Dark Souls as Action RPGs, this is comparable.

Also, I also got fed up with it at some point. But before this happened, the game opened up, and it seemed the player had at least some choice as to where to go. Of corse, going anywhere entailed simply more spectacular fights.

Yeah, it becomes sort of a pseudo-open world game at a certain point. And the world is littered with various optional content. It's your usual metroidvania open world that a lot of games use, where you gradually unlock abilities that allow you the ability to unlock new areas and new puzzles. I really enjoy that game loop, and gradually clearing out everything.

And yeah, good point about Dark Souls. If that's considered an action RPG, so should God of War.

Without having played a lot of God of War, there are a number of crucial diferences between those games and Dark Souls games - in Dark Souls you can play an absurd number of custom, fine-tuned builds around different stats, weapons, spells and completely unrelated playstyles. You can also make different choices that lead to radically different paths, with different interactions and different ways to deal with situations - you can join or destroy factions as you see fit, and you can even decide whether the world is saved or goes down in flames as you traverse its landscapes and reach the ending.

Now I get that some people around here have a pet peeve with Dark Souls, but comparing it to a game like God of War is quite diminishing (kinda insulting, really), in the same way it is to compare Fallout or Bioshock to Call of Duty, and saying they are all "basically shooters".

Back
Top Bottom