Nehrim questions

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Okay, I downloaded the mod and start off in a mine. I walk around for a few minutes and immediately find a letter that's not been translated into English. I have no idea if it's important or not. It has a name like Vershitten in mein liederhosen :) Not really. I'll edit my post with the real name in a bit, but this is a lousy sign for how well the game has been beta-tested. SureAI wants their game compared to full budget games and it just failed the first test.

If anybody knows what the contents of the letter are and can translate it into English, I'd appreciate it.

The note is titled-Verwitterte Notiz and reads: Nachdem sich die Augritte durch Magier aut diese mine immer mehr auhauten, haben wir diese Tranke aus Erothin erhalten.

Was auch immer sie genau bewirken, sie sind tur den Notfall bestimmt, und auch dann mit Bedacht ein zusetzen. Nein, sie sind nicht rauschwirken.

It's all greek to me!

Last edited:
Hm, I missed have missed that note because for me everything I have seen so far has been translated correctly. But as far as I'm concerned, the note is of no importance for the dungeon (which is, IMO, a far better dungeon then Bethesda could EVER make!).

I'm not German myself, but I ran it trough google translator, and this is what I got :p.

"After the magician by this Augritte aut auhauten mine more and more, we have received this potion from Erothin.

Whatever they do exactly, they are determined the structure of emergency, and then carefully add one. No, they are not rauschwirken."

I found that note to, and ignored it :)
Until now was the only thing not translated that i found.
As for the dungeon…
i just killed the black troll…
but till now was the best dungeon experience in a long time... i loved it, cant wait to get back home and continue

"After the attacks of the mages on this mine became more and more frequent, we have received these potions from Erothim. Whatever their exact purpose may be, they are only to be used in an emergency, and even then with utmost care. No, they are not intoxicating."

Let them know about the bug in the Nehrim forums, they are pretty good with patches.

Awesome dungeon, isn't it?. Let me know how your performance is outdoors, that was the only unfortunate problem with it for me so far.

Thanks for the great translation, GBG!

I'm still in the dungeon but I haven't been blown away by it. It's very linear, with no branching paths and very little to see or do. Maybe I'm not very far into it. I just had a cutscene with a troll and then knocked another troll unconscious and then had another cutscene. I've only faced 5 or 6 trolls in the whole dungeon and 3 of them were unkillable. To me, that's horrible dungeoneering. I might just be in a boring area though. Perhaps it'll get better. To be honest, I'm not very impressed at all yet. Also, it's supposed to be a mine and I've found some picks and other stuff but not a single place to mine for anything. Again, I could just be in the boring first sections though. I'm really hoping it picks up.

I will say that it feels like an abandoned mine and not like a game's dungeon. It feels realistic, but not fun.

Well linear it is, that would be my one complaint as well. For me it was just very tense experience - dark, long, no handholding. The lack of frequent combat actually worked in favor of it, IMHO. I really felt lost deep in the earth just wanting to get out. Shit, my torch went out, there are no others to be found and this place is dark! So I guess it was the mood most of all, and exactly that abandoned mine feeling, that made it great for me.
I actually thought the representation of a (fantasy)mine was very well done, with all the moving machinery, transport systems, etc.. Oh well, just one more example that you can never please everyone, or "different strokes for different folks", and all that…

I agree with Ghan. The whole "I'm captured and I need to get away from here ASAP!" feeling has been done very well, especially by the addition of the black troll (which is only 1 who keeps moving around, instead of the 3 you think you saw). You really crave for finding a way out, and the tense "You better start running" moments (which always makes me nervous) are done in a proper way I think.

Only problem I had with the dungeon were the friggin' annoying walking planks and steep walkways. I like to crouch a lot due to the visibility eye, and in walking/running crouch mode you get stuck a lot on the planks and the hills.

Well, the first one is under a ton of rocks and he's been there quite a while. I'm thinking there is more than one.

As far as mood goes, I think they've done a great job. If this is an isolated event and the other dungeons are full of combat and loot, then this will be quite acceptable. If this is the status quo and every dungeon has 6 creatures and 6 cutscenes, then it'll be a massive disappointment. Time will tell. I'm not out yet, so I still may have some stuff to discover.

One of the mistakes, in my opinion, is that I wasn't able to make any choices at character creation. I didn't get to choose skills, tweak stats, or anything. I would never enter any dungeon with one torch. That was an unrealistic choice that the game forced on me. I am playing a mage-type character and I only know one spell? Another unrealistic choice. This game is forcing my character down a very narrow path so far and that's just dull. Hopefully the story won't keep interfering with player choice, or it'll be a very poor mod. These guys feel like they wanted to make a Gothic, but of course Gothic can't be easily modded so they chose the much more moddable Oblivion.

Last edited:
For our German and English masters like GBG, Jaz, Alrik, etc. An offer from Team Nehrim:

If anyone wants to translate the notes and books, he can send us the translations at info @ nehrim.de or in the forum, then we can integrate them into a patch.

crpgnut, some of the pointers you just mentioned will become clear soon enough -- e.g. player's choice, wanting to be a mage. Furthermore, about the torch, isn't that obvious? You got knocked out and was left there to, well, die. Trolls don't like fire, so you had no torches.

Damn my old pc! I'm not running around the abbey, living in the big world, and even though I play on one of the lowest possible settings it keeps lagging. If it continues like this I'm afraid I will have to lay this game aside...

I'm not discouraged Neo. I'm just not ready to call this the greatest mod evar :) It's been okay, so far. I've barely scratched the surface though and am just jotting down my impressions here, as they happen. So far so-so.

For our German and English masters like GBG, Jaz, Alrik, etc. An offer from Team Nehrim:

If anyone wants to translate the notes and books, he can send us the translations at info @ nehrim.de or in the forum, then we can integrate them into a patch.

Interesting ... Since I don't have Oblivion (still !) nor Nehrim, I wouldn't know how I could help ...

But I could do it a bit, yes.

One very nice thing is that you get more xp for fighting tougher foes. There are things that'll wipe you out though, so exploration can be dangerous. It's not easy winning fights if you're outnumbered, at least at the lower levels. I've had to run like a baby, to the nearest guards, or get my butt handed to me. Running backwards and firing a bow is still doable though. I'm not sure if you're any slower or not, it doesn't appear so. I haven't found or been able to purchase a mortar and pestle yet, so I'm not sure if there are any differences to alchemy. It looks the same as far as only being able to identify one effect until your skill goes up. I entered a ruined fort and I have to be very careful not to get into a two on one situation. That's an auto-reload waiting to happen. Still, I'm only level 4-6 perhaps. No fighting spells at all, so my bow is my only ranged attack.

Okay, I ran to the place where you get spells and that opened up the game quite a bit. A weakness of Nehrim is that you really can't boost mana very easily. They compensated a bit by making spells cost less, so it's not too much of a problem. Once I got my spells, I've come back to the beginning areas and they're much easier when you have magic to back up the sword/bow fighting. I finally acquired a mortar and pestle, I had missed a merchant in the beginning areas. Alchemy seems exactly the same as Oblvion, except that the ingredients have different effects than they did in the big O.

Merchants are done a little differently. All merchants have unlimited gold, but they won't purchase anything above a certain amount. If a merchant reads 200, then 200 is the most he'll pay for anything. You can sell him 50,000 worth of stuff, just never making more than 200 on any one thing. That's workable because even magic items don't sell for much more than that.

One interesting thing is how they made the game a Gothic/Oblivion hybrid. You can raise skills two ways: by practicing/using them and by earning learning points and then finding a trainer. It's probably a good idea to horde learning points and use them when your skill level has already been raised a bunch via practice. I'm not doing that though. I just use them as I get them. I've been raising armorer that way recently so I don't have to repair 10,000 items to get up to repairing magic weapons. There are books in some of the dungeons that also reward you with extra learning points.

You'll also find those little plants that raise your carry limit, luck, etc. lying around near many dungeon entrances. They're almost always hidden, so it's a good idea to circle the area before entering. Leveling is nice and slow in this game. I've played 20 hours or so and I'm only level 7 or 8. My last level took quite a while.

Bounty hunting is an option in some cities. There will be a wanted board in the town that will send you on ever increasing payouts. Some of the criminals are outside and others are inside hideouts. In this game, anything that pays over 150 coins or so, is a nice payout at low levels.

The start dungeon was pretty exciting but the game is just too Oblivion for my taste. I quit after I got to the first village :|

Sounds really good.

Is the battle system the same as Oblivion? Does it feel like it's different? What can you tell us about the physical mechanics of playing it? Thanks.

It has been a long time when I last played Oblivion but to me it was excatly the same.

I'd say melee weapon combat feels the same. Archery is slightly stronger in Nehrim than in Oblivion and spell combat has some added features. Spell combat adds things like knockdown, freeze, etc. that we were seeing in earlier Oblivion mods. I really don't pay strong attention to any combat but magical though. I always play a spell-slinger.

At this time, I haven't found a way to make my own spells or enchant my own items. You will find gems that have magical properties and you can add one effect, so far, to each item you own. I haven't found a way to stack effects and I don't know if it's even possible. You might find gems with multiple effects later on or be able to craft such items yourself. While enchanting as we knew it is gone, they've added the Gothic-type crafting but I haven't messed with that yet.

Back
Top Bottom