|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Element: Space - Announced

Default Element: Space - Announced

July 12th, 2018, 16:01
Originally Posted by you View Post
I would give this a pass (the fact that they high-lighted this aspect not the game). They are a small group and probably feel quite a bit of pride in what they accomplished in an area not known for game developers.
And most likely they rightfully can be proud! But I don't think that it's of interest for the average consument. Everyone who's interested in global situation of game development would lokk it up anyways.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: -

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

July 12th, 2018, 16:03
Originally Posted by you View Post
the reason I called out the play time is because in the description they describe it as:
"… refining turn-based tactical combat on hand-crafted levels while delivering a big story that changes and evolves with your actions.
--
While it might be a fantastic deep story that under goes many twists and turns as it evolves it can't be too big and deep with limited time
-
Now his usage of adverbs might be misdirected as English is not his native language. Perhaps he meant big as in awe-inspiring and thought provoking quickly told as the clock twirls.

or
perhaps i took his comments too seriously and we have no clue (good or bad) what this game will deliver.
I guess we'll see. I'm not particularly interested at this point, but I think it looks good and I love sci-fi.

Most long CRPGs have a lot of filler or superfluous story bits - which, to me, isn't necessarily better than a short, well-told story.

In fact, some of my favorite games in terms of story are right around this amount of playtime - including Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us. Both games have a lot of combat taking up tons of playtime.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

July 12th, 2018, 16:06
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
And most likely they rightfully can be proud! But I don't think that it's of interest for the average consument. Everyone who's interested in global situation of game development would lokk it up anyways.
Well, I actually appreciate knowing where the developers come from, as some areas can have a very strong cultural influence on game design.

Japan being perhaps the most obvious example. I've learned to be very sceptical of certain asian games, because they have a very, very different culture in terms of what's fun or meaningful when it comes to gameplay.

That said, I've enjoyed many games with an asian origin. But it's still relevant.

Also, smaller countries tend to have smaller industries - meaning they tend to have smaller budgets.

I think it's quite relevant.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

July 12th, 2018, 16:08
It seems a bit short for my liking, I'll more than likely wait and see if a friend or two gives it a whirl first.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

July 12th, 2018, 18:21
I've been waiting an iso rpg on the space for I don't know how long

please be good

CRD

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

July 12th, 2018, 18:27
I'm very interested in the game style, but not so much by the play time estimate. Still, I'll follow it and see how it turns out. The graphics look to be hand painted; more like Shadowrun than PoE. Still, the brief facial shots they showed look pretty good.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

July 12th, 2018, 18:50
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
FarFalme simple answer yes the members are getting older.
I don't anyone who isn't getting older, except those who are already dead.
And I really don't care at all if this game is made in Latin America, Jamaica or Atlantis. It's irrelevant for the game itself. I wonder why something like this needs explicitly to be stated in a press release.
Since very few computer games are coming out of Latin America, I assume they want to brag about being a new player in a small market, just like every time a game comes out in South Africa or Asia, or wherever.

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

July 12th, 2018, 18:53
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
I don't anyone who isn't getting older, except those who are already dead.
I'll refer you to the grumpy & mean forum thread.

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39443
--
"One Vision. One Purpose. Peace Through Power."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

July 12th, 2018, 21:16
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
Japan being perhaps the most obvious example. I've learned to be very sceptical of certain asian games, because they have a very, very different culture in terms of what's fun or meaningful when it comes to gameplay.

That said, I've enjoyed many games with an asian origin. But it's still relevant.
Fair point.
But still the relevant information for me would be that the game (setting) has a specific cultural touch, not that where it has been developed.
--
- George Bernard Shaw

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 12th, 2018, 21:25
Fair point.
But still the relevant information for me would be that the game (setting) has a specific cultural touch, not that where it has been developed.
Fair enough, but that can be pretty hard to establish

Sometimes, I don't think the developers realise that they're influenced by their own culture in a very specific way.

But I understand why you have a problem with it and I empathise with that position - I just don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

July 12th, 2018, 23:46
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
But I understand why you have a problem with it and I empathise with that position - I just don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.
Na, it's just a little nitpicking and it won't influence my buying decision.
--
- George Bernard Shaw

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 13th, 2018, 06:38
I have a bias in favor of Eastern European and German developers. They seem to make games I like more often. *shrug*

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

July 13th, 2018, 09:59
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
I have a bias in favor of Eastern European and German developers. They seem to make games I like more often. *shrug*
I'm with you there at least when it comes to RPGs. Outside of Bethesda, I really can't think of any (current) American developers that I'm still a fan of.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
+1:

July 13th, 2018, 10:08
I'm interested for sure, just the fact that it's isometric and Sci-Fi is enough to warrant that. Turn based and with a party? Sold. Unless it's crap of course, but I can name quite a few games that are considered "bad" that I highly enjoyed because of an interesting setting or good mechanics.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

July 14th, 2018, 02:42
Sounds pretty good to me. And honestly I don't why some of you people are so obsessed with lengthy games. Very rare that very long game can hold my interest until the end, and I'd rather be left wanting more than slogging through another trash mob and hoping I'm almost at the end. Also quality over quantity.
--
Currently Playing: Heroine's Quest, Quest For Infamy, Planescape: Torment

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Element: Space - Announced