Skyrim Skyrim and Morrowind

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Wow. I'm truly surprised to hear you speak that highly of Skyrim, Dart! Glad youre having fun w/ it ='.'=

Thanks ;)

It's all down to personal preferences, I suppose. It just hits all the right notes for me.

I'm primarily an explorer and a game mechanics guy - and in that way, the game is just absolutely superb compared to their past efforts. Fallout 3 was similarly strong in some ways, but I'm not a fan of the post-apoc setting and I don't think they handled balance very well.

Beyond that, it's just beautifully realised compared to what they did in the past. Finally, it doesn't have a single major weak point as far as I'm concerned. Lots of little annoyances - but unlike ALL their past games, it holds together with bravado. At least, that's what I think.

Morrowind had its good points (the lore and the setting for those into weird stuff) - but it had certain abysmal elements I couldn't get past - like the combat system and the incredibly stilted and dull NPCs.

As much as I believe in subjectivity - I can't quite wrap my head around why anyone would consider Morrowind superior. It just goes to show how different we each respond to various stimuli ;)

Not really sure where you're getting your mods from, but I normally don't get those kinds of problems. Sure, once in a blue moon someone will have taken their mod off, but I can always find the "must haves"

Here's a huge list of mods
that I check whenever I'm wanting to refresh my memory on what kind of mods are out there and what were the better ones. Most of the links still work though some send you to a site that makes you login.

Overall I haven't found too many that totally disappeared or at least mods that I was interested in haven't disappeared. I try to stick to Planet Elder Scrolls and Nexus to get them since it is one huge storage shed for all these mods and it makes searching for them easy. :)

Yeah, those are the sites I mainly use, and normally I can find something that does what I want on one of them. The problem I've found is with lists of mods. OK, most of them generally aren't things I'd use, but it still seems like a good chunk of the mods listed don't exist anymore. One of the Oblivion revisted articles that showed up within the last year mentioned quite a few that had already gone extinct. That's one reason I've started saving backup copies of the mods I like.

Morrowind had its good points (the lore and the setting for those into weird stuff) - but it had certain abysmal elements I couldn't get past - like the combat system and the incredibly stilted and dull NPCs.

As much as I believe in subjectivity - I can't quite wrap my head around why anyone would consider Morrowind superior. It just goes to show how different we each respond to various stimuli ;)

Why do you need to bash some other game to praise Skyrim? Here you are for the first time since Deus Ex actually saying positive things about a game and then you have to throw in an insult to everyone who loves/loved Morrowind.

Who cares which one is superior? I don't remember reading anyone saying Morrowind was better and I sure as hell didn't start this thread with a fracken comparison in mind.

Seriously, why tear down one to elevate another? I hate that kind of thinking. Nothing can just be enjoyable for what it is. People have to tear it down to praise something else. I say bullshit to that. Morrowind is great. Skyrim is great, period.

@Menigal I know exactly what article you are talking about probably. The freakin links wouldn't work. All the links didn't work. Just avoid those types of articles and you'll be fine :)

Why do you need to bash some other game to praise Skyrim? Here you are for the first time since Deus Ex actually saying positive things about a game and then you have to throw in an insult to everyone who loves/loved Morrowind.

Who cares which one is superior? I don't remember reading anyone saying Morrowind was better and I sure as hell didn't start this thread with a fracken comparison in mind.

Seriously, why tear down one to elevate another? I hate that kind of thinking. Nothing can just be enjoyable for what it is. People have to tear it down to praise something else. I say bullshit to that. Morrowind is great. Skyrim is great, period.

Your thread is called "Skyrim and Morrowind" - and I'm responding to your question, and giving my reasons for not wanting to play Morrowind.

If you insist on taking my dislike of Morrowind as a personal insult, then go right ahead.

It was not my intention, however.

Nevermind.

Edit: Don't mind me. Tired. Got 3 hours of sleep last night because of…..Skyrim and just got back from the doctors and now debating taking a nap or playing more Skyrim. There's not enough time in the day.

Sorry about the outburst. I just really like Morrowind :p

Last edited:
I am considering a Morrowind replay soonish. It depends on whether or not I have time to squeeze in a MW replay before the release of SW: TOR.

I think Skyrim is a better game than Morrowind, but Morrowind might be the better experience. There is just something about the flavor of that world, the lore presented and the general mood of it all (relaxing, yet full of dread) that hits me right where I live. I am sure there is some nostalgia goggles going on there as well.

Nevermind.

Edit: Don't mind me. Tired. Got 3 hours of sleep last night because of…..Skyrim and just got back from the doctors and now debating taking a nap or playing more Skyrim. There's not enough time in the day.

Sorry about the outburst. I just really like Morrowind :p

No worries.

I like SOME of it too, and the music especially. Happy now? ;)

Morrowind has the following advantages:
- Better guilds, especially the Houses.
- More handplaced loot.
- More unique world.
- Spellcrafting.

Whether it's a better game depends on preferences, obviously.

Morrowind has something none of its successors had: PLACEABLE LIGHT SOURCES. So important to interior (and exterior) decoration.

So true. One day I'll fire up Morrowind again to screenshot my collection of light sources. Sometimes, it's the little things. :)
Ahhh ... candles lined the roof of my Manor ... jogging uphill after a mission and seeing those lights in the dark, now that's something I really miss.

All this talk about Morrowind made me hunt down my GotY edition. I tried to play it a couple of years ago but the graphics were so bad compared to my great memories of the game I quit fast.

I heard a lot of great things about the Morrowind Overhaul Mod so I reinstalled the game with that mod added and was totally blown away… the graphics, the lighting, the faces, which are now better than Oblivion's, just the overall detail they added is amazing, Vivic now looked like I remembered it, not how it really was in the original game lol.
The whole strange mystic feel of the place has gotten even better.

Took a little while to install everything but there is so much improvement I can see why, the mod comes with a You Tube instruction video that makes it a lot easier to install.
Anyone like myself who loved Morrowind owes it to themselves to replay it with this excellent compilation mod.

I couldnt believe the difference w/ the better bodies/better faces/better clothes mods, it looks 100% better and solves the issues w/ bodies clipping thru clothes and all that.

The light sources are good fun indeed, and practical. I always keep some candles on me, theyre good for marking something I want to come back and explore or anything really. Especially w/ the blightstorm, sometimes a lone candle was my only marker back!

The mods did an absolutely wonderful job updating Morrowind and still are. The Morrowind Overhaul Mod is beautiful. It's great in 3D too :)

Here's a youtube video of it.

I'm also keeping my eye on Tamriel Rebuilt. I'm still hoping one day that they will finish it though that day is a loooonnnngggg ways away.

@Sammy & Jaz +1 for light sources as well. The closest thing Skyrim has to that is the magelight spell, but those light sources disappear.

I would also love to have more spells. The ones I do have are fine, but I miss the variety. Hopefully some mods or even official DLC/expansions will expand the spell list.

I was watching Tamriel Rebuilt for years, but got distracted by so many other unplayed games. I'd like to go back and try out what they've done to date.

Yeah, a replay with MGSO is somewhere in my future too, great mod collection.

As for the Morrowind vs Skyrim thing. Well, I believe that Morrowind is a better RPG overall but the carefully crafted and lively detailed world and atmosphere of Skyrim would probably have made it a better game if they tried a bit more to rectify some of the known (bad combat, scaling, loose rpg mechanics, writing) issues of the series. Still a very noticeable improvement on that, what was its name, game between M and S (already forgetting that unfortunate interlude :) ).

That said the jury is still out on that one. It will probably take me months to finish it at this rate and I am still having lots of fun exploring the world (looking at it as a sightseeing simulator :) ). And the game can only get better (and even more atmospheric and realistic!) with mods (and I do have an incentive to replay it this time with the world being so much fun and the core gameplay/questing acceptably improved over that other game)

Back
Top Bottom