Deus Ex - The Best Game Ever? @ RPS

Bah.

The best game ever is Daikatana.

:D

Nonsense… Dungeon Lords is the best game ever.

Hahaha. That's actually the worst RPG I've ever had the misfortune of playing. I still remember it clearly. Think I've picked it up one hot summer day during the early 00s from a local CD store. There wasn't really much else and I needed my RPG fix. Then I got home and saw the races were completely generic while dialogue system was copied from Morrowind. It was just a cadaverous mish-mash of all kinds of games. I laughed almost constantly while playing that sorry game spawn. Played it for one afternoon and that was it. I still have the dusty box somewhere.

txa incoming :)

Truth be told, though, I actually liked Dungeon Lords. I still haven't really figured out why. I think it reminded me of old-school dungeon crawlers during a time where they weren't coming out.

Still a pretty terrible game, though.

Call it a guilty pleasure.

Deus Ex was the game that dragged me away from shooters towards rpgs and I can always thank it for that. It was my favourite game for a long long time but I don't know if I could say that now. Walker will probably find some 'problematic' stuff in there in his current play through. Games are 'problematic' when they are highly regarded and contain stuff reviewers would describe as racist/sexist in less well know games.

Deus Ex was the game that dragged me away from shooters towards rpgs and I can always thank it for that. It was my favourite game for a long long time but I don't know if I could say that now. Walker will probably find some 'problematic' stuff in there in his current play through. Games are 'problematic' when they are highly regarded and contain stuff reviewers would describe as racist/sexist in less well know games.

John Walker is always finding everything "problematic" and bigoted/sexist or whatever. I wouldn't take such complaints very seriously.

I think it also worked because it showed what direction the world could turn into without going with very unrealistic sci-fi, there were still many elements of familiarity. I think they were in advance on their time.

My best game ever is Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Probably *the* most immersive game I've ever played, and also had tons of great RPG mechanics that were really well-implemented. An absolute work of genius for me, that one. :)

It was just a cadaverous mish-mash of all kinds of games.

Ooh! I love that expression ...one of the developers talked about being inspired by the old school RPGS, as well as newer games like Gothic 2 and Jedi Knight II. As those were two of my faves ... I was hooked :)

txa incoming :)

Truth be told, though, I actually liked Dungeon Lords. I still haven't really figured out why. I think it reminded me of old-school dungeon crawlers during a time where they weren't coming out.

Still a pretty terrible game, though.

Call it a guilty pleasure.

haha - yeah, couldn't stay away from that :)

I don't call things guilty pleasures - why waste time being guilty for something you enjoyed? ;) That said, I always call it a mediocre game that I enjoyed way more than I should have and that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

But I like your point about the absence of similar games ... and it is very true. I don't think it would have managed the same level of attention now ... well, then again it would have launched on Kickstarter and been heavily funded by invoking DW Bradley and Wizardry VII ... that alone would guarantee funding :)

As for Deus Ex ... I played again last year and still really enjoy it. I don't pretend to be objective it or be able to analyze it - I am revisiting a favored place. It was never my favorite, and I don't consider it 'best ever' (whatever THAT means). But I think it was a pretty great game, and I still get pleasure.

But it gets me thinking about the 'threshold of playability' ... how far we can reach back and play. My first 'gaming addiction' was Castle Wolfenstein in 1981 for the Apple II. I can replay it on an emulator to this day ... but I have a harder time with games I never touched in the 80s. It is an interesting thing ...

Back
Top Bottom