|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BattleTech - Let's Play Pre-Release

Default BattleTech - Let's Play Pre-Release

April 8th, 2018, 09:20
ChristoperOdd played the first 66 minutes of Battletech.

loading…

Let's Play BattleTech [Pre-Release] Part 1 Gameplay! BattleTech is about a war fought by noble houses through the use of giant Mechs! This is the campaign mode! Thanks to Harebrained Schemes and GOG for early access! 👇🏻 MORE INFO DOWN BELOW 👇🏻

[…]

Thanks Pladio!
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

April 8th, 2018, 13:43
Couldn't help myself and have watched a lot of the streams available.
If you want to watch somebody who knows what he is doing I recommend Bombadil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwr0IjQleg&t=3649s

Of what I have seen this game indeed seems to have nailed it. Economy balancing might need some adjusting after release. Good players will likely swim in money at some point and newbs might go bankrupt after 2 months. You have to find a middleground somewhere. If it becomes to easy, there are always mods.

April 24th can not come fast enough!
Last edited by Darkheart; April 8th, 2018 at 15:21.

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

April 8th, 2018, 14:11
Originally Posted by Darkheart View Post
Couldn't help myself and have watched a lot of the streams available.
If you want to watch somebody who knows what he is doing I recommend Bombadil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwr0IjQleg&t=3649s

Of what I have seen this game indeed seems to have nailed it. Economy balancing might need some adjusting after release. Good players will likely swim in money at some point and newbs might go bankrupt after 2 months. You have to find a middleground somewhere. If it becomes to easy, there are always mods.

August 24th can not come fast enough!
*April 24th

Gwendo

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

April 8th, 2018, 14:13
Between this, Pillars 2, Pathfinder Kingmaker, WL3, BT4 I dunno how I am gonna find time to play all these games.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 8th, 2018, 14:50
Well WL3 and BT4 will probably arrive after you finish POE2/BT/PK

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

April 8th, 2018, 15:19
Bad Art Galore. If You can't color GUI just make it Ugly Stupid Black & White. Couldn't find anything to anchor my eye on this video during the quick skip-over.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

April 8th, 2018, 15:19
Originally Posted by Gwendo View Post
*April 24th
Yikes! Yes, I meant April. August would be torture!

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 8th, 2018, 17:36
Yeah, the obligatory patches should hit by around mid-May I think, that's when I'll be looking to delve into this one!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

April 8th, 2018, 18:06
Originally Posted by Darkheart View Post
Good players will likely swim in money at some point and newbs might go bankrupt after 2 months.
Sounds about right to me.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

April 8th, 2018, 19:11
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Yeah, the obligatory patches should hit by around mid-May I think, that's when I'll be looking to delve into this one!!
Nah, this has to be day one for me. Bugs or not! Judging from the streams (which feature a 99 % complete version) there are almost no bugs. At least I couldn't see any.

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 8th, 2018, 20:26
That is good to hear, these guys tend to release products in excellent shape, so that bodes well for early playing.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

April 9th, 2018, 00:21
I just wish they used some ragdoll physics for dead mechs and/or limbs to go flying off, bouncing down hills, etc. These animations are so delayed and stiff looking. They collapse onto invisible flat surfaces. It looks stupid to have a Blackjack melee with its gun barrels which would be useless if they got just a little bent. It's the game I'm most hyped for but it just looks like they've cut corners wherever possible. Whether they're being cheap or lazy or just plain untalented, who knows! How hard is it to put havok physics in your game?! Why does it seem so B grade production quality! Why do you start with a full lance of 4 and never get multiple lances? I was hoping to start with a single Jenner and work my way up to 8 or 12 mechs.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

April 9th, 2018, 00:39
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
I just wish they used some ragdoll physics for dead mechs and/or limbs to go flying off, bouncing down hills, etc. These animations are so delayed and stiff looking. They collapse onto invisible flat surfaces. It looks stupid to have a Blackjack melee with its gun barrels which would be useless if they got just a little bent. It's the game I'm most hyped for but it just looks like they've cut corners wherever possible. Whether they're being cheap or lazy or just plain untalented, who knows! How hard is it to put havok physics in your game?! Why does it seem so B grade production quality! Why do you start with a full lance of 4 and never get multiple lances? I was hoping to start with a single Jenner and work my way up to 8 or 12 mechs.
The graphics don't bother me as much although it would have been cooler with mechs visually falling apart. I do agree on the full lance though, going from 1-2 mechs to a dozen over the course of the game would have felt more rewarding.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

April 9th, 2018, 00:44
I agree that the animations aren't as crunchy and kinetic as they could be. Still looking pretty great to me. I have a lot of time for this studio.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

April 9th, 2018, 00:56
All things considered, at this point I think there is far more to be grateful for than to be concerned about.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

April 9th, 2018, 07:27
Yes, some better physics for mechs falling on steep ground would have been nice. Although, more importantly they seem to have gotten the systems right. This matters more to me.

Multiple lances likely would have made things more complicated. I prefer them getting combat with one lance right first and then in success…

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 9th, 2018, 08:00
Since I've never played the pen 'n paper game, could someone explain what a "lance" is? I assume it's terminology for the way they're grouped together.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

April 9th, 2018, 08:28
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Since I've never played the pen 'n paper game, could someone explain what a "lance" is? I assume it's terminology for the way they're grouped together.
A lance is composed of four mechs (usually anyway), and is the smallest mech unit.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Inner_Sphe…tary_Structure

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

April 9th, 2018, 13:44
After watching streams, the product showed no bugs.

Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Why do you start with a full lance of 4 and never get multiple lances? I was hoping to start with a single Jenner and work my way up to 8 or 12 mechs.
The combat resolution time is already lengthy with four mechs on the battlefield. 12 meant seeing 12 times the animation every time.

Starting with one mech only makes no sense storywise, introducing the story of a guy building up to a lance would have taken too much time and the SP campaign looks beefy enough.

That being noted, the salvage system and trading allows to collect up to 12 or 16 mechs in the mech bay after adequate upgrades. Plus NPCs also join the battle field at time.

Quite a lot of content for streamers.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

April 9th, 2018, 15:23
Graphics and animations don't look bad, but are very basic.

Dilvish

Watchdog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BattleTech - Let's Play Pre-Release