Diablo 3 - Health Updates

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Health is the subject of the latest update at the Diablo III site, where they describe the health globes setup. Apparently potions will be "moderately rare", so health globes will be important:
That's where health globes -- floating, crimson spheres that rise from the corpses of your defeated foes -- come in. These globes are the core means of regenerating your health in Diablo III, and all other methods of healing support them. When you pick up a health globe, your health (and the health of any allies in your party) is restored by a fixed percentage depending on the type of globe you've grabbed.
More information.

These globes are the core means of regenerating your health in Diablo III

Health bubbles?!?!!
Is it going to be a somekind of platformer where you hear *blim* sound when you collect hearts.

190575-zelda_hearts_large.png

hm. I remember those from Lionheart! I wonder if they will …ah…'mana globes' too?

They actually tried that, but removed them last year; so it's just health globes, at this point. Their reasoning seems sound, once balanced: they want to create a feeling of tension and challenge, and not allow a player to run into a difficult battle with 300 health potions ready to spam, if things get tough. And since health globes effect nearby players, it will foster (in theory) a friendlier team experience. (shrug) We'll see if that pans out.

Live is life, nah naah nahnahnah

I have a bunch of questions but they have probably being answered somewhere . . .

how will boss fights work? will the boss drop these globes periodically or will they have a constant stream of globe fodder to keep you alive?

and what about when you die. do you no longer drop a body? because if you got killed, now have no armour and no means to heal yourself, it's going to make it pretty difficult to get your body back.

the only thing i can think of is that they're stream lining the game too much / going to make it far easier than previous versions of the series because how can they justify placing the player against monsters stronger than them if the player can't heal themselves.

They also had health globes in the LotR action games.

Sounds like a good design change to me. I think for TQ and Diablo 2, they relied too much on boss battles that could only be won by guzzling potions. That tactic seems like a kludge for compensating for poor balancing.

I have a bunch of questions but they have probably being answered somewhere . . .

how will boss fights work? will the boss drop these globes periodically or will they have a constant stream of globe fodder to keep you alive?

and what about when you die. do you no longer drop a body? because if you got killed, now have no armour and no means to heal yourself, it's going to make it pretty difficult to get your body back.

the only thing i can think of is that they're stream lining the game too much / going to make it far easier than previous versions of the series because how can they justify placing the player against monsters stronger than them if the player can't heal themselves.

1) Yes, some will drop in boss fights, but they also said that they were going to mix it up, from one fight to the next, and offer the player unique ways of healing, so the game doesn't get stale.
2) When you die, you pop back to the last waypoint, which are promised to be plentiful.
2.5) Remember, you still have healing potions, they are just more rare, and have a cool down.
3) I'm sure they won't let that happen; SC2 renewed my hopes for a polished D3

You can find or purchase healing potions, but they are moderately rare and limited by a cooldown: multiple potions can't be used in rapid succession in the middle of a fight.

Damn you WoW !!!!1

Why am I feeling this animosity towards Johnny Depp all of a sudden?

I mean, he was pretty good in that pirate flick! ;)

I'm currently trying to make it up in my mind ... Okay, deropping loot sounds hlfway "realistic", but dropping some kinds of orbs which are fille with a dead enemy's lif-essence is just complete nonsense to me.

This would mean that within this universe every living being consists of nothing but ... Orbs.
Orbs with maybe some kind of body around it.

Of course this is rather an extreme take on it, but I just can't place an popping-uopp orbs of fallen enemies into any fantasy world i know of. It's just ... too weird for my taste, in terms of "gameworld simulation".

If someone is dead within this world, will strangers know where that person is buried by floating orbs above his or her grave ?
And what if someone snatches up a floating orb of a buried relative ?

Back
Top Bottom