Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Tactical RPG

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • Open World

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters
I'd choose dungeon-crawler. I love that sub-genre. Just give me some huge, sprawling dungeons to explore with lots of loot and character progression and I'm a happy guy. :)

Maybe King's Bounty? Actually I think Legends of Eisenwald would fit the bill quite well.

Those are tactical RPGs in my mind. To me a strategy RPG would have to deal with global resources, diplomacy, economy, things like that. I would almost feel like Crusader Kings 2 would be a strategy RPG where you play a dynasty.

I'd say ARPG but not Diablo or Diablo type games such as grim dawn, path of exile, etc. can't stand those.

I'm talking about games like dark souls, gothic's, dragons dogma, the Witcher, etc.

the categories i usually use are:

It's a wee bit easier with examples rather than categories which can be misinterpreted.

and as to roguelike, i really don't know what that means, and i grew up playing rogue. wikipedia says it means 1) dungeon crawl through 2) procedurally generated levls; 3) turn based gameplay; 4) tile-based graphics; and 5) perma-death. if that is what rogue-like i don't play any games with all those elements.

1) pause-sqaud (Pillars of Eternity; Baldur's Gate;Dragon Age)
2) turn-based (X-Com; Shadowrun;Wasteland 2)
3) fps (Skyrim; Fallout 3; the Witcher)
4) action (Grim Dawn; Diablo; Torchlight)
5) party crawl (Grimrock II, etc.)

i like turn-based combat the best. i like first-person sword/gun/play style also. i can also deal with pause-squad if that is the only option on which to play some pretty good games, i will deal with it.

Those are tactical RPGs in my mind. To me a strategy RPG would have to deal with global resources, diplomacy, economy, things like that. I would almost feel like Crusader Kings 2 would be a strategy RPG where you play a dynasty.

I picked both of those because managing you're army and resources takes place on what I'd consider a strategic map. There is tactical combat though. Crusader Kings and Romance of the 3 Kingdoms are as you suggest global strategy games with rpg elements. Still, I've read the term SRPG used mostly in connection with the Heroes of Might and Magic, which is a tactical game with strategic and rpg elements. I think its used because that kind of game would be most often found in the strategy category in stores, rather than the rpg section. At least, that's how I've always understood it.

1) pause-sqaud (Pillars of Eternity; Baldur's Gate;Dragon Age)
2) turn-based (X-Com; Shadowrun;Wasteland 2)
3) fps (Skyrim; Fallout 3; the Witcher)
4) action (Grim Dawn; Diablo; Torchlight)
5) party crawl (Grimrock II, etc.)

I usually think of them along one axis as:

1) Party-based tactical combat (Baldur's Gate; Gold Box Games)
2) Blobber (Might & Magic; Grimlock)
3) Single character (Oblivion; Fallout 3)

Then on the other axis:

1) Primarily combat/action
2) Multiple solutions: combat, skills, interaction
3) Primarily adventure/non-combat

Turn-based vs. pause-based is only really significant to me in the party-based tactical combat venue.

I'm happy with all styles. IMO, whatever alchemy makes an rpg work, it's not simply in the game style. The exception for me is roguelikes. My idea of roleplaying isn't really compatible with starting over and over to that degree. Every other game game seems to be roguelike at the moment, and it's starting to bum me out.

Anything that is story driven tbh. I really appreciate a well written story with well made characters and a world to go with it if it's a fictional world/universe. More gameplay oriented games, such as roguelikes, dungeon crawlers and action rpg's can be great fun but I often find myself not completing these type of games due to losing interest too fast.

I think the most iconic Strategy RPG would be Jagged Alliance.

Where would older games such as the Ultimas fit in these categories?

Adventure RPG's have been a rising category - there was often a lot of comparison between the two genre's, even due to the original when Colossal Caves first had the "tolkienesque" features added to it.

I haven't voted because I'm not sure where my favourite games fit other than "Western" and "Traditional".

I would like to say story driven, if any existed, but then I'm not sure I've ever played an RPG that I felt were actually written well. Very few games would achieve more than trash status if they were converted into a more "serious" genre (film, novel, etc), which isn't a criticism as games and art are two separate things. So I voted for open world, so I can experience my own stories.

Traditional Action_Adventures and Open-World RPGs. I'm trying to get into JRPGs, tough.

Several tough choices to pick from, for me number one would have to be dungeon crawlers first. Those are the ones that got me into computer gaming, and they are the ones I enjoy the most, by far.

This poll is not applicable to me as the "categories" as they are defined here are not what makes me like a particular RPG.

What I tend to enjoy most are the following "ingredients": Choices & Consequences, writing, dialogues, story, and interesting NPC. Also setting, atmosphere and immersion are high on my appreciation list.

As long as these ingredients are well executed, I don't care whether the game is isometric turn-based/RTwP or 1st/3rd person real-time, open world or linear, etc.

The one type that I don't like at all are hack'n slashers and avoid them like the plague. I tend to have a dislike for combat systems that are real-time with an isometric view.

I tend to a like original settings and novel approaches to the RPG genre and can be forgiving if the execution is sub-optimal…to a certain extent of course :). What I no longer like are generic Tolkienesque fantasy settings as they are done to death and I can't stand D&D anymore.

Whatever "Age of Decadence" would best be categorized as. Choice & Consequence / Story-focused CRPG. Also really love HBS' Shadowrun games, particularly Dragonfall.

I tend to get bored with RPGs that have combat as the primary focus. I have a strong preference for tactical turn-based combat, but no matter how good it is, it gets monotonous to act out essentially the same battle for 1,000th time… Which is why I still haven't finished D:OS. It's not that I want an RPG with "no combat", but rather that I want most battles to be optional and do not want random (trash) encounters, endless respawns, or other filler crap.

Thus I generally dislike dungeon crawlers and tactical RPGs… Might pick up Iron Tower Studios upcoming crawler, but mainly to support the development of their space RPG.

Even thought there's a decent number of "old school" RPGs being made, there still aren't a lot of CRPGs being made that really appeal to me in the way that Fallout 1 & 2 did. I'm hoping Torment: ToN is something that I'll really like. Also very much looking forward to Expdeditions: Viking, Prisonscape, and a few others.

Open world is what I voted on but it can vary. My top favorite games are Baldurs Gate series, NWN series, Dragon Age Origins, Morrowind, and Skyrim.

In general I like the freedom to make my own character and play them how I want combined with good companions and some depth to the mechanics in regards to creating a character and improving them via some form of levels, skills, abilities, traits, perks, etc.

All of them!

Well... not the Rogue-likes unless I can cheat and copy off my save game file, which pretty much turns it into a tactical RPG.

I think the most iconic Strategy RPG would be Jagged Alliance.
I was thinking Dragon Commander.

(I missed this poll, apparently)

Put me down for some hybrid of open-world JRPG with strong ARPG elements. :)

Top down CRPGs. Give me Neverwinter Nights, give me Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, give me Torment and Pillars of Eternity and Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil.

Give, give, give. That's my sweet spot in gaming. (Oddly right now I'm immersed in a dungeon crawler, Stranger of Sword City which is just *doing* it for me.)

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Back
Top Bottom