Bard's Tale I - The Classics Return

It turns out I had not filled out my survey correctly. On the first page I had to select the desired version of Bards Tale Trilogy. When you re-open the survey it starts you on page 2 so I thought I had nothing else to select there. Oh well. Next time I will pay more attention.

The remaster is amazing! The graphics and sound and ambient noises are terrific - really love this.

One problem, the "Legacy Mode" isn't available until winter...and, I want to disable that damned auto-map and i want to disable the multiple saves, too! Party like it's 1989!

I filled out the survey but could have sworn I'd actually done that like, months ago. In any case, I guess I'll get the key at some point, right now I'm entertained.

Interestingly, the title screen theme is a remix of Sanctuary Score (Travellers Tune from BT1) which had been available on http://remix.kwed.org/ as a C64 remix for many years. They must have got in contact with Chris Prattini and asked for his permission to use it or indeed bought it, as it definitely is one of the best Bard's Tale remixes out there. It's also no longer available on the site.

I also had to redo my survey.

But the game looks and sounds great. Haven't played for long, but it seems they did a really nice job.

Also, a bonus for me and perhaps no one else, it plays really nicely on a touchscreen with just your hands. To move, just tap the left and right edges of the view window to turn and top and bottom for forward and back. Everything else on the screen can be tapped, and you even get the tooltips by dragging your finger onto items and removing it to select. Very nice.

Bah, double post.

It turns out I had not filled out my survey correctly. On the first page I had to select the desired version of Bards Tale Trilogy. When you re-open the survey it starts you on page 2 so I thought I had nothing else to select there. Oh well. Next time I will pay more attention.
That's exactly what I did. Doh.
Key turned up literally 7 minutes after correcting it.

The option for the digital remasters can't have been there in the survey originally since we all had to go back and adjust it. I got my key 2 minutes after I adjusted the survey.

So…guess I should give this one a try after I finish PoE2. I'm born in -81 and kind of missed out on the first generation of RPG's such as Ultima, the early Wizardrys and Bard's Tale. I've been meaning to try some of them out (I actually tried an hour of Wasteland), but they're bloody ancient by now and things such as no mapping nor tooltips or explanations makes the learning curve way more than just steep and I simply don't have that much time to spend in front of the PC. I guess this remake is close enough while still having some QoL improvements?

It's a great remake, the playability is better than the original.

I'm right in the middle of a modded Gothic 3 run. Must hold off until I finish it. That is going to be hard because I have already downloaded Bard's Tale on GoG and keep looking at it.

The Bards Tale Trilogy plays great. I think it would be great if Krome got to remake the gold box games as they seem to know what they are doing.

I filled out the survey and I've already received my BT Classic Trilogy Remastered key. Will activate it when I get home back from work.

Great remake and all, but why does a few 100MB game with not much to show in the graphics department (which I am not complaining about considering its legacy and I enjoy old DosBox game) require a minimum of 4GB of RAM and a quad core processor? It runs very slow on my 5 year old laptop (which can run recent games decently) and overheats the processor!

Never been a Bards Tale fan, but it's nice to see old games receive a facelift.

I really would have liked to see the game window made larger. There's an awful lot of dead, empty space on the screen now. More so that in the originals. With all of the other QoL improvements they've made, this seems like a no-brainer.

I, too, am puzzled by the steep system requirements for such a simple game.

Maybe we can wait a few more days to see if some mod pops out fixing that...

Still no key for me as of yet, but that survey thing is a huge mess, I'm sure I screwed up somewhere. It is a seriously cumbersome thing to make people slog through simply to get a key.

Back
Top Bottom