Time loop genre finally gets serious (E3) - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Time loop genre finally gets serious (E3)

Default Time loop genre finally gets serious (E3)

June 10th, 2019, 15:39
Posted a few times already that I need to open a thread about time loop movies, because of lack of time I didn't. And of course, E3 comes and kicks my backside.

We've already seen experimenting with time loop quests in some games (Icewind Dale 2) or games where time loop plays a big portion (Hello Neighbor). But till now there wasn't a game where time loop is it's core idea while adding other genres as a subgenre.

Note that Nier Automata does not belong to time loop genre, it's bullshit grind filler to justify getting some "optimal" ending. Same goes for episodic Hitman, you can repeat a mission to assassinate a target in a different, but that changes nothing in the world. Also, newgame+ cheap2add feature (cancer) which is pretty popular is not time loop regardless of new content it brings in a game.

The best kept secret of indie scene is 12 minutes, described as "An interactive thriller about a man trapped in a time loop". It's still in development and when will it appear god knows. Business as usual when it comes to indies.
"The most interesting game I played at PAX East."
POLYGON

“The most interesting unreleased game I’ve played this year.”
KOTAKU

“One of the most intriguing projects we’ve seen a long while.”
ROCK PAPER SHOTGUN
It involves living and dying in the course of 12 minutes, all of them spent in a three-room apartment. Then your character wakes up back in time with a memory of what happened and tries to survive those 12 minutes.

Well, their stalling caused someone else, someone big, to step into the genre that practically doesn't exist in gaming industry.
On E3, Arkane announced Deathloop.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2…game-deathloop
Arkane Lyon, the studio behind the fabulous Dishonored series, has announced a new game called Deathloop.

It seems to be about two assassins - Colt and Julianna - caught in a time-loop, fighting each other over and over again ad infinitum. They're trapped in a place which was once, it seems, a haven, but has now turned very sour.

Solid details were thin although the cinematic trailer was stylish. Arkane Lyon did say, however, Deathloop will feature the kind of gameplay the studio is now known for and let you tackle situations any way you like.
Trailer:
loading…

Of course, PCGamer's ignorant fools say it's "It's a first-person action game…" and "Deathloop is Groundhog Day with assassins…".
https://www.pcgamer.com/deathloop-is…g-from-arkane/
No it's not, it's time loop game. Lemme be a tad optimistic though as they didn't say it's "immersive sim".

If any studio out there can make it work, it's Arkane. They're never shy of trying new things and usually produce something brilliant (must forget Prey, must forget).
Can't wait.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)

June 10th, 2019, 15:45
So basically Dishonored 2 again just different and in a new setting.

Anyway could be interesting we'll see.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

June 10th, 2019, 16:00
No LOL, DH2 had environment shifting (and not in the whole game). Here we get something never seen before - time shifting through the whole game.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

June 10th, 2019, 16:06
Sounds like the last Thief game then. I also recall an FPS game with the same concept. Can't remember the name but it had to do with time loops and a wrist device.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

June 10th, 2019, 20:38
Time loop genre ? Like the greeting of the ground hog ?
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

June 10th, 2019, 22:01
I wonder why you didn't mention Lola rennt. Avoiding german cinematography, especially such brilliant titles? Tsk tsk…

Spoiler
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

June 10th, 2019, 22:42
Mooncrash was great ( and overlooked) DLC that had a clever use or Immersive Sim/Death…wonder if they're building on that?

But I can't see this doing all that well. Their games usually lack an extra "hook' for commercial success.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

June 11th, 2019, 11:20
They lack of nothing. They don't want to make games for kindergarden audience* and I love them for it. It won't sell as Candy Crush Saga lollipops and they know it.

---------------------------------------------------------
* - Except their stupid Prey. Whoever in Arkane thought it was a good idea to make a game with IQ of a bacteria should be sacked. The starting then ending twist redeems it? No it doesn't, it just makes it more sad they wasted such twist on a grinder.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

June 12th, 2019, 14:08
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Sounds like the last Thief game then.
Oh yes, because I'd like to loop back in time and make myself forget that thing existed…

Cacheperl

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 14:50
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
They lack of nothing. They don't want to make games for kindergarden audience* and I love them for it. It won't sell as Candy Crush Saga lollipops and they know it.

---------------------------------------------------------
* - Except their stupid Prey. Whoever in Arkane thought it was a good idea to make a game with IQ of a bacteria should be sacked. The starting then ending twist redeems it? No it doesn't, it just makes it more sad they wasted such twist on a grinder.
You're one weird, weird dude Joxer.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 16:23
El loco.

Sadly, again I'm abnormally busy thus no time loop movies thread yet. Maybe if I clear all "dates" (if only) fast, maybe I manage to make it later.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Time loop genre finally gets serious (E3)