Bethesda Softworks - Turned Down "A Game of Thrones" Title

You would probably have a hard time finding people on this board who think that the amount of units sold equals quality. So I'm not sure what you are debating about, or who you are debating with?

I think he's debating with himself ;). No one ever brought up quality, just whether or not Fallout 1+2 could be considered "big hits" financially, even by their own time's standards. I thought you were perfectly clear in your explanation...

Back on topic, I always knew that Fallout 1+2 were more along the lines of "cult classics," but assuming that some of the numbers that people are tossing out are true, it sold quite a bit less than I thought it did. I guess that helps prove my point that Bethesda is responsible for making the IP a more prominent name, and that the relative obscurity of the Game of Thrones license among gamers would not have been an obstacle if they had decided to pursue such a project.

No, not an obstacle but it also doesn't add much value. If Bethsoft have to do all the work raising the prominence, they could do it with anything without paying the fee. Yes, they bought Fallout, but now they own it permanently.

Despite their success, they still only have one BGS team. Taking on another game would be a major change for them - either less Elder Scrolls / Fallout, or the financial risk of an extra team or farm it out to someone else. If you delay Elder Scrolls 6 to make A Game of Thrones, do you really think you are ahead?

Well, I the Fallout 3 CE sells very poorly here. One is even now able to find them (although they have become more scare in the recent months).

I doubt that it sold poorly. Most likely they just had a crap load of CE editions(due to the fact collectors edition does not mean the same thing anymore, now they make a ton of those.)

Back
Top Bottom